steverm250

Sep 20, 2005
i have a kx85 (2003) and the problem i have is that when you fully rev the bike it seems to splutter and hold back. when you start the bike all is fine and when you rev it normally it's ok too. but when you ride the bike if you feed the power on it seems to be sluggish and if you try to full throttle the bike it splutters as though not enough petrol is getting through. ( it's like ridding a bucking horse). the bike was fine the last time it was ridden and the only thing that has been done was it has been washed. i have changed the plug, changed the air filter and i have had the carb off and cleaned that too. any ideas!!!!!!!!!!!. thanks. :think:

Martin Cole

Oct 12, 2003
Hi - It is unlikely washing the KX will have caused a problem. I've never had a problem with our KX85 in three seasons of racing and heavy washing. I would suspect a fuel blockage in the tank - either water or dirt or perhaps the vent pipe is blocked. If not, check the kill switch is not earthing out or that the earth wire from the coil is tightly fixed to the frame. If it was running OK it can't be very serious - just annoying until you find the cause.
Regards,
MC

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I'm guessing crap in the carb first but since you mentiond doing it already I'd also look at the power valve and linkage to make sure they are working. could be gummed up.

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
Was it still wet when you tried? Perhaps a short. Check plug wire for cracks and ground being clean and dry. Ground is usually under the tank on frames with backbone like that.
Im sure you did, but was the exhaust plugged when you washed it.

steverm250

Sep 20, 2005
thanks for all your help so far. the bike was dry when i tried it. the bike had been washed about 4 days earlier but with no bung in the exhaust, but i was careful not to get any water up it. also some one said about a crank seal, if the seal had gone wouldn't there be water in the oil and turn it grey. if so the oil is ok. if not could you give me some more info. also the power valve seems to be working properly. any other comments would be a great help as i am scratching my head over this. :bang:

Last edited:

Huck1

Aug 3, 2005
Possibly, but I just had a similar thing happen to me and the crank seal was bad, it was easy to find. When I took the ignition cover off, and the "flywheel" there was small streaks of oil on the back side off said flywheel. Also there was dirt and oil collected at the bottom of this cavity. It fixed the problem to replace this seal. My bike would idle fine, but revs would make it sputter and bog. Plus the bike ran great last ride, then I went to get it ready and it would not rev.

Last edited:
Top Bottom