CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
LMAO, you're all full of it.

They are the same bike, both built by Kawasaki. The only difference is the color of the plastics.

yzjumperz

Mar 29, 2006
lol captainobvious got to it before me. I remember reading somewhere that until like 2006 the bikes have been built by Kawi and are exactly the same.

husabutt

Dec 26, 2005
CaptainObvious said:
LMAO, you're all full of it.

They are the same bike, both built by Kawasaki. The only difference is the color of the plastics.

The RM85 and the KX85 were not one of the Suzuki/Kawasaki joint venture bikes.

RM85K4.jpg

05_KX85.jpg

From 2004 to present the bikes are basicly unchanged.
The exhaust pipe runs up the right side on the RM and to the left on the Kawasaki. Bore and stroke are different. The Suzuki has a longer stroke lending itself to a more torque favored powerband. Whereas the Kawasaki is a bit more of a rever. A major difference is that the Kawasaki comes with a Keihen PWK 28 carb and the Suzuki comes with an inexpensive, old technology, Keihin PE 28 carb. The Kawasaki also has a larger fuel tank.

Perhaps you were thinking of the KLX 110 and the DRZ 110 which are in fact the same bike except for the plastic.

I would pick the KX over the RM.

Last edited:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
While you are correct on the RM85/KX85 not being one of the joint venture models you're still full of it when you get into the "higher quality" components on the KX. They are both decent bikes that have very similar power characteristics as they both have a powervalve engine in contrast to the YZ/CR.

husabutt

Dec 26, 2005
Chili said:
While you are correct on the RM85/KX85 not being one of the joint venture models you're still full of it when you get into the "higher quality" components on the KX. They are both decent bikes that have very similar power characteristics as they both have a powervalve engine in contrast to the YZ/CR.
RM85 Rear Shock

Cody305

Jan 19, 2006
The Rm is hands down a better bike than the KX (stock) We have owned 3 RM's and the 05-06 models have been updated with better componants than the previous models. The KX is a dinasour. They haven't done anything to this bike in years besides BNG. Heck the KX won't even sit on a stand propperly. Very bad design!

With that being said, we broke the frame of our RM and have seen at least 3 others that have done the same(in the same place) We switched to the Honda CR and love this bike. It is an 05 model with the new carb and better porting than the 96-04 models. In a drag race side by side with the RM they were about equal in 1st and 2nd gear, but when the CR hit 3rd it was bye-bye to the RM. This was a stock CR vs a mod RM. Plus the Honda is put together way better than the other bikes. Parts are cheaper and esier to get too!

husabutt

Dec 26, 2005
Cody305 said:
The Rm is hands down a better bike than the KX (stock) We have owned 3 RM's and the 05-06 models have been updated with better componants than the previous models. The KX is a dinasour. They haven't done anything to this bike in years besides BNG. Heck the KX won't even sit on a stand propperly. Very bad design!

With that being said, we broke the frame of our RM and have seen at least 3 others that have done the same(in the same place) We switched to the Honda CR and love this bike. It is an 05 model with the new carb and better porting than the 96-04 models. In a drag race side by side with the RM they were about equal in 1st and 2nd gear, but when the CR hit 3rd it was bye-bye to the RM. This was a stock CR vs a mod RM. Plus the Honda is put together way better than the other bikes. Parts are cheaper and esier to get too!

Do you know what the stock jet needle for your CR is?

Thanks,

Eric

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
So the one example you offer states the RM has a dated shock, likely from a source that is trying to sell you an upgrade. Your same source states it has likely the best forks on the mini market, does this mean the KX comes with inferior forks? Seems like a trade off to me, no bike is going to have the best of every componenet on the market or there would be no competitors for them on the market.

Making a blanket statement with little basis in fact is expected in the mini forum, however it's usually from youngsters who's response include "ride red" or "get a yamaha because I have one a it rawks"

husabutt

Dec 26, 2005
Chili said:
you're still full of it

Mr. Chili, my new unidentified foe:

You are quite the Ambassador for DirtRider.net aren't you? Do you regularly follow new members around looking for an argument? Perhaps this is your job here. I thought that I was bringing good information to the table in order to be helpful. An information exchange that benefits all. If you as a senior core member and obviously the most knowledgeable member of the website here treat newcommers in an antagonistic fashion right from the get go I can only imagine how things will be after a month or two. After you have run everyone off the board and declared yourself KING OF THE MINIBIKES then you alone will be able to spread your opinion to none without opposition.

You may not realize it but you have a moral obligation to set a good example on this forum to those kids that may look up to you for no other reason than you are an adult. Off Road Motorcyclists are generally a great bunch of responsible people but there are rotten apples in every bunch. If you have a problem with me then lets take it private. There is absolutely no reason to use bad language or to wage personal attacks against me in front of minors.

Last edited:

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
husabutt said:
Mr. Chili, my new unidentified foe:

You are quite the Ambassador for DirtRider.net aren't you?

I try to be, as I enjoy the site and the fact it doesn't tend to be full of baseless useless garbage like so many other sites out there.

husabutt said:
Do you regularly follow new members around looking for an argument?

Not looking for an arguement at all.

husabutt said:
I thought that I was bringing good information to the table in order to be helpful. An information exchange that benefits all.

Which was why I called you on your misleading blanket statement regarding the "higher quality" KX components. It was easy to see from your next post that you do have some knowledge of the mini's. The intent of my post was to get to the heart of the info instead of misleading blanket statements.

husabutt said:
you as a senior core member and obviously the most knowledgeable member of the website here treat newcommers in an antagonistic fashion right from the get go I can only imagine how things will be after a month or two. After you have run everyone off the board and declared yourself KING OF THE MINIBIKES then you alone will be able to spread your opinion to none without opposition.

Bit of a drama queen are we?

husabutt said:
You may not realize it but you have a moral obligation to set a good example on this forum to those kids that may look up to you for no other reason than you are an adult.

I agree which is why I tried to cut off your baseless blanket statement, as an adult we would expect the same from you.

husabutt said:
Off Road Motorcyclists are generally a great bunch of responsible people but there are rotten apples in every bunch.

I couldn't agree more.

husabutt said:
If you have a problem with me then lets take it private. There is absolutely no reason to use bad language or to wage personal attacks against me in front of minors.

If you call stating "you're full of it" as a personal attackor bad language then I apologize for that fierce attack. I have no problem with you other than your original post in this thread, it seems you have some good knowledge of the mini's and I'd love to see it shared within the forums. If you'd like to "take it private" my e-mail is available through my profile.

husabutt

Dec 26, 2005
I think the fact that the Suzuki is the only 85, out of the five available, that does not come with a Keihin PWK 28 carb but a Keihin PE 28 speaks volumns. Unless a potential purchaser has done a fair amout of his/her homework they will not know that the Suzuki carb is very very old technology. I am not privy as to why Suzuki choose this component but would not purchase the bike myself due to its presence. It is one (of many) of the reasons we decided on a YZ 85. I don't have an axe to grind in the least. If you like the RM 85 that is just wonderful. However if someone is asking for an opinion and an opinion is posted, that post has validity and should not be ridiculed as the original person that asked the question is seeking feedback. If my post does not meet your standards a friendly reminder would suffice instead of posturing for the information seekers. These forums can and do quickly degenerate into mindless bashing for reasons unknown. A drama queen? Nah. Someone that has been around the block a few times and has seen good exchanges of information turn into something so distasteful that a great resource becomes almost useless...... yeah.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
husabutt said:
If you like the RM 85 that is just wonderful.

This is a non issue as I have no preferrence to any of the mini's. My son has been done with mini's for 3 years now, however when he was on them we chose green.

husabutt said:
A drama queen? Nah. Someone that has been around the block a few times and has seen good exchanges of information turn into something so distasteful that a great resource becomes almost useless...... yeah.

I too have been around the block and seen great resources become almost useless which is why I called you out on your first post in this thread as I'd rather not see that happen here.

If you call
husabutt said:
The KX has higher quality components.
A good exchange of information then we once again have a difference of opinion as I see it as almost useless.

kawicam125

Uhhh...
Mar 14, 2006
my little bro. is on a green 85, and the thing is fast( quick)! not to start an uproar, but, ive ridden( not owned) red, green, and just about to try blue and the red had no low end torque at all! the kx ( or so ive read/heard) does not have a powervalve( along with the cr and yz) as opposed to the rm and sx having one. the pv ( or , yet again, so ive read/heard) makes the powerband more usable. the cr will pull on top though, but it just seemed like i could get more out of the kx over the cr.

Last edited:

gearhead730

Mar 25, 2006
I Have A Kx Now They Are A Lot Of Trouble To Much Maintnence They Dont Have The Best Suspension Either I Would Go With A Rm If You Race And A Kx For A Putting Bike. :boss:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Chili the bad Canadian apple :laugh:

Come on now Chili don't you know that letting everyone spill whatever information they feel is fact is the way of the Internet? :think: Oh, wait that's right we don't do that here.

Every mini out there has good and bad points, every single one of them. Base the decission on a well rounded and honest review of the rider, the type of riding, dealer support and the answer usually become evident.

husabutt

Dec 26, 2005
Chili said:
Nice looking scoot, What's with the kickstand, Off Road racing vs MX?

The bike is actually just set up for off road riding not racing.

One tooth larger sprocket in the back
One tooth smaller in the front
Decalworks Supermoto decals
Guts Racing tall seat foam & cover
Tag upper clamp and bars
Pit Posse Fuel tank cap
TH Racing graphics
Seal savers
Works Connection skid plate, frame and radiator brace
FMF pipe w/Turbine spark arrestor silencer
Phathead Racing head w/ two steps higher compresion dome
SFC Ignition and clutch cover