KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
You gotta love the celebs and their death-defying stunts. I laughed so hard as Dennis Rodman face-planted into a canyon wall, grabbed his chin to check for bleeding and then pretended to be unconscious as they lowered him to the ground. But clearly the low point was '80's teen idol Lorenzo Lamas, former star of some syndicated TV show where he played a bad boy (but really a good guy) on a Harley, jumping a Honda CRF across a "100-foot" gap containing a bunch of cars. But wait...upon further review it appeared that the landing ramp was extended about 30 feet in, just in case he came up short. The camera guys did their best to conceal what appeared to be a gap of about 60 feet (hmmm...where have we seen this before?). And maybe I was distracted by Lorenzo's beautifully sculpted hair (no helmet head on that guy), but it appeared that the rows of cars were seperated some sort of gap running the length of the two ramps, that may have been a soft landing area in case he didn't make it to the landing ramp. We never see this directly, of course, because the views were from the bottom of the landing ramp or from behind, as he launched over the take-off ramp.

The high point would be the interview with his charming wife, who made mention of their 6 kids. Yeeeaah. Uh-huh. Six kids, all ripped from her 25-year-old rock-hard loins. You betcha. Six kids.

Anyway, justice was served with his wheelie attempt and subsequent crash. Unfortunately he walked away from it, pride unhurt by the fact that he is rich, teenager girls continue to cut out his photos from Tiger Beat magazine and paste them to the insides of their school lockers, and his model-wife has big fake boobs.

More quality programming from our friends at Fox.

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
Several years ago, there was some desperate for publicity celeb show which involved a 100 yard dash. Tall, handsome Lorenzo was strutting. Also in the race was the actor who played Wally in Leave it to Beaver.
When the race started, the Wally guy could turn his short legs about 11,000 rpm and was pulling Lorenzo. The look of shock in the slo-mo replays was priceless. Unfortunately, Lorenzo *pulled* his mighty hamy and was unable to finish.

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
Well, 60ft is a good jump, 100ft is even better! I'm impressed with anyone doing that kind of gap. So while yeah, might not seem to impressive to most MX riders but hey, gotta give the guy credit for trying it.

Lee W.
L85

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Originally posted by LWilson250
gotta give the guy credit for trying it.

No, not really. There's guys doing jumps like that every day in their backyards, or every weekend at the track. Why does somebody need a special on TV to do it?

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Hey, I'm easy to please, I get impressed by anyone who gets more than two feet of air and travels a yard or so down the trail :confused:

Katoomer, are you trying to scare off our prospective DRN celeb members, what do you mean you didn't know Ricky Shroeder is DRN member SilverSpooner250 :eek: :p

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I happened to tune in just as he was going to atempt it. I wasn't too impressed, although his wife look pretty good ;)

My wife asked my son and I if we were impressed by the jump and I explained that guys jump that distance and more every lap on a lot of MX races. Not to mention some of the FMX stunts. Mr, Lamas didn't even try to cross up :) Well I guess he did try to cross up during the ill fated wheelie atempt. :eek:

02cr250r

Spammer
Oct 5, 2001
I was laughing as I looked at that ramp, it was like tatally flat, and the landing looked like it was about 40 feet long. I could have done that when I was 12 on my beat up, old RM125.

funktree

~SPONSOR~
Jul 21, 2001
That rodman thing was great TV though.
I love when you hear him yelling

"Oh YEAH"
"Oh YEAH"
"Oh BEEP" as he sees the cliff

that was the highlite of the show for me

endosports

Jan 10, 2002
KaTooMer, I couldn't have said it any better!

This show was such a joke, the only highlight was of this guys wife what a hottie!

Lorenzo Lamas is such an idiot that he needs a speedometer to jump a 60 foot "flat gap". The ramps were so wussy compared to what we are used to seeing...backflips, triples or whatever. And they made such a big deal of the fact that it was barely sprinkling. I believe that the world record holder of distance jumping did it in the pouring rain on a stock YZ250. Lowenzo hit the ramp at 60 on a CRF450 with fricking motard tires! I thought something was up when they cut to commercial so fast after the jump. :silly: And then tried to wheelie and managed to high side it in the street and get himself stuck under the bike.

Give me a break. :uh:

thebray

Jul 21, 2000
Not bad for a poser.It did require more skill than that chick they set on fire.
I want to see them shoot Gary Coleman out of a cannon.

endosports

Jan 10, 2002
Rodman got hucked off a cliff in a car and swung on a rope out of the convertible...swung one way and back the other and the rope was to long and (George of the jungle style) smacked the side of the cliff!!!

and after the stunt they interviewed him and he said that he would do it again!

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Did you see the Ripley's Believe it or not show with "Mike Brown" (not the current racer) lastnight? He was trying for the "record" of 200 ft and landed at the base of the ramp. He bounced around under the trailer the landing ramp was built on. That was pretty awful! They said he broke his hip, tore a leg off, busted a couple of internals, etc. I think they said it was in '99 or something. It was pretty nasty to say the least.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
I remember hearing about the Mike Brown (not THAT Mike Brown) incident, but didn't ever know it had been taped until last night. They correctly pointed out that had he not bailed exactly as he did, he would have been decapitated (just barely slid under the stack of flatbed trailers that were set up as the landing ramp). Very ugly crash, and totally amazing he survived.

SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
I watched Larenzo jump and I was impressed that a nobody, with little experience on a dirtbike would try a gap like that in the first place, regardless if he had a cheater landing ramp or not. Hats off to him.

I was also there in person and saw Mike Brown hit the back of the tractor trailers. He wasn't trying to set any record, just make the jump. The gap was 180'. There were to many things to go wrong on that jump that did. It was the single worst thing I have ever seen happen on a bike, and I was sick afterwards. I thought I had just watched a guy get killed on a bike, and I paid to watch.

Top Bottom