Lean Jetting with colder plug-Help

helio

Dec 19, 2001
I have my CR jetted as following:
175 Main
4 rd Needle clip
52 pilot
BR8ES

The bike runs great with these specs but It is summer and I would like to use a BR9ES to keep more cool my engine only to be safe...
Pls tell me if makes sense to go a size leaner in main and needle with the BR9ES ?
I think to change the plug I must play also with the jetting...

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Helio, actually, plug heat range has little to do with engine temperature. You would be better servered by richening the jetting slightly if you want greater margin of safety, or going to a different coolant.

helio

Dec 19, 2001
As far as I know leaning the jetting will increase heat in the cylinder and a step hotter plug do the some thing.
So I have thought that could be a good mod leaning a bit the jetting and compensate it with a colder plug.
More opinions will be very appreciated.

Thanks all.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
plug heat range and jetting are two completely different things that have to work with each other. plug heat range is only a matter of burning hot enough to clean deposits off the tip yet not too hot that it can prematurely ignite the incoming fuel/air mixture before its time. Jetting is trying to get the perfect air fuel ratio so you can burn all of the air /fuel ratio as clean as it can withot getting the combustion chamber temperature past its safe point. I said combustion chamber temperatures not spark plug.Although I am learning this out for myself and not an expert, the different scenerios can have similar problems . too lean and /or too hot of a plug can damage your bike, and too rich and/ or too cold of a plug will foul the plug. Now if you run too lean of a air fuel with too cold of a plug I can see the picture of , "ok my plug fouled it most not be hot enough" and then you sieze your motor when you put in a hotter plug. Or trying to lean out the plug fouling with jets making it even leaner yet siezing the motor.

there are no real shortcuts! proper jetting and proper heat range plug is the proper way to go! the only shortcut possible that would make any sense to me is jet the bike for the coldest driest most dense air that you would encounter and live with the spooge, fouled plugs, and not as crisp /well running bike as the air gets less dense. But there are a lot more variables in the mix than if the weather is extremely hot and humid the cylinder tempature could raise up just becasue the cooling effect is not as great around it. let alone altitude and air filter < how certain are you that you have exactly the same amount of air filter oil in it everytime you clean it> and probably a whole lot of variables that I couldn't understand .

Top Bottom