whizzit

Feb 6, 2004
I just bought my first dirt bike about a month ago so I'm still learning to ride (I didn't even ride bicycles, I know different but yea anyways lol) and I see other people sort of stick their leg out in turns. Just wondering why you do that and what does it do?

I'd search for that but didn't know what its called or whatever. Aside from that any other tips you have on turns, mainly tight/slow speed would be helpfull, haven't really found anyone to ride with yet.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Helps you balance, and is there just in case you need to catch yourself. Try not to let your foot touch the ground unless you need it to. I got into the bad habit of letting my foot drag when I started riding. It took months of practice and concentration to stop. Don't know if that will help, but I wish someone would have told me that when I started. Good luck, and remember, the best way to learn is riding. Then riding some more! YZ165

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Hold on too the bike w/your knees & keep your elbows up.. Most important though, have fun :ride:
Rick

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
I would heartily recommend purchasing one of the riding techniques books or videos. It will help you with this and other elements of riding a dirt bike. One good one is the Pro Motocross and Off Road Riding Techniques. Lots of advanced stuff in there, but enuf basics to help you understand what you're supposed to be doing. Do a search on Amazon.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Putting your leg out AND forward is to put more weight on the front tire to make it get better traction. For balance is secondary. Also slide forward on the seat as far as possible to shift as much weight as you can forward to aid in turns.

JulianC

Aug 13, 2004
Some advice i have been given and i dont know how it works but it does is, while you are learning and have your in side foot pointed forward in the turn, puch down as hard as you can with you oppersite foot on the peg. As i dont understand how it works but it does. It helped me maintain heaps more speed in long corners and maintain better balance and traction in tight slow corners

SlowMo'e

Jul 3, 2003
It is also easy to snag your foot when riding in the woods. I did this once and was on the couch for a week with a pulled back muscle.

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
in smooth corners you want to put that inside foot not out, but towards the front...like next to your front hub and try to weight the outside peg with your other and get your "c*cksack" up on the tank.

~thats the advice I got from a riding class concerning cornering and using your leg.
It was a great class...until my 13 yr old daughter (she was also in the calss) starting asking what a 'c*cksack" was. lol

Mlcboarder

Oct 5, 2004
i really just learned from experience where to put my legs and feet. When im turning a sharp corner, and need to lean, i just did whats most comofortable and what felt like would keep me from falling off. As YZ165 said, just keep riding and thats how you get better.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
re:

Pro Motocross and Off Road Riding Techniques

Very good book!!! Just bought it last week and I have learned a TON of things that I am doing wrong... Wish I would have purchased it prior to this season as I'm sure I'd be much faster by now...

- BA

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom