motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I was aware of the board, but some of the days there were many events going on and I couldn't remember when was what, and the board couldn't be seen from a bike.  I'm not complaining, I guess I could have just brought a pen and paper along.

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
we already talked about a larger board near the track entrance.... we are not short of ideas...

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
This being my first and hopefully not last DW. I really have no complaints with how the events went. The only comment I have, since I mostly spectated the only thing I notice is the number of people that can't tell time. If the schedule says 10:00 for the team HS it and it's announced be there by 9:30 that's when you be there. I saw guys coming over after the start time. Just seems if the first event goes off late it just snowballs. So the thing I think will make DW04 better is to "be on time". Those people have enough to do please don't make them wait. :thumb:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I'd like to see the multiple entrances to the main track reduced to just a few. Doing this would address two safety concerns I had:

1) Kids and adults co-mingling being on track when they should not have been. The kids really didn’t pay any attention to the track schedule (I had to chase my own son off a few times). If there was only one or two entrances to the track the schedule could have been enforced, and

2) People just entering where ever they pleased, sometimes at places where a rider already on the track couldn’t see the other rider entering.

Of course, these changes would require volunteers. For safety-sake I’m sure a lot of us would agree to watch the gate for an hour.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
( FYI: when the fencing is complete (before next DW), there will be only one way on and off the main track )

Weld it

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2001
Okie,

How about when you sign up for the races you are assigned a time for flagging on the MX track before or after your race or practice session
( ie: if you race the C class you flag the A - class, bikes with lights flag the C class )? I volunteered for all of the practice and the first 3 or 4 moto's. It gives you a vantage spot to watch from and it is greatly needed.

Or even put some benefit of flagging to encourage participation :

Reserved seating for the give aways or extra ticket two ?

A drawing just for people who did flag ?

I know someone was riding around on a 4 wheeler ( sorry I forgot who )
offering water / soda for the flaggers and that was greatly appreciated.

Granted it you shouldn't have to give something to entice participation
but it is very important to have flaggers out there to cut down on injuries /
accidents.

Weld it

Crispy

Boss's Lil' Sis
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2001
Uh... Okie... theres a DW meeting Thursday at dads...I am sending the DRN jet for you... be there in time for dinner.. 6:00.. :-)

Thank you for the great suggestions ... we may not be able to incorporate them all by next year, but they do not go unheard. Keep 'em coming!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I rode the Poker Run in Casey '01.  Since then, I have just as much fun riding and shooting the bull.  Helping folks when they need it is just part of the way I was brought up.  Now that Okie is an OKIE, again, he'll have a better opportunity to set things up in advance to his liking.  I'll be there to help AND to play devil's advocate.  I really, REALLY want to cut down on the injuries in '04.

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
Id like to say that everyone did a great job at my first Dirtweek. It will definitely not be my last. I think that it is great to have something so massive and wonderful to look forward to year after year were everyone meets on the same page. Its like your really long lost family reunion(forgive me Im from Ark.) Id hate to hear someone leave from DW bitchin' Id think that even the greats of Guy Cooper and Dr D had a blast.
My only recomendation is more of everything. More racing, poker runs, giveaways, track, trails, camping, hookups, water, days(or weeks), did i say trails, hs, single track, ridin, Eddies cookin, night time ridin, trials trails, and last that I can remember right now a lot more workers.
Everyone did a great job with every event happening. The problem is that DW is only going to get bigger so I think that it is fair to say that the workers, instead of work effort, should be growing at a larger rate. And none of the workers even got to enjoy themselves anywhere near the amount that I did. The most I worked was on supper and videoin the motox races. That is not being fair to all of the participants. If you dont work you dont eat. the same goes for DW. Dont work Dont ride. Im a giving type of person and I feel like I owe all of the workers a little extra hand and I feel like we should all give back what we are actually given in. The number of people that put on an enduro is twice the # that was working too hard to enjoy DW. Somethings wrong here. there are more people working a 5hr event than what are working a 7 day Mardi gras. for Dirtriders.

I ride to get a vacation and to enjoy the different scenery and to log the miles on. Just bc im on a great vacation doesn't mean that I cant help with something that I enjoy. It is sometimes hard to give up the riding though. DW was my first time on a MX track, my first harescamble and trophy, my first poker run on the dirt, And the Very Best fun I have had at 10 at night. There needs to be a nighttime run every night. Im willing to pay an extra 10 a day if you will I think that it was cheaper to be at DW for a week than it would have been to stay at home for the week Fun Factor of only 20 dollars for everyday is a great deal....

I think I Didn't get to ride enough with everybody I didn't get to bs enough with everybody but the workers worked enough for everybody.

Thanks to everyone that gave me the opportunity to truely enjoy my only weeks vacation that I will be sure to get about the same time every year.
Can I please have a reason to get 2DWs off of work.
Thanks for being the coolest and the best
Jon

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
more of everything?... including (pretend) fist fights in the dark???

will we have to add a "motard" race too? hmmmm, Brownie would have to provide some blacktop somewhere........... Hopefully we can have the GP race that everyone signed up for...next year.

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
hey Pokie we are still dirt riders ok
Id like to say that Im sorry for entering wereevernthheck I could get in on the kidie track. I feel as though it is fair to enter the track AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE about it. just like how Dr D did. my bad different scenario. It was my first track time and if I could get a rythm instead of a rut I would ride a few more laps on a track. It took me 3 days to get the nerve up to want to ride the big track because I was an embarassment to 10 year olds and women. I shouldve had a pink outfit on or maybe even a ten foot flag whipin in the air. i really didn't realize that motocrossers get p od when someone isn't dragin down the starting streatch to enter the race track. I feel like its a big track so the is no need to enter were you aren't wanted. Have a popup at the entrance and the next few riders that get there after the fast track users go through or when they are on the other side of the track let the ones that just arrived in the last 30 sec or min. take out. It would almost be like havin a race all of the time.
I just sat down to say Im sorry for entering the track and for holding up everyone in playmode. the track was a dif kind of challenge for me being a woods rider. I really think that DW2K4 could be just like the last I would be very grateful. That if I can get Smitty to give me 1st in the tag team again. This was really a great week I cant wait to get back(10 mo. 14 days 3 hrs.)

thanks for everyone hard work and determination to make the next better

woodsguy2000

~SPONSOR~
Apr 24, 2001
I am sure the powers that be are still trying to recover from this years event. But I have a question, is there a date for the '04 event yet? I have to pick vacations for next year on weds. the 19th! Thanks.

Rob

Crispy

Boss's Lil' Sis
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2001
Thought I would pop in to let you all know... that we have taken EVERY suggestion listed here and evaluated the cost/effort for each and incorporated what we can for next year... needless to say I think the only thing we wont do is STAFF t-shirts because of the cost!

Thank you all for all the great suggestions and comments. I think that next years event will be even better from an organizational and safety stand point! We will be asking for volunteers to help out more next year... so be ready! Thanks again!

Chris

woodsguy2000

~SPONSOR~
Apr 24, 2001
Thanks for the info on the date. Will see if I can swing it. We bid vacations by seniority, even with 27 years I still bid 4th.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by Okiewan

I have a possible solution for that.
Beanies with propellers?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Lou has to wear a kitten skin cap. :scream: The kitten skin trench coat is optional Lou :laugh:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by Patman

Beanies with propellers?

Put one on your helmet and lean back when you are totally out of control. Float off the bike and gently down to earth ... :laugh:

Seriously, I don't mind kicking in and buying my own. Brian and I can be Water Boys ... :thumb:

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
"Make it better"? How on earth could it get any better. The weather sucked but I had a blast!!! Really. I can make it better for me by riding more, helping flag and other things as needed. 04 is gong to be better just because it will be my second DW :thumb:

Top Bottom