MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
So the motor in my 74 K4 Z50 has killed its self and for what it would take to rebuild it I can pick up a 140cc Lifan motor with a wiring harness, carb, oil cooler, shifter, kicker all that little stuff. My question is any one put a new lifan into an old Z50 befor? I doubt the stock exhaust will bolt back up, any one have somthing they know works with the lifan in an old Z? Any thing I should know before jumping into this? Other then tires, chain, bearings, and other small maint. type things what should I expect to have to pick up? Im mainly doing this as snaped the crank on my YZ and they dont make bottem end parts for it any more. Im going to frankenstine in a different air cooled 125 motor over summer. Thanks guys, I cant wait this should be a beast. :p

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'm pretty sure the case mounting holes have been the same almost forever so provided those match up it should be plug and play dude. Just fit a bigger exhaust because the 50 pipe will choke that big cube engine big time. Expect to do a little wire tracing or swapping of connectors but nothing extensive.

SHSPVR

Oct 24, 2006
MONKEYMOUSE
Yes you can do that with Z50 but a 140cc Lifan motor is going be a real hand full and your problem is going be where to mount the oil cooler I would recommend the smaller 110/125

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Should be able to get away without the oil cooler on the 140 as there's no way a Z50 is going to be able to be ridden that fast... for long anyway. I think a more pruden choice would be something in the 90-125 range depending on the cost of the engine. Pretty much anything you plug in will be a massive upgrade in power.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Alright, I may look into a smaller motor. I just like the idea of a hugeeee 140cc motor on that little guy haha. I was thinking of running the oil cooler behind that plastic part where the tool kit is supposed to be, which says "Z50" on it.

SHSPVR

Oct 24, 2006
Oh as Patman said about stock exhaust which should bolt back up but it going be bit small for anything over 70cc.
Goto dratvDOTcom click on the link PERFORMANCE-PARTS then EXHAUST and don't waste your money on Cobra exhaust they don't seat properly you end using 3 exhaust gasket.
Also check out Monkey Bike UK.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
you'll really want the oil cooler to get air flow. behind the number plate you get no flow.

And for the yz you can send the crank to CrankWorks in AZ and they can rebuild it. Even make a new crank from scratch. if the crank just broke at the pin it can be repaired fiarly inexpensivley.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Jasle said:
you'll really want the oil cooler to get air flow. behind the number plate you get no flow.

And for the yz you can send the crank to CrankWorks in AZ and they can rebuild it. Even make a new crank from scratch. if the crank just broke at the pin it can be repaired fiarly inexpensivley.

But wouldn't it be better behind the number plate then not running it at all? There really isn't much room at all up front to put it. Also does any one know of a good stockish looking pipe to check into? everything I can find looks like it will look completly stupid on an old Z.

As far as the YZ cank im not sure what all happened, I haven't split the cases yet. But I pulled the cly and theres tons of brass shavings from im assuming the crush sleeves. And I can move the connecting rod up and down a bit on angle as if the crank is broke in the center, know what I mean? I'll pull it apart when it warms and see what all happened. I know its from over revving the motor as it happened after a longggggg downhill straight in 6th gear pinned. Glad it didn't lock up when I was doing a good 50+mph hah.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You are trying to do a full on race type setup while keeping your Model T stock looking? You really should just pick a direction and do it right. The stock looking pipe isn't a performance design so anything is going to look different. If you want to keep the stock pipe pop a 90cc engine in and call it good. The oil cooler is going to be complete overkill because you'r going to get almost no air flow behind the number plate unless you cut some vents and then there goes the stock look thing. Also If you ride the bike as fast as the 140 would carry it you'll break the stock chassis & suspension it in to several pieces.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Oh don't get me wrong I'm not trying to keep it stock looking. I plan on doing a cool paint job and all. I guess I mean is there any pipes that will fallow the contours well like the stock pipe. I want something that will stay tucked in close, as not to get knocked around. I'd also be willing to buy a spare number plate and use fiberglass possibly to make an air inlet/duct. I also plan on buying new stiffer rear shocks as well as rebuilding the fronts. I highly doubt I will ever use the full potential of the 140cc, But for the little bit more in price I may as well go big. This is really just going to be a toy for our 15 acres.

Oh and Idk if you seen hot rod magazine last month where there was a completly stock looking A with a 4cly cosworth race motor out of a rally car lol.
http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_0803w_1929_model_a_touring_car/index.html

Last edited:

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
No one else has any input on anything?

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
It may sound cheep but you will not be able to use the stock 50CC head with it so you will need to source out a used 70cc head, or buy a new one for a couple hundred. And if you go the rout of finding a used head you will need to rebuild it any ways and end up spending as much as you would for a new repo head. Also if your going that far and steeping up the motor that much you would be stupid to not freshen up the bottom end. Oh and also you will need a new larger carb, that 17mm or what ever is stock will choke it out bad. Im not trying to turn you away or be a dick by any means. Im just letting you know all I have found out well reading the past few months. By the time you were to do that 88cc kit and have everything how it should be, you could have bought a brand new 100cc Lifan motor.

SHSPVR

Oct 24, 2006
Yup in the long run it eazyer to just pick up new motor
e-B-a-y and look up Lifan you can get for under $300 with shipping

MONKEYMOUSE as for the Exhaust System your other cheap option is Go to e-B-a-y and look up CRF50, XR50, Pit Bike "Exhaust" and I hope have a gas torch "Oxy-Acetelyne" becuase you need to do some bentting.

yz80nbeast you really mess up
1: You need E22 head
2: New larger carb
They have full kit it run $300 it call Hyper 88 Kit but I don't if it also work on Z50 it for ATC70

regal21guy

Jan 14, 2008
lifan motors are nice ..... i had a lifan 110 on my crf50 and it just flat out rips ..... been riding it for over a year and a half with no problems !

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Does any one know if in NY, with the proper lights, if I could register it as a moped after i do this?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Call the local PD and if they can't answer directly they can point you to the proper department that can. DO NOT call 911.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Lol, I know better then to call 911 to ask. Im no longer the 12 year old I was when I first joined this site, damn I asked alot of stupid stuff haha. I guess I'll call the local department and dvm and try and get some answers outta them. If I can i'll ride this thing to work and friends house and every where I can, screw $3.30 a gallon :nener: .

SHSPVR

Oct 24, 2006
Keep mind you need add a battery or you burn out the Ligths other then the head ligth depent on how you set it up the head ligth which can be done in 2 way.
You should be able to register it as long you have
Head Ligth Required
Stop Ligth Required, Both Front and Rear brake must be switched.
Turn Signal Lamps Front and Rear Required
Mirrors Required
Muffler Required 80db or less
Most state required a Horn
And this a BIG must D.O.T. approved Tire
Most state required a Speedometer
Most state required a Front & Rear Fender
Most state do a Vehicles and Equipment Inspection
Some state a Emission Systems Inspection this is Required
Insurance coverage
Then you need go get your Motorcycle license if don't have one

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
MonkeyMouse it's been proven with great regularity that age is not always the determining factor in the level of stupidity that an individual can apply. I was just covering my bases so that someone else didn't use the information incorrectly ;)

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
SHSPVR said:
Keep mind you need add a battery or you burn out the Ligths other then the head ligth depent on how you set it up the head ligth which can be done in 2 way.
You should be able to register it as long you have
Head Ligth Required
Stop Ligth Required, Both Front and Rear brake must be switched.
Turn Signal Lamps Front and Rear Required
Mirrors Required
Muffler Required 80db or less
And this a BIG must D.O.T. approved Tire
Most state required a Speedometer
Most state required a Front & Rear Fender
Most state do a Vehicles and Equipment Inspection
Some state a Emission Systems Inspection this is Required
Insurance coverage
Then you need go get your Motorcycle license if don't have one

by the time you buy all this you could just buy a CT70 copy with a big bore motor in it for under $1000. Already have all that plus electric start and MSO and ability to register as legal road bike. killer mpg also.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Excellent point Jasle!

Top Bottom