Nov 5, 2001
i cracked up when i read this one!! :laugh: :laugh: :rotfl:

"If MXA didn’t do tech articles, there wouldn’t be any written anywhere."

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Bruce - Who is the genius behind that pearl of wisdom?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Jody has reset the POSER bar once again :)

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Rich

This has noting to do with the boisterous claims of MXA. Rather an acknowledgement and endorsement of your referencing a quote by Tom Hanna. I have seen his work over the years. Stuff was too pretty to be subjected to a racing enviromnent

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
duke said:
Rather an acknowledgement and endorsement of your referencing a quote by Tom Hanna. I have seen his work over the years. Stuff was too pretty to be subjected to a racing enviromnent

Tom Hanna certainly defines the word "craftsman" :worship:

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
For those who don't know what we are talking about check the following links. They pretty much sum up Tom Hanna and his work ;)

http://www.wediditforlove.com/Hanna.html

http://www.wediditforlove.com/Hanna-CHRR.html

.... notice how I'll take any excuse to steer a thread off of Jody the poser and the MXA chuckleheads, while directing it towards someone with REAL TALENT who lets his work speak for itself. ;) It's a gift. :laugh:

Speedfreek

Nov 3, 2003
Hey Rich,
Do you have any idea of what numbers that car ended up running in the 1/4 mile ? I never looked at an old style dragster before. Did you guys notice where your "boys" sit in relation to the differential :yikes:

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Your astute observations and estimation of possible severe injury is what prompted the racers to refine rear engined cars. More then a few guys became disemboweled from clutchs, axles, etc exploding in their lap. Fires in your face are a given

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
A little blurb from the NHRA's Top 50 drivers profile of Don Garlits
http://www.nhra.com/50th/top50/

The 1970s opened badly for Garlits when a transmission explosion -- in the fatefully tagged Swamp Rat XIII -- in the final round of an AHRA national event in Long Beach, Calif., cut his car in half and took a portion of his right foot with it. That was the last straw for Garlits, who had been sitting behind the oil- and fire-spewing supercharged, nitro-burning engines for more than 10 years. Having already reached a speed of 240 mph two years before, Garlits was faced with quitting or making the novel rear-engine dragster design competitive. He chose the latter, resulting in his second major accomplishment.

Exactly one year later at the race where he was hobbled, Garlits took his rear-engine Swamp Rat XIV to the final again. Several weeks later, he became the first to win an NHRA national event with a rear-engine dragster when he set the Top Fuel class on a new course by winning the Winternationals. Within two years, the front-engine dragster was extinct. Garlits' first rear-engine dragster not only rejuvenated "the Old Man's" career -- he was 39 -- but revived the class at a time when the danger of the diggers and the surging popularity of the new Funny Cars had Top Fuel on the ropes.

Top Bottom