the_monk

Sep 1, 2004
I posted about this in another forum awhile back. Thought I'd ask this group for some ideas.

She rode the neighbors XR100 and CRF230. The 230 was too tall with the preload all the way out. She could ride it, but it's heavy and she could BARELY reach with one foot at a time. The 100 was too small.

What's in between an XR100 and CRF230?

We'll go test-sit some new bikes, but I'd like to buy something thats a few years old...hence the request for suggestions.

Thanks!

Proxy

N. Texas SP
Mar 14, 2005
I wish my wife wanted a bike, she wants a 4-wheeler :debil:

That being said, I'd also make sure its something she can pick up if she falls over.

I'd get a 100 for my wife, maybe a 125, but she's never ridden before.

Be sure and check out the classifieds over at www.tscec.org , I found some hard-to-find bikes over there that I was never able to find anywhere else, even other message forums... even some of the ads from December.

the_monk

Sep 1, 2004
Proxy said:
I wish my wife wanted a bike, she wants a 4-wheeler

Find somebody to borrow a bike from. Teach her to ride it at a very, VERY slow pace somewhere flat and open. She'll love it. My wife didn't want a bike at first, but I made her ride a Yamaha 100cc 2-stroke in the back yard for awhile. By the time the day was done, we had worn a track in the yard. It took her about.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Check out a TTR125. Low seat height and easy riding.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
TTR-125L

• Disk brake
  • Light and easy to pick up
  • Controllable power
  • Door-stop reliability

PS - they are a BLAST to ride when the little lady is taking a break ;)

Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
My boys ttr-125 is a 2001 and it was a great beginner bike for him. It is pretty much bullet proof too. It is still going strong several mods later. Several make it go faster Dad's later.

So far a chain and a few hand grips and levers is all it needed. He like to red line it too.

Mike & Mary

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 5, 2003
Want an answer from a woman? The TTR125 is like the best woman's beginner bike. I have a CRF230 and I like it, but I am pretty tall and the fit is good. The TTR is lower and just feels so good.

Mar 1, 2005
Buy her a CRF 150 they are taller than the XR 100 and smaller than a crf 230. They have more power than a tt-r 125 and are a great reliable bike. The seat height is about 34 inches. It is a perfect bike for a beginner or for someone that wants an awesome play bike. It will work awesome in the trails. :bang: :coocoo:

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
TTR's are good bikes. We've got one also. I'd recommend it for a wife. That's what I take my girlfriend on.

drz400e

Oct 16, 2004
I Just picked up an 05 drz125L for my wife. Not the most powerfull but it's light and she can touch the ground on tip toes. I hope it will hold up.

the_monk

Sep 1, 2004
corpblues said:
I officially joined the drn.net so I could post it in the for sell forum. I know this is currently in the wrong forum but I would sell it for $1,600.

Where are you located? I'd like to "test sit" the bike as a starting point. I think it will be too tall, but ya never know.

How can I get in touch with you?

corpblues

Jan 1, 2004
the_monk said:
Where are you located? I'd like to "test sit" the bike as a starting point. I think it will be too tall, but ya never know.

How can I get in touch with you?

I live in The Colony, TX. It is between Lewisville and Plano on highway 121. Send me an email at dmoconnor@sbcglobal.net and I will send you my phone number. Most evenings would be fine.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
The height on the TTR225 is not the issue...
It is the weight. Dry weight on a TTR225 is 260lbs!

Mar 11, 2005
My wife has just started with a XR200. Se is 1,7 m (5 feet and 6 inches) tall and is a nice bike to start, mainly because of the 4 stroke engine (I ride a 2 stroke).

the_monk

Sep 1, 2004
My wife is 5'3". She recently corrected me when I called her 5'4". The XR200 and CRF230 have nearly the same seat height (as published), and they're a bit too tall. She can get one toe down at a time. This won't make for a very comfortable learning experience trying to keep a 250+ pound bike upright with only one toe at a time.

It sounds like it's going to be the ttr125 or crf150. If the ttr225 seat height is low enough, it might work, but I think it's going to be too high as well.

Top Bottom