looking to run a harescramble, need advice.

NERider

Nov 7, 2010
hey guys, just joined the forum looking for some advice on racing a hare scramble. i just got a 2004 yz125, it has an 06 frame, pro circuit pipe, kenda tires and thats about it.

im interested in racing a hare scramble but have never raced before. my biggest concern is that its 2 hours long. what happens if you just cant do it? and im assuming theres pits for gas and water?
any info would be great, thanks.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Assuming your hare scrambles in your area are like the ones here in the midwest, the course is usually 4-10 miles long, lap times are typically around 10-25 minutes (depending on the course length and your skill level). So in the 2 hours, you will usually do several laps.

If your tank can't make the full 2 hours, you can leave a gas can somewhere by the course and the pit area, and stop and top off. You will usually see a place that other riders leave there cans, usually by a spectator area.

And if you can't finish the full 2 hours, you can just pull off the course at a checkpoint near the pit area, after completing however many laps you want to finish. If they use fender cards to score you, just make sure to turn in your fender card if you pull off early.

For water, you could also leave that by your gas can. Lots of riders also wear Camelbacks, I love mine for hare scrambles!

Last edited:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Camelback and lots of water before you race. First time racers feel they have to ride 100% top speed the entire race, that's a recipe for a DNF or a crash. You must learn to pace yourself and not let the race pace you. When you have some experience, you can step up to what ever level you feel comfortable with. At first, have fun and finish, even if it is last place in your class. The fun will bring you back.
Nikki is an accomplished racer, me, I'm a spode with a few races under my belt. You will meet many people at the race so make friends and hopefully you'll find one or two riders that are at the same skill level but have some experience. You'll learn from them and you will have heaps more fun.
Most of all, race the course, not the other riders, that comes with experience. It's not like you will win the overall first time up anyway, have fun because it IS fun!

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Camelback is a must. Remember on the starting line to breath... LOL.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
ChopperDave said:
Camelback is a must. Remember on the starting line to breath... LOL.
...and make sure the gas is turned on!:laugh:

racer921

Oct 20, 2010
i usually pit about every other lap to make sure that i have enough gas and something to drink. also those pit stops are nice to take a break because i just let my pitcrew do all the work :laugh:

NERider

Nov 7, 2010
i feel like im gonna be pretty slow after watching alot of videos. but maybe those are of the higher classes. i also may be running w/o back brakes so i may hold back for safety

Top Bottom