lwsmithjr

~SPONSOR~
Sep 18, 2002
Can anyone explain what this rule means? This is direct from the
MX Sports web site: http://www.mxsports.com/2003rules.html

"2) In AMA districts where points are not kept in the C class, riders are not eligible for the C class at the National if they have raced prior to 2002."

This is a new rule for this year and I'm not sure what they are trying to accomplish. My understanding is that we in Alabama are in an unrecognized AMA district and therefore the points we keep in our series is not recognized nationally. If you take this literally, anyone in Alabama who raced at all in 2001, regardless of ability, is not eligible in the "C" class.

Can this be right? I'd appreciate any input from any of you guys who may have an inside source.

Thanks,
Len Smith

lwsmithjr

~SPONSOR~
Sep 18, 2002
That's correct if you are in an AMA district that does not keep points in the C class and according to our race promoters here in Alabama, if you are in an unrecognized AMA district -- whatever that means -- and we are one.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
This has to be one of the stupid classes of all time. The "National Novice Class". I don't think people understand how amazing these riders are. I will tell you this, the top "10" riders who finish in this class can finish mid pack "PRO" in a local district race. This is not a made up statement this is from me try to qualify for lorettas for the past 2 years in the novice class. Even if you get past the local qualify round(Usually 80 riders split it 2 heats) the regional is absolutly amazing. The talent in California is ridiculous I mean, if you even finish in the top 20, i would call that an acomplishment in the regional. To actually make it to Loretta's is amazing. Most of these"kids" are trying to become a pro racer and are doing the right way (80's to bigger bikes, taking it slow to gain experience) and have been riding since in the womb. They literally are so fast, they would blow most of us out of the water even some fast B guys on this site. That's why when i see a rule like that mentioned it is so stupid. If you even was a top 5 C rider in your local district and where forced to qualify for loretta B class you would not only be schooled but be embarassed. It wouldn't be unheard of to be lapped up to 20th place in a regional. I think AMA should look into this rule.

Erik

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I think it is a GREAT idea. If you reread it, it only applies to those districts that don't make people move out of the C class.

If you are in a district that does keep track of points, and therefore uses them to make riders move up, then if you are still legitimately in the C class (even after 10 years), you can still do LL's in the C class.

Honestly, I don't understand a C class at LL's, either.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
To be honest... if you normally race C class... go ahead and race C at the LL Area Qualifier. Like bedell said... to get through the Area Qualifier and then the Regional in the C class is EXTREMELY difficult. If you guys have never been to a LL Regional - just go to watch... I almost think Regionals are more intense than the National. Racing at it's very best with a big deal on the line for a qualifying position for the National. Anyways... if you make it to the National and happen to finish top 10, then someone *might* protest you for the "C Class rule". But to be honest, I highly doubt anyone would. Last year, though, I think a C class winner was DQ'ed for having FACTORY support (like Yamaha providing him free bikes). But another kid, Jonathan Camp (from FL), won a C class in 2002 and I've seen him at LL's before. Not sure if he was there as an alternate, just to watch, or actually racing, but if he raced before then that is another big no-no that slipped under the radar. Besides Camp I know some friends that have raced the National in mini classes and also in C at a later time. So if you really feel you're a C rider - what the heck... race C!

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Basically these classes are nothing more then program filler and are there for financial reasons. It is interesting who wants to be the "fastest slow guy"? heck they have a rule that doesn't allow factory help in the C class................my thought is why the heck would that be a problem? but ya know it was and is!
Its really the bad side of our sport, where true beginners don't get a fair shake.

There are people working on this as we speak

wardy

TMax

Nov 4, 2002
"Most of these"kids" are trying to become a pro racer and are doing the right way (80's to bigger bikes, taking it slow to gain experience) and have been riding since in the womb."

Remember one thing... A mini rider that has been to LLs for a National, when they move up te 125s or 250s, they have to ride B class. I have always thought this was a good rule!

TMax

lwsmithjr

~SPONSOR~
Sep 18, 2002
The thing is, I agree that most C riders are better than what C was designed for. I have a 15 year old son who is about to start his second year of racing. Last year he was on an 80 and he's moving up to a 125 this year. Our intentions were to run 125 C and Youth this year and try to qualify for Loretta's next year in 125 C Stock and Mod. What has me fired up right now is that even though we keep up with series points, we are in an unrecognized AMA District (whatever that means) and if he races at all this year, he will be uneligible next year. This rule basically makes it impossible for him to qualify because it would have to be in the B class -- and he is not a B rider. Unless he triples his abilities this year, he won't be a B rider next year either.

One of our local guys qualified for 125 B last year and ended up 9th in Stock and 13th in Mod. There is no one around here who can come close to staying on the track with this guy -- even ex-pros.

We have some fast guys. Nikki, Julius Pleaser said you came down and raced Mill Creek last December, so you saw first hand the competition. But, compared to what runs at Loretta's each year, we have 3 or 4 guys across the board who might make it. Maybe this rule will bring the competion back down to the intended level, but it seems a lot of folks will get the short end of the stick in the process.

TMax

Nov 4, 2002
"One of our local guys qualified for 125 B last year and ended up 9th in Stock and 13th in Mod. There is no one around here who can come close to staying on the track with this guy -- even ex-pros. "

lwsmithjr, please don't take offense... I have seen many "fast guys" that have their local tracks nailed. To be National caliber the rider should be able to read the track and ride fast no matter the track.

When we were racing all the time we liked to take some of the faster kids and follow them to their local tracks. It was usually quite a challenge for my son to keep up. But, then take that same kid to a new track and my son could leave them. We did lots of different tracks. In fact, we used to be criticized by people because we "didn't support the local track series". Hey, we felt to be good you had to travel... Different tracks, different racers. Sure we had favorites, but we would be all over many states in a season.

I agree with you on one point... You are being jipped since your local AMA district does not track points. I think the AMA rule is good, your beef is with your local district. Do you have another district close?

TMax

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
"2) In AMA districts where points are not kept in the C class, riders are not eligible for the C class at the National if they have raced prior to 2002."

And as Gomer pointed out, “If you are in a district that does keep track of points, and therefore uses them to make riders move up, then if you are still legitimately in the C class (even after 10 years), you can still do LL's in the C class”.

Les, I don’t see it as LL’s restricting your son or anyone else from running the 125C based on skill level but rather racing seat time. It seems unfair that a rider from an AMA district where points are kept can ride in that class for life then race at LL legitimately. Where as “unrecognized AMA district” riders can continue riding C class in their home district but are forced out of LL’s after 1 ½ years of racing. It seems to me they are just looking to reduce the #’s in the C class.

lwsmithjr

~SPONSOR~
Sep 18, 2002
No offense TMax. But this guy usually wins his Area and Regional Qualifier as well. He is more aggressive locally than at Loretta's but this kid is a screamer. He beat Clark Stiles (admittidly on an unfamiliar bike) in a 125 mod race. Clark carries AMA National #47 and is on Moto XXX's team this season.

Our option, I guess, would be to run in the Georgia District, but how many races do we have to make in the series to be considered part of that one and not our own? Maybe I'm making too big of a deal about this, but it seems the rule is going to hurt the guy they are trying to help.

I'm also not sure how they are going to police it.

Dave, you are probably right, but If we race here then we are out of luck.

Last edited:

TMax

Nov 4, 2002
Here in Ohio you just buy a district card and you are in.

I certainly do not want to down play your guy's ability. Bottom line, if your district will not organize and you want to do LLs, you need to look for another district to ride in. I would think that if your locals would complain to the district, they should start tracking the points. Voice your opinion... You have RW&B under your name there on the left side of the screen! :-) Get it changed!

TMax

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by lwsmithjr
But this guy usually wins his Area and Regional Qualifier as well.

Must be speaking of Drew Askew? And for your son, if he's 15 on Jan 1 2004, then he can race 12-15 stock and mod next year no matter what. The 12-15 class is a "B" class. As far as racing C goes... I do not think you'll have problems with him racing C at the area/regional.

Do you know Shane Mills (Birmingham, AL), Justin Graham (Albertville, AL), or Buck Hartzog (Eufaula, AL)? They all raced C class at the 2002 National.

lwsmithjr

~SPONSOR~
Sep 18, 2002
Yes, I know Shane and Justin, but not Buck. Justin is a top 3 rider around here (and his qualifiers) and Shane is (was) probably our fastest C guy.

You know of Drew. He was our neighbor when he was about 3 or 4. He's pretty good!

My son, Drew, will be 16 on Dec. 7 of this year. No 12-15 for him next year.

Last edited:

MX145

Dec 29, 2001
Not that I'm trying or going to LL's. This is something that I have been wondering about in our local area. If I am interpreting this rule correctly, I kinda agree with what the they are trying to accomplish - weeding out the sandbaggers. I get preturbed that the number of 125C class riders is so high and the top 10 riders are usually the same ones that are B or A level riders and they stay there for their trophies, points, and ego! It sure is funny (not really) how one can race 125C and end up 15-20th, yet run with the B class riders better. The B and A classes are full of talented riders but in lower numbers, it just seems that more C riders need to step up to the plate and move forward. [Sorry that I had to unload that off my chest.] Hopefully a spokesperson from an AMA district can better explain the rule instead of me/us speculating on it. Good luck to your son lwsmithjr unless he's competing against our local "Miles Warren" 02' LL's: 250C - 2nd place finish, 125C mod - 8th. LOL/just kidding........

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Originally posted by MX145
... I kinda agree with what the they are trying to accomplish - weeding out the sandbaggers....
I agree as well but, ...if they going to restrict districts where points are not kept then the same letter of law should apply to the districts that do.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I'm not sure how it is now, but when I lived in MD they made you move up when you attained 15 points in a single year. That was 3 first places, 15 fifth places, or any appropriate combination in between. At that time, that worked well. There was an even distribution across all 3 classes. I even had a roommate from college who went from C to B to A in a single year.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by 96whyzee125
It seems to me they are just looking to reduce the #’s in the C class.
And/or trying to get ALL the AMA districts on the same page and consistent in points keeping for C class. Problem is that some riders will pay for thier districts shortsightedness. TMAX is right....only pressure from both sides will get this resolved.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
There has to be a NATIONAL advancement program set into place for everything to really be "fair". Until then, rider's who are in Districts that have solid advancement programs (like wardy's District 17) are at a disadvantage at the National level against riders in non-sanctioned areas or not as structured Districts where they can basically stay in one class forever.

lwsmithjr

~SPONSOR~
Sep 18, 2002
Nikki's right. I'd be willing to bet that the top 10 C riders at LL's last year were turning lap times equal to the slowest guys in the A class. Like bedell99 said way back at the beginning of this thing, most every guy there is an A rider disguised as something else. If they do figure out a way to enforce this new rule, instead of actual B & C riders sitting at home, it will be a bunch of A riders. During the transition period though, guys like my son suffer the consequences. He really is a C rider, but I can't "prove" it. He rode 5 races on his 80 in the fall of 2001. That fact along with us participating in a non-sanctioned district, disqualifies him. I just want someone to tell me if I can get him eligible again and how.

Top Bottom