Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Too much rain, lots of standing water. Someone mentioned that if it rains more than 1" within 24 hours of the race, it can be canceled. I guess the land out there holds water pretty bad.

enduro400

Oct 19, 2001
No, it's realy that bad!!!!!
It rained over 2 1/2 inches . It's a national forest and they state that if it rains 1" or more in a 24 hour period all of the trails are to be closed until further notice.
Trust me you don't want to be here after that kind of rain, it's realy nasty!!

Bfaster

Aug 26, 2002
Jacobone, you would need a submarine. The creek crossings are still over their banks. By the way Thursday those same creek crossings were 12-20ft. drop ins. You would have had to have ridden 100 yards in 2-3 foot of water before you would have found the 12-20 foot drop ins. We also looked at reroutes but the state wouldn't let us use the Interstate to hold the event. That is the only place that didnt have standing water.

GasGasman, The AMA picked the replacement date. We just do as we are told.

Hope to see most of you next month.

CERAChris

May 22, 2002
enduro400, it sounds like the right decision was made, good luck on your reschedule date. It's very easy for folks to criticize the decision of clubs and the Forest Service for postponing events, but it is very shortsighted to run under waterlogged conditions. The trails get trashed, and don't recover without many days of grueling pick and shovel work from the club. Most riders DNF, and bitch heavily AFTERWARD. The enviros seize upon these opportunities, take pictures, and sue the Forest Service for allowing it to happen. All of this pain is avoided by simply postponing.

A couple of years ago, my club ran an enduro in a National Forest out here in CA in similar rainsoaked conditions, and narrowly avoided losing our event forever due to trail damage and resultant enviro protests. The never-ending work parties to repair the trails nearly caused the club to cease functioning - after 32 years.

In short: good call.

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
I agree with the postponment. What CERAChris is very true. We ran our enduro a couple of years ago in a rain storm and only about 10 guys finished without houring out. The biggest problem was everyone cutting the course trying to make it around the bad spots, tearing up places we were not allowed to run. We run on all private land and almost lost it all, the landowners were very unhappy. We now cannot run if we get much rain before the event. It's better to move the date than make 90% of the riders mad after the wreck there bikes and make the State or landowners not want to allow any more races than to run an event just to have it!

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
It's Louisiana - the entire state IS a creek crossing. :)

I was looking forward to this more than you'd imagine, but have no complaints. The value of preserving a good relationship with landowners and government agencies trumps any single event.

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
Thanks for the understanding. The posts above shed light on thr situation. I have been working with the forestry service since before Thanksgiving. It would not have been in the best interest of the sport to attempt this event on schedule. On another note, no one would have made it past the first 15 miles. That is just a fact, you would have had to transform your bike into a boat, a narrow one at that. Talk about the ultimate dualsport. I hope to see most of you there on March 23.

D

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Darin, I wont be able to make it due to previous engagement (St Louis SX tix). Is there any chance of getting the pre-entry fee back? If so let me know if not its no big deal. Somebody show up and tell them you are me :thumb:

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
I'd been watching the radar since mid week and it looked bad to worse as the week went by. I think the club made a good call. I was espically glad the decision was made on Friday. It saved an 8 hour drive for me.

I'll be there in March. :yeehaw:

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Originally posted by Mikeb
I wont be able to make it due to previous engagement (St Louis SX tix). 

Cool Mike.  I didn't know you were into racing SX!  I'll watch for you on TV.  Are you racing 125 or 250?  :scream:

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
I would REALLY like to do this enduro, but I need a drive partner....... I'm a wimp when it comes to loooong drives! Any takers around the MO area?????

Top Bottom