lowering spacers effect on handling

cantrell24x

Oct 24, 2001
I am riding a 2004 kx250 that I lowered the fork and shock by 1.5 inches using spacers from mxtech.

In a couple weeks I will receive my 2008 yz. I would like to lower it with spacers by about 2 inches.

Does anyone have a degree in suspension? I am curious how the spacers effect the performance of the fork and shock.

I guess they have to take away 2 inches of travel. What else?

Thanks

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
If you lower it without revalving to compensate for the change you end up always riding too far down in the stroke, and the suspension will never work right.

Lowering works great IF you revalve. Having owned 4 different bikes that were lowered and revalved by MX-Tech I can tell you doing it right is well worth the money. The DIY lowered bikes I've ridden that were NOT revalved, were all nightmares.

cantrell24x

Oct 24, 2001
Rich, thanks for the informed response. I am sending my works showa's back to Pro Circuit to be lowered and re-sprung. I am sure they will be revalved for my weight and for GNCC racing. Am I safe to assume that the good people at PC will revalve correctly if they are lowering? Or do I need to point it out to them?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I personally wouldn't deal with PC for suspension or any other type of work so I have no idea if they know how to build a proper lowered suspension combination. Personally I have my doubts.

I do know they don't do DTX or Flat Track suspension so I doubt they have much experience with lowering the way companies like MX-Tech or Durelle Racing do. Both those companies have years of experience building lowered bikes and sorting out the specific issues that come with it. Lowering seems to be a fairly specific skill, so dealing with experienced companies seems like a good idea.

If you decide to deal with PC all I can say is good luck. I hope they get it right for you.

cantrell24x

Oct 24, 2001
Rich, Thanks for the advice. Do you know if mx-tech has any experience with the works showas? I bought my lowering spacers for my KX from them but installed them myself with help from my father.

Even without the revalving lowering was the absolute best mod I have ever done to any bike, by leaps and bounds.

If they(MXT) can revalve lower and respring these showas I bought, I would happily send them in.

Thanks again

Chris

Top Bottom