truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
That is hard to say. I liked the track at LTM better and really liked the LTM GP track but I liked the trails and grass track at Cooperland better.

I really don't care where it is though b/c the most important part to me were the people there that I met and the old friends I got to see again.

Ivan

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I go for the friends and event with the location not really being an issue. BUT
For me there is no comparison, Cooperland and Stillwater flat out blows LTM & Casey off the map.
The facilities in general are way better.
The track is AWESOME!
Cooperland has a kids track, a HUGE deal for those with kids.
The owner (Brownie) is all over every detail and super friendly.
Stillwater has a much better infrastructure to support a growing event like Dirt Week with hotels, stores, welding shop with dirt bike experience, motorcycle shops and medical facilities.

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
LTM is better. The jumps on the track aren't as steep....they are shallower and tend to launch you out instead of up. I like this better....being old and chicken of falling down and going BOOM. The trails and woods section at LTM are better. Real HARDWOOD trees with valleys and hills that create a challenge, not just a single track thru the brush at Cooperland. LTM also has a creek with real water in it too!!
Gotta give Cooperland credit though....it IS a nice facility, has restrooms and a large parking area for us to camp out in, and is close to a fairly major city with bikes and parts available.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I'll agree with Ivan that I liked the tracks at LTM better but thats because I am a woods fella and don't do MX so that kinda negates my opinion on that side of things. I thought the trails and grass track blew Casey away and Guy has promised to show us more if we go back there. The camping/pit area at Cooperland is much better and I doubt you'll find a better host (Brownie) anywhere. Cooperland is also way more centrally located. If he could add a dump station and electricity it'd be nearly perfect.

I'm there next year no matter what.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
The track at Casey is safer for old sissies, but Cooperland waxes it in every other respect. I rolled all the jumps, so I wasn't scared the whole time. The infrastructure at Cooperland rocks. I like the fact that there was grass for us to play on, and real toilets are a plus too.

Two words: NO TRAINS! I slept like a baby the whole time at CL. (Rode like one, too.) :silly:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Cooperland gets my vote.
I gotta admit, that I was on the fence for part of my stay, but the grass track, and Brownies attitude won me over completely. A class act. Real bathrooms were a big plus. I would love to see electic hook ups, so I wont have to listen to generators all night.
All in all, the location doesn't matter. . . it's the attendees that make things like DW01/02 times to treasure.
Can I sign up for next year yet?

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Have to agree the facilities at Cooperland are best and thge trails at either place leave a little to be desired. Guy Cooper told us that if he had time and was not all broken up that next year he could hook us up with more trails. If we could somehow get to the 500 without trailering then this place would be the ULTIMATE place for DW. Killer TRACKS and lotsa trails.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Track wise, I felt more comfortable at Casey initially. I felt comfortable with the jumps early on. It seems like it was more of a cornering track.

At cooperland, I didn't really even try to do the corners fast because I was fixated on the jumps the whole time. This track beat me up initially with all the big jumps. Each day, I would work my way into clearing another, then another. There are so many cool jumps, it gives you room to grow your way into it. Bottom line, Casey is a nice track, but Stillwater is a world class track. Having the smaller track was great too.

I was like a kid in a candy store with the tracks, but quite frankly we have better woods available in Iowa...more hills and not so many rocks and tree roots. I will say that the trails at the "500" were nice, it was a lot longer loop with a wide variety of terrain, a few hills, whoops, etc.

Did anyone else notice the awesome looking track near the interstate ramp? I tried to get pictures but they didn't turn out. One word : WOW! Looked like a stretched out version of Cooperland without the trees. Not sure how well groomed it was. Wish I had more time to investigate.

The bugs at LTM wouldn't be near as scary for the Elkster...

Last edited:

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
:) Elk: "It's f***ing Wild Kingdom!" :)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by motometal
Did anyone else notice the awesome looking track near the interstate ramp?

that's called redbank 51 raceway or something like that. so far, it's just a practice track. some of the heartland spodes rode there earlier this year. search in the ride/race reports for their impressions.

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
We ride at that track occasionally. For a long time they were aiming for Quads and the track was flat in the corners and rock-hard. They are improving it over time and some parts are really fun. I have no trouble with the second table (have to try the first next time) so I know you could jump everything motometal. There is a table/step-up combo after the two tables by the road that's fun because you have to slow down and time the table as it's small, then nail it for the step-up.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
The woods are better at Cooperland in my opinion. And they can be made alot better. The one thing about DW is the moto riders seem to have the woods riders out numbered a little. I think if it's at Cooperland ever again there will be many more miles of trails. I only got one lap on the mx track this year and tend to think that Cooperland was better prepped. I also liked the grass track once they got it laid out. The timing of laying the woods stuff out hasn't been the best either year. but hey, with free labor you can't complain.

Brownie vs. the grippe lady at Casey, she was a real peice of work.

Casey vs. Stillwater......hahahahahahaha

Crispy

Boss's Lil' Sis
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2001
Since I dont ride, I am going on the hospitality of the host... Brownie was awesome! Whatever we needed, he was there. The drive was hell, but Cooperland is worth it to me. Thanks Chris!!! And he took my, I mean, that dog Fast 4Ward and I found at the gas station. :( He PROMISED to take good care of her. If he takes care of her half as well as he does the track, I know DW is in good hands!

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Originally posted by Crispy
He PROMISED to take good care of her.

Have you seen his iguana???? That little black dog probably looks like puppy chow to that big lizard! ;)

Chris has a great big soft spot for animals. DW will be well cared for! :)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
DW will be Great Dane sized by next year if Brownie takes care of that dog half as well as he does the facilities.

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
Originally posted by Julius Pleaser
I slept like a baby the whole time at CL. (Rode like one, too.) :silly:

I slept pretty good most of the time too. Except for the 1AM rock concert thurs night (ok...friday morning). I was camped out by the water truck. Kinda pissed me off alittle that I could hear it clear as day over CycleWerks generator while inside a motorhome all the way at the other end like we were.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by Hogwylde

I slept pretty good most of the time too. Except for the 1AM rock concert thurs night (ok...friday morning). I was camped out by the water truck. Kinda pissed me off alittle that I could hear it clear as day over CycleWerks generator while inside a motorhome all the way at the other end like we were.
Sorry about that, it was inconsiderate of us. We meant no offense, it's just that musicians have problems with anything that has to deal with time. ;)
Honestly I had no idea it was that late. As soon as Okie said it was 1am we immediatly stopped and felt bad about going on so long. I was suffering a bit from it the next day myself. Next year it's an acoustic only for me, no way I'm hauling all that gear back, heck I could've brought enough gas to run me all week with the extra room if not for the music gear. I'll only bring the little p.a. for awards and announcements.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
There always has to be someone to find wrong with everything... this year, it looks like Hogwylde... :)

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
Originally posted by Jeff Gilbert

Sorry about that, it was inconsiderate of us. We meant no offense

I know that. And I dont take offense. I was a little edgey (sp?) because I was dead tired and the heat was making trying to sleep difficult at best.
I hope in no way anyone thinks I didn't like DW this year. I had a great time and cant fault the facility, our host, the sponsors, or the organizing team one bit.
I have stated an opinion about which facility I liked better and why in other posts. Those opinions are based on the type of riding I do and my skill level. The people I've met have always been great and I look forward to going again next year.....where ever it's held.

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Two words: NO MUD

I was amazed that the camping area stayed firm and dry after so much rain on Thursday(?) night. :thumb:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Cooperland rocks.:aj: I wasn't at Casey so I can't compare but, Cooperland has to be the best place I've seen. Brownie was there 24/7 for whatever we needed and short of the local bugs, dingos, flying lobsters etc... I vote for Cooperland again.

The late night stuff didn't bother me and my tent was NEXT to the big top. Tony the Rat got his fur in a bind one night but he was cool about, just told us to shut the ^*&% up.:) Sorry Rat, hope your cucumbers didn't fall off your eyes when you yelled at us!:moon:

Top Bottom