kjumpmannn23

Jan 7, 2009
I'm leaning towards buying either the 620 or the 685 MX Maico :) I've read on a couple places that the 620 is actually more aggressive than the 685, that the 685 is mellower and has sort of a tractor feel compared to the 620. If that is true I would rather have the 620. Does anybody know if this is really true? Has anybody ever rode or known somebody that has ridden both? I haven't been able to find a lot of information about the differences between the two or even the 500 :bang: Some information would be much appreciated. Thanks :cool:

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
I truly believe that either one you choose is going to have more power than anyone other than Chuck Norris can handle. If you do get one though, we need to see pictures and a full review from you. :nod:

kjumpmannn23

Jan 7, 2009
I'm not Chuck Norris or Tim Tebow :( but I really want one of these bikes :laugh: I'm starting to lean towards the 620 because I keep hearing that the 685 is a slow revving tractor.

kjumpmannn23

Jan 7, 2009
longtime coming said:
Have you checked out that Service 500 Kawi? At least as exclusive, I'd say.

Yes I have, It's an awesome looking bike! But it's $11,000 and I've talked to a guy who works at Maico UK and he says I can probably get an 08 Maico for a lot less than that. What's cool about Service Honda is they make a bike customized just for your weight and riding conditions, but I cringe at thinking about paying 11 grand for a dirt bike.

kjumpmannn23

Jan 7, 2009
longtime coming said:
How much is the Maico?

I can't be exactly sure until I decide to purchase, but when I talked to someone from their website they said I could get an 08 for around the price as what their '08 price guide lists. For instance, an '08 685's price converted to US dollars equals to about $7700.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Have you ever owned a Maico?

kjumpmannn23

Jan 7, 2009
Rich Rohrich said:
Have you ever owned a Maico?

No I haven't, if I choose to get one it would definitely be my first. I hear people say starting it on the left side would be a deterrent for them. I'm not too worried about that, my left leg works just fine :nod:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Owning a Maico requires a pretty major commitment to maintenance. It's not like late model bikes that most people are used to. To make them reliable in most cases means taking a new bike completely apart and reassembling it correctly.

They can be very solid after that, but people who just take them out of the box and ride them are often disappointed.

After you assemble the bike properly the jetting issues should keep you busy for a while as well.

kjumpmannn23

Jan 7, 2009
Rich Rohrich said:
Owning a Maico requires a pretty major commitment to maintenance. It's not like late model bikes that most people are used to. To make them reliable in most cases means taking a new bike completely apart and reassembling it correctly.

They can be very solid after that, but people who just take them out of the box and ride them are often disappointed.

After you assemble the bike properly the jetting issues should keep you busy for a while as well.

Are you referring to the newer models such as the '08s? I haven't heard of that problem before. I've talked to a guy on another forum who has the 500 and he has nothing but great things to say about it, and never mentioned that he needed to reassemble anything or work on the jetting. But I will ask him specifically and see what he says. It's hard to get a lot of information about the 620 and 685 as not a lot of people on the forums have them. But you brought to my attention some things that I will definitely have to consider before my purchase because I wouldn't look forward having to take the bike apart right after I buy it :yell:

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
They might be calling the bike a 2008 but it was designed and built a lot earlier. It might be worth your time to do a little research on the history of Maico before you make a purchase decision.

Before you think I'm unduly trashing Maico keep in mind I've been a fan of the brand for a LONG time. I just have no delusions about how they compare to newer bikes from Japan.

http://www.dirtrider.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=655&catid=searchresults&searchid=435

Last edited:

kjumpmannn23

Jan 7, 2009
Rich Rohrich said:
They might be calling the bike a 2008 but it was designed and built a lot earlier. It might be worth your time to do a little research on the history of Maico before you make a purchase decision.

Before you think I'm unduly trashing Maico keep in mind I've been a fan of the brand for a LONG time. I just have no delusions about how they compare to newer bikes.

http://www.dirtrider.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=655&catid=searchresults&searchid=435

I have done some reading about the history of Maico and I understand that the 2008 isn't exactly a new model. I guess what I meant by saying that is: Is anyone who has a late model Maico having to do the things you said in your earlier post to get their bike running right? If so I would be slightly bummed out but I still can't say that it would detour me from getting one. I've now read conflicting opinions which I will have to look into. Thanks for the info! Any more is much appreciated.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
kjumpmannn23 said:
Is anyone who has a late model Maico having to do the things you said in your earlier post to get their bike running right?

They haven't sold very many so getting much feedback is difficult. I've only talked to one guy who had one of the "new" Maicos. It was a European 500 not a US ATK branded 620.

He wasn't happy with the way it came out of the box (fit and finish), and had trans problems early on. Unlike the old days his had good suspension parts (White Power stuff I think) on it so he didn't have to pull the forks apart to make them work. At sea level his jetting was way rich but his came with a Mikuni on it stock so fixing it wasn't a big deal.

Overall he seemed disappointed and sold it.

I can't say if his experience is representative of the 2008 bikes, but given the piece meal nature of the brand these days it doesn't surprise me.

Hopefully you'll have better luck. :cool:

kjumpmannn23

Jan 7, 2009
Rich Rohrich said:
They haven't sold very many so getting much feedback is difficult. I've only talked to one guy who had one of the "new" Maicos. It was a European 500 not a US ATK branded 620.

Tell me about it, It's been quite difficult getting a lot of feedback about them. I've also only talked to one guy who wasn't a dealer and he says his 500 is the best biked he's owned. I hope I have more of his luck than the alternative. I'm going to think it over more and see if I can gather any more info. Thanks for the help :cool:

Mar 18, 2006
I'm glad that Rich responded to your question. I know nothing about Maico, other than what I have read, and I saw them at the races a long time ago. I didn't know anyone who raced one. I find your search for an open 2 stroke very interesting. I rode quite a few old open smokers (never owned one myself, I rode my friends' at times...."here try this out"...). They have an appeal all their own. I might own one yet. I would be nervous about buying a bike with very few examples around (parts availability, customer-based knowledge for support, etc.) It's nice that Maico is building these. But do you have the skills to sort one out? The Service machines are probably well sorted to begin with, and you can't beat the Japanese bikes overall. A lot of money. Buy one, keep it forever? It will last a long, long time. I don't know much, but if you are looking for the ultimate open bike, that sure looks like it. Other option, find a good used cr or kx and go thru it with a fine tooth comb and you'll have your bike for a lot less than even the Maico. I am not trying to discourage you at all, I'm just trying to help.

Good Luck! Long Live The Big 2 Stroke!

kjumpmannn23

Jan 7, 2009
longtime coming said:
I would be nervous about buying a bike with very few examples around (parts availability, customer-based knowledge for support, etc.) It's nice that Maico is building these. But do you have the skills to sort one out? The Service machines are probably well sorted to begin with, and you can't beat the Japanese bikes overall. A lot of money. Buy one, keep it forever? It will last a long, long time. I don't know much, but if you are looking for the ultimate open bike, that sure looks like it. Other option, find a good used cr or kx and go thru it with a fine tooth comb and you'll have your bike for a lot less than even the Maico.

I felt the same way about buying a bike that is so exclusive but I guess that's also part of the appeal. Just this morning I talked to someone who has experience with a few of the later models and he had nothing but positive things to say about them. In regards to sorting them out, I'm not as mechanically inclined as I'd like to be but I'm fortunate enough to hang with company who are. The man I talked to this morning who's worked on them says that parts are reasonably priced and they're relatively easy to work on.

The Service bikes look amazing and would definitely be my second choice as well as a restored CR or KX (there is an awesome restored KX on ebay right now :laugh: ). But as I said, they would be my second choice and as of now I'm going to do some thinking on my first and see what prevails. Thanks for the help :cool:

this guy

Jan 20, 2009
yeah really, there is a dismal lack of information about these bikes. I have heard that the older 700s feel like big tractors(the ancient engines that ATK sells). I did happen to meet a guy who has an 06 maico 500 and he said the power delivery on that thing was wicked. I heard that from guys about their 450s, so I don't know who to belive anymore. I myself am looking for a lightweight bike that is super pipy for a 6'0" 250lbs rider.

kjumpmannn23

Jan 7, 2009
I'm waiting to hear back from Atk and a couple of other sources regarding the 685 and 620 ATK/Maico. Hopefully I'll get some news soon. :bang:

Top Bottom