jayhedrick

~SPONSOR~
Mar 10, 2009
IndyMX said:
I haven't had a problem like that.. Your INR must have been freakin high as hell.. They're keeping me just under 3.

(INR is the factor in your blood that determines how quickly it clots)
dunno what the INR was.. but i went into afib.. they were worried about the blood clots pooling in the bottom chambers of my heart so they jacked up the thinners and shot me full of needles... sucked

jayhedrick

~SPONSOR~
Mar 10, 2009
the top two chambers where beating right at 200 beats per minute while the bottom two where beating at a normal rate

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
jayhedrick said:
the top two chambers where beating right at 200 beats per minute while the bottom two where beating at a normal rate

That sucks! Must have been shooting you with Lovenox... I had to give myself shots of that stuff for a week, twice a day. SUCK

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Had a check up with the Orthopedic Surgeon today.. He likes the healing, however he wants me to keep weight off the knee for another 4 weeks. SUCK.

Bigger SUCK, I have to start physical therapy ASAP. He said if there isn't significant improvement in my range of motion in 2 weeks, he's going to drug me up real good, and get my knee bent and freed up himself. It doesn't sound like the most fun procedure, but does sound effective.

He said that the muscles & whatnot around my knee have bound up with adhesion's. So the tendons and muscles aren't sliding beside my knee like they should when I try to bend it. It gets to a certain point and just stops bending. Not really painful, just won't go any further.

I don't look forward to having someone who can't feel the discomfort trying to move my knee.. This is gonna blow.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Breaking adhesions and regaining range of motion in your knee SUCKS.

Everybody's different, but it can be a long, slow, very painful process. But if you want range of motion again I don't think there are any other options.

Don't mean to freak you out. I probably better not say anymore.

Good luck!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
dirt bike dave said:
Breaking adhesions and regaining range of motion in your knee SUCKS.

Everybody's different, but it can be a long, slow, very painful process. But if you want range of motion again I don't think there are any other options.

Don't mean to freak you out. I probably better not say anymore.

Good luck!

I've been thru two surgeries for colon cancer.. I don't think you can say anything that will freak me out too much. I'm just glad my doctor offered to knock me the hell out first. Although I think it's more for his own safety than it is to make it easier for me.. ;)

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
Hang in there Indy. You've been through SO much...I know this may be a mantra of sorts...but it'l get better bud! If you lived near by I'd bring ya something of some sort to help. vague huh? Beer? good food? strippers? crossword puzzles?hahaha well I'm good at vague!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
In my experience, they usually let the physical therapist work with you on regaining range of motion.

When I shattered my knee back in the day and got out of the cast, that meant bending the knee as far as it will go, then leaning on it. And holding it for 10 or 15 seconds. Rest for 20 or 30 seconds. And repeat. Over and over. For about 1/2 hour, in addition to your normal work out. Several times a week. For as many weeks as it takes.

As long as you are making progress, it can be dealt with, but its no picnic.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
There was no way I could go through rehabbing my shoulder myself. The unbelievably priced therapists ARE worth it! But when the surgeon does his exam, MAN are you lucky! I will not elaborate on that anymore.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
SVTMc-G said:
Hang in there Indy. You've been through SO much...I know this may be a mantra of sorts...but it'l get better bud! If you lived near by I'd bring ya something of some sort to help. vague huh? Beer? good food? strippers? crossword puzzles?hahaha well I'm good at vague!

Crossword Puzzles, are you kidding me?

HA! Bring the strippers... Bring 3.. STAT

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
dirt bike dave said:
In my experience, they usually let the physical therapist work with you on regaining range of motion.

When I shattered my knee back in the day and got out of the cast, that meant bending the knee as far as it will go, then leaning on it. And holding it for 10 or 15 seconds. Rest for 20 or 30 seconds. And repeat. Over and over. For about 1/2 hour, in addition to your normal work out. Several times a week. For as many weeks as it takes.

As long as you are making progress, it can be dealt with, but its no picnic.

He said two weeks of PT.. Then if the progress isn't to his satisfaction.. He's breaking out the drugs. Going for the kill.

He's a very good doc, and rather large, and I'm sorta busted up, so I'll listen. Otherwise he may skip the drugs. It's not like I can run from him.

Crispy

Boss's Lil' Sis
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2001
Yikes Indy! Glad you are doing better, but sound like you have a way to go still.

As everyone already said, give PT 110%. Shiftless had to be 'knocked out' while the Dr "bent" her knee after scar tissue built up after knee replacement surgery. Not fun, but at least you would be knocked out. The Doc said he didnt know what was worse, the pain it would cause someone awake, or the sound of the scar tissue cracking. Nasty.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Chris

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
IndyMX said:
Crossword Puzzles, are you kidding me?

HA! Bring the strippers... Bring 3.. STAT

hahaha/ that's right!!!! My original band will be playing in Kokomo saturday night.....but alas....no strippers to drop off for ya. sorry. raincheck. I bet you'd like crossword puzzles written on a stripper?hahahaha

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
SVTMc-G said:
hahaha/ that's right!!!! My original band will be playing in Kokomo saturday night.....but alas....no strippers to drop off for ya. sorry. raincheck. I bet you'd like crossword puzzles written on a stripper?hahahaha

Hmmm.. sounds interesting, but no. I just want them as they were originally.

I'm going to a Flat Track race tomorrow night at the Marion County Fairgrounds.

I did PT today. Wasn't bad at all. No torture, no real pain. He had me doing most of the stuff myself. He showed me about 8 different exercises I have to do. Mostly stretching and whatnot.

And a while after I left PT, once things relaxed a bit, my knee felt great!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Good to hear Gary! Keep up the work, and start checking out knee braces. It is almost summer? I do know a method of speeding/making it way worse method?

I already have a knee brace.. I picked up a used Asterisk Cell.. It had some issues with the laces, but thanks to the good people at Asterisk, that's all taken care of.

Just waiting now for the swelling to go completely down so I can put it on and adjust it.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Just a little update..

Couple weeks ago I went to the doc, they put me out and bent my knee. Hurt like hell, once I woke up.

The following Monday I started PT.. 2 weeks every day. I'm now doing PT 3 days a week, for the next 3 or 4 weeks. Not sure how long.

In this short time I went from 50 degrees of bend to 87 degrees.. And 19 degress when straight to 11 degrees.

It's a slow process, but it's progressing and that's all that matters.

I'm still on crutches, but I can walk. I can kind of walk without them, but it's not easy.

As soon as I can walk without them, I'm going to get back on the bike.. I'm going crazy here!!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Ok.. another update.

I've been walking with a cane now for about 2 1/2 weeks. The last couple days mostly without the cane.

They measured me again Monday, 115 degrees bend and 4 degrees straight. (my right knee goes 150/-1). I'm getting a lot closer. Funny thing, the straightening is more important to your ability to walk normal than the bend. Who knew.

They cut me back from 3 days a week to 2. Starting next week.

I've been off the pain meds for about 4 weeks now. Flying solo!!

By next week I'll put the cane with the crutches, and almost look normal. (Shut it Bob!)

I bought a mountain bike, so I'll be out on that a couple miles a day pushing myself.

As it turns out, I won't be back on the bike very soon at all though. I need valves. They tightened up a couple weekends ago, and I'm not really comfortable shimming them again. I was looking, I may just go ahead and invest in a new head. They're only $235 from Service. That and a set of Kibblewhite Intakes should be the last thing I do to that engine. Still thinking about it though.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
What a coincidence Gary, I had Dirt mx on my mind today, well the flier helped also! Great news at any rate, bicycling and swimming is even better, just not a cold pool, grrrrrr that makes all the joint issues flare!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
A cold pool is all I can come up with right at the moment, however, I may check out a gym nearby.. They have a heated pool.. Just hate to pay for it.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
_JOE_ said:
Man, we got the cold here to.

Hey Gary, does building an MX track count as rehab?

As it turns out, it does.

Especially when the tractor either breaks down or runs out of gas.

No fuel gauge.. SUCK!!

Also, this week, I trashed the starter and ring gear on the flywheel. Not cool.

I discovered today that the tractor is a 1954 Ford 640. We were told that it was a 1960's vintage, however, Ford only made the 600 series from 1954 to 1957. And our serial number is in the 1954 range..

I've been hauling 2000# logs out of the woods, up the hills and across the pasture on a 55 year old tractor. Nice.

My brother and I, well, mostly me but I digress, are going to do some rehab on the old girl next winter.. Try to bring it back to how it looked new.

On the rehab front, I'm still not 100%. I can walk ok, but not like I used to. It still hurts pretty bad if I bend too much too quickly. But the recovery from one of those moments of ignorance is pretty quick, so it's encouraging. I'm really working hard on trying to get my knee to straighten all the way. It's still a few degrees from where it needs to be, and it really does affect how I walk.

On another note, I'm not sure if I mentioned it here, but I took a chunk of wood to the eye about a month ago. It flew out from the bush hog while I was cutting weeds. Yeah, I wasn't wearing safety glasses.. I know.. My vision is about as good as it's going to get I think. I haven't seen any additional improvement in a couple weeks. If this is the best that it will get, fine, but I'm going to need glasses or something for driving at night. Daylight I'm fine. Just a slight blur in my left eye.

Only 3 1/2 months left of the year. Wonder what else I can break or mangle.. ;)

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
Dang Gary, and I thought I had bad luck!hahaha. I narrowly escaped aluminum shard into my eyeball yesterday. I then realized..."dummy, you have two pairs of nice safety glasses.....may wanna put them on"!hahaha. I need to get my rear end up there and give you some help! Hard to get away at 60-70 hours a week. All I have is my weekends to get things done, band practice, house chores, gigs, family get-together's.

Keep the healing goin, and quit hurting yourself.haha

Top Bottom