JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
It's getting that time of year and many of us will still be riding and/or racing though the summer, so keep this file in the back of your head.

Don't ride alone and keep a eye on your buddies

Heat Exhaustion

The body’s response to an excessive loss of the water and salt contained in sweat.

Warning signs:

Heavy sweating
Paleness
Muscle cramps
Fatigue
Weakness
Dizziness
Headache
Nausea or vomitting
Fainting
Skin will be cool and moist
Heart rate will be fast and weak
Breathing will be fast and shallow

**If left untreated, heat exhaustion can progress to heat stroke**

Treatment:

Cool down the victim
Cool beverages, such as water and electrolyte drinks
Rest, remove from sun
Cool bath or towels/cloths

Heat Stroke

Occurs when the body is unable to control its temperature. Body temperature rises rapidly, loses its ability to sweat and is unable to cool down. Body temperature can rise to over 106 in only 10-15 minutes. This is a potentially fatal condition-seek emergency treatment immediately.

Warning signs:
Extremely high body temperature—over 103 orally
Red, hot, and dry skin—NO sweating
Rapid & strong pulse
Throbbing headache
Dizziness
Nausea and vomitting
Confusion and possible unconsciousness

Treatment:

Get immediate medical assistance
Cool the victim
Watch the victim

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
It's getting that time again

Be safe, be hydrated, have fun and be quiet

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
GUYS, it may seem simple and trivial, but the best way to avoid this is to ride with a Camelback (or similar hyration system). I use to work at a Bicycle shop and was "sold" on camelbaks when me and my bro were on a Loooong ride, I just finished off my last waterbottle that was very warm and asked my bro for some water from his camelbak. It was still very cold. I was sold.

70-100 oz is a LOT of fluid!! Research indicates that it is probably best to use some sort of sports drink for electrolyte replacement, BUT also because you are more likely to drink something with some flavor than just plane water. I usually put 1 large bottle of Gatorade in and the rest water and ice. I actually end up taking a leak or 2 during a day of riding, even if it is hot, which means I am drinking plenty.

I recently went on a ride with a buddy who had 2 bike water bottles in a fanny pack, kind of an awkward way to ride. The camelbak is easy to wear and even provides extra protection to your back (a LOT if MTB and road riders have some pretty awesome stories how it has saved their backs). I won't ride without mine anymore, I now have 2, one for light day rides with less room for tools, the other carries more water, tools, etc....I use this one for the all-day destination rides.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
You'd think it's pretty simple but year after year some rider/racer dies, we had a racer die 1 mile from the finish of a race. When you're racing or riding you don't really know you've reached that point until it's too late, then it become an emergency.

It's good to keep this stuff fresh in your mind this time of year just in case you or your riding buddies fall victim to it, cause every minute, every action will matter

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
This is timely.

Yesterday my friend Matt got heat stroke while riding in Pacoima Canyon (above Aqua Dulce).

They were decending down a steep set of switchbacks, in the full sun, with temps just over 100 and little breeze. Matt was in the lead and slipped over the side and got very overheated trying to get his bike back up on to the trail. When the other guys reached him he was dizzy and confused, they got him drinking, got his clothes off, got him in the shade and got him cooled down as much as they could while one of the guys went to a cell phone spot to call a med evac helicopter.

Despite their constant efforts he died 5 minutes before the chopper arrived.

Matt was 45, and in good shape.

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Oh man Kiwi, I am sorry to hear this, Matt, his family & you will be in our prayers

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Last year my daughter, son, cousin and I were up at Kennedy Meadows riding for the weekend. The last ride of the weekend we headed out about 9AM. We rode for about 3 hours then loaded up everything and started to head out after having something to eat and drink. About 5 miles down that windy road the daughter, who was driving the other car, became real ill. She was nauseated and ended up pulling off the side of the road. Before we knew it, she was completely lethargic. I thought it was the flu at first until the cousin, who is a Marine, said that she was dehydrated and was experience heat stroke. Man, seeing one of your own, especially your son or daughter, get sick that fast and being stranded on a windy roadway from civilization can scare the living hell out of a parent.

I learned my lesson real quickly and will never ever take hydration or heat stroke for granted again. Sorry to hear about your friend Kiwi.

426 Pilot

Apr 27, 2000
Kiwi, What an eye opener. Sorry for your loss.

Just a note, don't wait until you are thirsty and on the verge of dehydration to drink your water. Water takes a while to absorb into the cells so force yourself to drink throughout the ride, even if you are not thirsty.

If you are planning a ride and know it is going to be hot, start drinking a lot of water 1-2 days before. I used to have problems with cramps and dehydration while doing hare scrambles and I started focusing on drinking a lot of water a couple days before the events and it made a huge difference... another little trick that I used to do was to drink pedialyte the night before a race. It seemed to work, but it could have just been in my head.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Kiwi, sorry to hear that, prayers to the family.

The electrolytes are almost as important as water, there are cases where marathoners drink plenty of water but the blood is imbalanced, its called hypotremia or somthing like that. Drink pedialyte, gatorade, smart water, or somthing to get you lytes up as well.

misfitfmx

Aug 13, 2007
Make sure you take advantage of those breaks. Always get good rest and hydrate yourself before going out to ride for the day. Sleep always helps, I've blacked out before, I tried going out in the sun all day riding with my cousins after staying up the whole day before and all night, and not drinking anything at all.

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
The loss of Matt was tragic, a grim reminder of what the brutal, so. cal. sun can do to a person in good health. A rule of thumb I try to stick to, is during the months of June thru Sept. only go riding at elevations above 6000 feet. Matt's passing happened in mid may, during the first heat wave of the season.We must always keep our guard up,
especially with mother nature and bringing plenty of water. Some camelbacks & small backpacks will fit 2 water bags, Hence Forth the reserve principal. The objective being to never...ever run out of water. Just like fuel,when your water is half used up, your ride should be taking you back to camp or to to another source.
we must top up on water every chance we get, and keep an eye on each other if the condition get nasty as they did on that day.
My families condolences to Matt's family & friends,
also Donkey & Monkey, the men trying to help him.
May you rest in peace, Rider Matt.
Fraternally,"Porkchop"

Top Bottom