flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
Hey! My 02 426 has metal shavings in the oil filter compartment.There are none in the oil from the frame or from the main case.I did a search and found some info in these forums,but it seems a bit conflicted.I've been changing the oil regularly,but this is the first time I've changed the filter(I've had the bike for about 4 months).There seemed to be quite a bit of metal,not just a few specks. Any advice,suggestions,or soothing words of comfort and reassurance?Thanks!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Time to tear it down and find the source of the metal, before the piston comes flying out of the cylinder at your face.. ;)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Do you know if the motor ever been apart before?

So you are talking about shavings, rather than chunks or specks.

When I think shavings, I think of a spinning shaft or gear taking shavings from a case until there is enough clearance not to shave any more. Possible transmission or clutch. If it is relatively large bits from a case, it should be fairly easy to spot upon complete dis-assembly. Could be somebody put things back together incrorrectly during a previous tear down.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Just run it, it'll be fine! :nener:

Hey, it's what you wanted to hear right? ;)

I would certainly pull it down before you end up experiencing a catastrophic failure.

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
I would call them specks,I suppose.Nothing larger than the head of a pin.Small,flat pieces.No chunks. I know nothing about the bike's history.For all I know,it's the original oil filter and those are from break in,circa 2002.Is there any non pre-catastrophic reason for the shavings? Clutch wear? Should it be completely free of ANY shavings? Just the facts,please.Thanks.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
The original oil filter from 2002???

Oh my.. yeah, I think you should definitely tear it down.. Crap.. Talk about a complete lack of maintenance.

You've had it 4 months and you didn't bother changing the filter yet? Why?

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
The 2002 thing was,hopefully,a joke.......Hey,can I remove the filter cover and check for more metal without draining the oil? I went riding yesterday after cleaning it out and changing the oil,and I'm hoping it's done making metal babies.Can I just lean the bike over a bit and remove the cover or do I have to drain the oil.I know you guys have plenty to say and I want to hear it,but please answer that simple question.Thanks!.......P.S. Indy,I'm on a learning curve here,and there are all kinds of things I wish I could do correctly right from the start.I'm doing the best I can with what I have.Earlier question........can metal shavings ever be part of normal wear ?Thanks again.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
You should be able to lay it on the side and pull the filter cover. Anything bigger than a peice of glitter would really concern me. Clutch debris is usually very fine almost powdered aluminum, it looks like pearly metallic paint in the oil.

I would probably do what you are going to, look at the new filter and see if you have any more junk on it. If not keep riding and checking it often. If so start tearing into it.

Best of luck man!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Clutch wear would also have flecks of yellow metal (brass) in it.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I find fine shavings on the drain plug every tie I change my son's oil (Magnetic plug). I expect that even more comes out in the oil. The question is do you have separate engine and transmission oil? I believe that the newer Yami 250Fs do but I am not sure about the 426. I would be less concerned about the particles if they could be coming from the transmission. Note: I am NOT saying that there is no problem

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
Hey! I now wish I would have saved the pieces so I could compare with all this info I'm getting. They were no bigger than small pieces of glitter.As I recall they were silver.They were mostly not magnetic.Frudaddy.....one oil for everything on my 426.I'm going to take the cover off tomorrow(no garage and it's getting dark out)and see if it checks out.Hopefully,there will be very little or no junk in there.If there is just a little(perhaps leftover stuff?),I will take it out and check it one more time.If it's full of new shavings,I'll cry like a lost little girl.Thanks for the help,everyone.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Hey flap.

A good way to check to see if there is damage inside your engine is to remove the left side cover and expose the flywheel. Any large magnetic pieces of metal will stick to the flywheel and be easy to see.

Your bike shares the engine oil with the gearbox. Any large pieces of ferrous metal floating around in your engine will show up on the flywheel.

The small flecks of aluminum in the filter are mostly due to normal wear. Although, they should not persist or increase with oil changes. They are usually found in a new engine and should decrease over time.

Since your bike shares gearbox and engine oil, you should change your oil and filter often.

Just my $ .02

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
Thanks,89r. It's good to hear all the possible reasons for the shavings and all the things to go through to get to the bottom of it.Things to watch out for and things to not worry about so much.It's alot better for a fairly inexperienced guy like me to hear that there may be hope instead of "YOU'RE DOOMED!" right off the bat. Unless,of course,I AM DOOMED right off the bat! I appreciate you guys walking me through it.I'll let you know how it goes.Thanks.

Last edited:

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
First off see if they are metal or aluminum shavings. MOre than likely they are aluminum from the clutch basket.

Install a GYTR or Hinson basket in the bike and new clutch. That will solve the shavings problem there.

But you need to also remove the screen at the bottom of the downtube in the frame. Clean that also.

flapwick

Dec 30, 2008
Hey Matt. I did clean the screen in the frame and I don't believe it had any shavings in it.And yes,I think the other stuff was aluminum.An experienced friend of mine said the clutch felt a little notchy ,or some word like that,when he would start to release the lever.He said it was no big issue,but that I would need to replace the clutch eventually.I don't have that sensitive or knowledgeable of a feeling for how a clutch should or shouldn't feel,I only know when it's slipping.Which it is not ,yet. I'm gonna price the new clutch stuff and see if I can do it sooner rather than later.Thanks!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If the clutch felt notchy you might also plan on replacing the basket as that's where the grooves will be. You can possibly file them down a bit but that's just prolonging whay will need to happen.

Joyrider52408

Jul 12, 2018
So I just bought a bike, its a 2008 Kawasaki KX450F. Haven't even ridden it yet. Bike is in amazing shape...

I took the bike in to get it looked over and just have a few other things done and they said they stopped when they saw this because that's how bad they thought this was. Guy I bought the bike from says "that is of course what they're going to say! They're out for your money!" Guys basically saying don't worry about it...

I've been reading through these comments and theirs not really any solid answer on whether or not its fine or really bad. Of course without a picture its difficult to help people so hopefully by looking at this picture I get some good feedback on what I should do next...try and return the bike to the guy I bought it from OR keep the damn thing and wish for the best...SCARY....

I paid $2,700 and theirs no way I have the time to take apart OR the money to have it rebuilt, which, I wouldn't do anyways because thats too much money in an older bike like this.

Main thing I got so far from this post, is that if their is BIG chunks= BAD....smaller fine chunks=OK but watch and change your oil frequently and keep an eye on it.

BUT, question still remains....to keep the bike OR say WTF you can keep the bike I want my money back...

Looking at the pictures...what do you guys think?! Should I be worried? Or just keep the bike and not worry about it. BIGGEST concern....riding and then it breaking down on the track and officially being out $2,700 because its now been used by which means less likely he'd take it back...and could be considered my fault.

20180712_151358.jpg

Top Bottom