scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Eel - Placelast: Are you guys still planning on doing this trip April 5 -9th?

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Sent you a pm w my email address. The site says your settings won't allow emails.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Yes, looks good. When will you arrive at Green River State Park?

I will likely arrive Monday afternoon (4/5), and will leave either the following Friday or Saturday (4/9 or 4/10). I think John and his boy will be riding Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I'd be up for an additional ride on Friday just to make the most of the 37 hour round trip to get there and back.

I'll PM you my cellphone and home #s so we can strategize.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
sounds good.

I ll be arriving on the 5th.
I was planning on staying until Saturday as i really want to do the Arches NP tour John suggested on Friday.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I reserved a campsite today. Not sure if we can all park there so you want to reserve a spot as well. As of today, only one other camptsite, GR11, was still available all week. Get on it!

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I will have one up shortly but am still kinda fried right now. A hard final day of riding and the 16 hour drive back took alot out of me.

We took a ton of pictures between the five of us and John (not PlaceLast) also has a fair amount of helmet cam footage to share.

I had a GREAT time and am VERY glad I went. I would love to do something like this every year. We are already talking about an Oregon Dunes get-together for next year.

Everyone rode great, no injuries per se, and minimal bike problems or damage all things considered. We rode four days straight.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Here's a few pics and short report.

The yellow bike coming down is David Gill on the red trail coming back from 5 miles of hell. We rode up that on the way out. A lot of this trail was like this, very steep w lots of rock ledges to climb. Definitely the hardest day.

The red bike going up the rocks was Eel on 5 miles Miles of hell.

Then we have Eel going down a step down rock section on behind the rocks (day 3)

We rode for 4 days. 6+ hours each day. Day four was the hardest by far, but all were enjoyable.
We had a mix of slick rock, deep sand washes, lots of water and waterfalls to climb and of course beautiful country side. I rather enjoyed day 1, as we just randomly explored and wandered through canyons and sand dunes etc. It was a nice warm up for what was to come.

Day 2 we did some long trail work, combined with some thick over growth down by the Green river. (reminded me of Gilligans Island from Terrys old rides.) We followed that up with a narrow high sided canyon ascent. Completed with a flowing stream and several rock waterfalls to climb up.

Day 3. Into Moab. Ate at the Moab Dinner(a tradition for John)
then headed off down the trial. We had a pretty mellow but fun start (20miles or so) through some jeep trails and several stream crossings. Then turned into behind the rocks. this was a nasty little jeep eating trail. (lots of broken 4x4s along the way.) It was much easier on the dirt bikes although there were several tight and consecutive 2-4 ft rock drop offs. I sheared off 1/2 a foot peg trying to climb a granite slab. Rode the rest of day 3 and 4 on the footpeg stump.

Day 4. 5 MOH What was expected to be a short 6 mile ride to the trail head, turned out to be a brutal 20 mile trek from where we started. tough uphills, scary downhills. Often having to stop and question how to approach the obstacle. When we reached 5 MOH, three of us rode in, Eel, Placelast and Myself. After some amazing balancing acts and several bike dumps did we complete our ride. The whole time I was realizing we had to ride back. (its not a loop) Its a lot easier to drop off a vertical 4 ft rock than climb up it. In the end we all made it, a bit worse for wear and pretty exhausted. We took Johns ALT trail back, which was more high speed and less tech.

It was pretty cold, jackets were a must day 1 and 2. Though day 4 was warm- Too warm for how hard we were working.

John gill was an excellent tour guide and we had phenomenal terrain.

Each night we did the campfire and cookout thing. We all ate well, steaks and BBQ chicken every day.

The bikes held up well, despite being tossed into the rocks several times.
Amazingly, we only had 1 flat (twice) due to tube install error.

I broke off half a foot peg, ruptured both fork seals after a wet clay mud hole, bent a clutch level and cracked a rad shroud.

Others had other items, headlight, fender, throttle etc.
oh yeah and no one has any knobs left on the tires. :cool:

John H. had a sweet new FI 390 Husaberg to bang around. That bike looked and ran great. The rest of us were on 2smokers.

An awesome trip and well worth it. I look forward to Oregon next year, Eric.

Attachments

• 003_23Asmall.jpg
    003_23Asmall.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 295
  • 025_0Asmall.jpg
    025_0Asmall.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 303
  • 016_10Asmall2.jpg
    016_10Asmall2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 297

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
More pics,

1)Placelast and Eel pulling Placelast's bike up the 2nd of 4 consecutive ledges. He couldn't wheelie w the rekluse. Serves him right for using the cheater clutch.
2)Placelast son David riding up the same section. W a std clutch. He made it up cleaner than any of us.

3) Eel bike repairs on the day 4 red trail. FYI I took this shot while sitting under a shade tree. Just doing my part :)

Attachments

• 013_13Asmall.jpg
    013_13Asmall.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 297
  • 014_12Asmall.jpg
    014_12Asmall.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 324
  • 015_11Asmall.jpg
    015_11Asmall.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 290

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Good stuff, wish I was there :(

Does John's bike still have clutch lever?

Torn off knobs? should have all been using trials tires...

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
No he has the left handed rear brake.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Chris: we sure missed you. Maybe next year? No clutch lever - have LH rear brake instead. I could have used the clutch to launch over; it is setup with low-RPM engagement. My trials tire did fine, though my son's not so with a few burnouts and riding it like a knobby despite me telling him there's better ways.

Here's my report.

The weekend before the trip brought with it an unusual outcome in that Jonala suggested we do an MTB race instead of a trail ride – my first such event. Seeing my class (beginner) was to be 13 miles or less I thought it to be no more than my typical bi/tri-weekly 6-8 mile pleasure/exercise/fitness maintenance regime. Was I ever wrong.

They gave us some anti-cramp gel (food?) at the signup but I had no idea whether to use it; the ingredients were beyond my college chemistry vocabulary.

Things got off to an awkward start upon forgetting my sunglasses, so I used up my spare energy 6 miles) to ride back to the car before we were let loose on the course. I was certainly cut from a different cloth with baggy gear and plain one-color tones, though that did not concern me one bit as performance on the trail means more to me than flash or fashion.

The start was uneventful and the first uphill quite a continuous grind. Everyone was inching forward and back in position though what was done in this stage mattered little, being a small part of the loop. Relief finally came with an uphill single track with switchbacks. On the first two bikes ahead stalled; finding space around afforded a pass on the downhill side though there was log I could not hop, so down I went into the bushes. All was cleared on my second pass.

Some fast downhill single track followed and emptied out onto a fire road with more pedal mashing. We mixed with a few intermediates backtracking from a wrong turn.

The peak and ridge did not come soon enough, and my thinking is relief was to be had but not so as we were higher in altitude and pace required to maintain position. All other, higher classes had spun off onto their difficult sections while us beginners remained on the fire roads. This is when we started to spread out. It was humbling to be passed by a few of the gals and one young kid, though I passed the latter trailside in the next hour whilst he looked to be/considered hurling breakfast.

All of the classes rejoined for a second single-track downhill off of the mountain peak. It was fast and flowing, and where exhaustion started to kick in. I lost feeling in my hands yet barreled down to the creek crossing; not downshifting correctly cost me a clean climb on the other side and upon dismounting began to wonder the wisdom of all this. As we were lead onto another fire road I entered into an altered state of consciousness I heard about before but never personally experienced, and begin to ponder primarily loved ones, food, etc. It was a strange sense of moderate detachment – there but not fully. Had there been an escape I certainly would have chosen it.

The last single track section was before me so I gave it what was left in my tank to finish. There were the beginnings of spectacular wildflower displays though no time to enjoy the display. A long downhill section afforded speeds beyond reason, and just before the bottom I was greeted and passed by Jonala; it was comforting to hear a familiar voice yet he had his pace to maintain position. Six water crossings followed. I bypassed one by carrying my bike, though did all the others; wend down in one as the rocks were slick.

Upon entering the finish cone one spectator gave an encouraging yell which helped me petal the last 20 feet.

From then on a delirious feeling remained, sitting with Jonala while I stared off into the distance. He left after composing himself and I needed more.

Later that evening I found a deer tick and poison oak rash; the former concerned me more than the latter though the doctor said there was no evidence of a bite/lyme. Phew! The PO did fully develop and spread though did not blister; my concern was the affects it might have had on the Moab trip though it became a non issue, which is why I am wrote this first – it almost became a show stopper.

I surprisingly placed 4th out of 6 in my old-guy class. No – not going to do another.

Okay now onto the real report: Moab.

I left the Bay Area Sunday afternoon and made it down to my son’s place in San Luis Obispo to spend the night. He was off to work so I did his shopping. I was unable to get much sleep – maybe 3 hours? - by the time he arrived at 3 am, and from there we loaded up and left town at 4 before sunrise.

Not much can be added to our drive until we were in Utah at the leading edge of a storm front. As we turned east on 70 for the final stretch snowflakes began to fall thickly and I pondered the likelihood of spending the evening/night roadside. Therefore I asked my son to lower his speed according to the conditions (trailer was full of bikes and firewood); we had three mountain passes to conquer before reaching the safety of the lowlands. Making it though afforded us spectacular views of the San Rafael Swell into the Green River/Moab basin. We pulled into our campsite and greeted John H. from NM who had arrived two days earlier. I’ve ridden often with John whilst in NM and he was sporting a new and spotless Husaberg 390.

We setup our campsite and called Scar, who was in the middle of the storm we had mostly avoided – I’ll let him describe the things he saw. Eel was on the Idaho/Utah border and wondering if he could make it though the same storm; he ended up pulling off the road briefly due to low visibility and waiting it out. Scar pulled in around 9-10 pm and Eel at 4 am.

With a mid morning start we headed to White Wash for some casual exploring. Our guide could not make it so we did the best we could to find intriguing geological features, and were not disappointed after passing though the dunes and upon discovering Dead Cow loop. There we found repeating waterfalls with pooling water until we had a break at the east bank of the Green River. I saw this on some vids and pix and always wanted to do it – and now we were! Continuing on, we followed the river until the trail split east. I was surprised it was the correct trail away from the river, and it was just as much of a challenge to negotiate as the former section; maybe more as it was uphill. It all ended too soon. Once back on the ridge we continued east though wanted more single track. We found some back to the dunes area and eventually to the trucks. About 50 miles were covered, with the Dead Cow loop the sure highlight of the day.

My son BBQ’d chicken and we had a fine campfire with CA White oak wood I got from a rancher. It was sure a treat to spend time chilling around the fire with the compadres.

Wednesday afforded us another loop on the north portion of the San Rafael Swell. We did the Devil’s racetrack and the wash leading counterclockwise to Swasey’s cabin. The canyon walls were quite vertical and freeway bridges high; some of the walls allowed getting off of the trail and riding up on them (you had to look for/use ones without drop-offs and safe lines!). There were two arches seen on this loop – one tall and the other wide. The afternoon loop consisted of Waterfall trail to the south – I should have slowed the pace as it affords good views to the west, but wanted enough time to do the color loops and maybe 5 Miles of Hell. We ended up not having enough daylight to do the latter loop. ~70 miles of trail for the day.

Thursday morning was breakfast at Moab Diner then off to Kane Creek. The first several miles were like a DS ride then turned into great fun with innumerable water crossings. Things got hairy with one climb for I missed the bypass; after half of us barely got up the climb we backtracked to the bypass. Someone had brought two sets of steel ramps to traverse two gaps in the trail, and eventually we made it to the highway for 3 miles of pavement to Behind the Rocks trailhead. The harder path was closed for some study and it took some navigating to find our way to Pritchett, which was a demanding jeep trail – good we did it the easy way. After another 50 miles we split up as Eel, Scar, and my son went to sightsee Arches Nat. Park. Back at camp with John H we packed him up and he headed back to NM. Kane Creek (minus the radical climb) and Arches were the highlights for the day, and we spent the evening around the campfire reviewing the pictures and day’s events.

The vote was to do 5 Miles of Hell for Friday so off we went. Saying I’d never do it again, I gave in. I’ve been there twice from the north, so doing it from the south became problematic as the markings were sketchy. After a few miles of exploring on the wrong trail we found the correct path and did a long, demanding loop of 50 miles. Injuries and bike damage? Yes. On 5 MOH my speedo sensor broke (from hitting and squeezing though all the rocks) and wrapped around the hub, stopping any forward motion. I now have a bruise from slamming forward to the handle bar; once initially and then again after thinking it was something else. I first thought it was a bent rotor, but upon pulling the disk guard saw the bracket had broken and all wedged in. With Eel’s help we rotated the wheel backwards and released it.

The pictures of his climb don’t do any justice as many like situations required complex maneuvers/corrections within short distances and often less than your bike’s wheelbase; this is 5 MOH I am speaking of. For example, you see the one with Eel going up a rock face; the trail is marked in a “Zee” on the rock though you cannot see it from Scar’s camera angle. Eel had just prior done a 270-degree turn on the lower left by stopping and repositioning to get a good run; then between the top of the rock and where he is pictured there is a similar 120-degree turn to the left on a ledge, not apparent in the picture, just above his front tire; going straight up is not an option nor viable. Things got more and more demanding and frequent as you progress inward on this psycho trail.

Sadly, we had to avoid some of my favorite trails, though there is next year.

It is now four days after and I am still tired and limping…

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
placelast said:
It is now four days after and I am still tired and limping…

I thought maybe the Green River monster got the crew.

Me.. I'd ride some piece of junk that I didn't care about in that place.

:yikes:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
1. Scar's arm with massive new scrape and 3 nice blisters
2. Washington welcomes me home !!!
3. Tim rocks a step-up as PlaceLast looks on

Attachments

• 58890012_edited.jpg
    58890012_edited.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 235
  • 58890017_edited.jpg
    58890017_edited.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 230
  • 58900002_edited.jpg
    58900002_edited.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 243

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
1. David Gill on the step-up
2. David Gill (left) and I (background) toil and slave while PlaceLast and John H. loaf - the look on my face communicates the brutal hardship we endured - this pic taken about one second before we pinched the brand new tube we just put in - AAARRRRGGGHHH!
3. Some nice scenery as we take a break

Attachments

• 58900007_edited.jpg
    58900007_edited.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 227
  • 58900005_edited.jpg
    58900005_edited.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 230
  • 58900004_edited.jpg
    58900004_edited.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 262

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
1. David on a tricky rock face
2. Scar up the rock face
3. Our camp - my tent on the left, Tim's truck, and my red truck on the right

Attachments

• 58900009_edited.jpg
    58900009_edited.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 271
  • 58900010_edited.jpg
    58900010_edited.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 244
  • 58900014_edited.jpg
    58900014_edited.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 242

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
1. Camp from a different angle - PlaceLast's and David's RMX 250s on the trailer, John H.'s red truck and campsite in the background
2. David Gill up a really tough rock hillclimb
3. John H. through the water on his shiny new Husaberg FE390

Attachments

• 58900015.JPG
    58900015.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 249
  • 58900016_edited.jpg
    58900016_edited.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 241
  • 58900020_edited.jpg
    58900020_edited.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 246