Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
I'm thinking about buying a used trials bike to learn and play around on. I might be going to look at a 1998 Montesa COTA 315R. I know nothing about these bikes or any other trials bike. Would an older Montesa be a good trials bike to start out on? Any problems to watch out for? Supposedly this bike has about 8 hours on a new top end and several other new parts. Any other bikes that I should be considering? I would like to stay under $2,000 on my first one just to see if I will like it or not. This bike is in the mid 2's.

Thanks,
Neal

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
A perfectly fine bike! If the bike was maintained it will be tough to find any other bike of that vintage that has aged as well. It will have typical HRC (i.e. Honda) build quality and the evolution from the '98 to the current model isn't light years as it is with other brands, just refinement of a great bike, parts should be much easier to get for this reason as well.

Be sure the skid plate isn't mangled to bad and that the rubber buffer is in place between the plate and bottom of the cases as there is no frame tube to cradle the engine. The bottom of the head pipe is a pretty typical place for a crease or dent, as long as it's not massive it's not really an issue. Plastic & graphics are a little more expensive that you would think. Verify that the foot pegs are level or a little high on the outter points, pointing down can be fixed but can be a little dangerous if you don't notice it. There are two throttle tubes for the Domino assembly a white and a black, the white is called the "fast" throttle having less range and may be a little odd to get used to if you don't have good control skills, I may have a black tube in my tool box if you need it. Be sure the cooling fan is operational as the radiator is small so that cooking the engine isn't an issue. The stock clutch in my 2000 is a slipper style so it may feel strange that it doesn't seem to totally disengage, I'm not certian that the '98's did or din't have this type.

Don't worry about not liking it, I have not met a single person that didn't enjoy these little bikes once they tried them. :thumb: Good luck in the search and an early welcome to the dark (& slow) side! :)

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
THE BIKE IS IN PERFECT MECHANICAL SHAPE AND VERY GOOD COSMETIC. LAST WINTER AFTER PURCHASING THIS BIKE I PUT IN NEW TOP END,CHAIN,TIRES(MICHELIN RADIAL TRIALS),SPROCKETS,REEDS,NEW STYLE CARB,RENTHAL BARS WITH RISERS,ALL THE PLASTIC.

He claims that he put 8 hours on it since all of this work has been done. All I've seen is a picture of the bike. Assuming that all of this info is correct, what do you think is a fair price range for this bike.

Thanks,
Neal

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
$2,500 would seem fair. $2,100 would be a good deal for you and $2,900 would be a good deal for him.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Don't take what I say as gospel, there's always folks with more knowledge floating about. Ya' might check HERE for some good basic info on bikes your interested in. The home site is really good as well :thumb:

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Humm, sounds like a high hour bike to need all that work. Personally I'd pass and hold out for a lesser-used machine. There are plenty of them out there. The last 315 I saw a top end go into was absolutely the most clapped out one I've ever seen, and I've seen about 50 315s over the last 3 years.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by Patman
Don't take what I say as gospel, there's always folks with more knowledge floating about.
Like I said :worship:

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
I also recommend going to the '00 and later bikes if you have the budget for it. The Showa suspension is a big improvement. Don't get me wrong, any of the current framed bikes (96 and later I believe) are great bikes. Oh on the work done to the bike listed above, trials bikes generally are not hard on chain and sprockets at all. Unless this guy did all the work because he had nothing better to do with his $$, the bike had alot of hours on it to need that work.

Keep in mind you don't want to add the cost of this type of work to the value of the bike - it just means the previous owner got the use out of the parts he replaced, therefore with the work done to it the bike is back up to its real value, not value minus the cost of the work that needs done to it. It is not a value plus the parts/work game - always value minus when it needs things fixed.

All this being said, if the bike is as good as it says above, 2 grand would be an OK deal for it. Once the bikes are more than a few years old it is all about condition. You gets what you pay for. The bike really has no "value" based on its year being a '98, it is all condition at that point. Significant changes are a different story though. This is what you'd call a "current generation" bike, so you are Ok with that.

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
I just found another Montesa that I'm interested in. This one is all original accept for the plastic, chain, sprockets and tires. I don't know why all of this was changed. It is a two owner bike and the current rider hasn't rode it much but was a riding buddy with the guy who had it before him. They both claim that they never had any problems with the bike and that it needs nothing. It is a "97" and he is asking $2,000 for it. Again I have only seen pictures. If I decide that I'm definately interested I will go check it out. He lives about 2 hours from me. My biggest problem is that I'm healing up from a broken shoulder and can't ride just yet. I guess I will have to get someone else to test ride it for me. I really don't want to spend over $2,000 if I can find a decent bike for that. I am just getting into this sport and want to make sure that I will stick with it before spending a lot of cash. I already have a 450exc for enduros.

Thanks,
Neal

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Monkey Butt - got your pics but had to delete them due to my yahoo box being full. Did look at them though.

The bike looks clean, all there, and not beat up. Given its age, I;d do a fork oil change ASAP unless you can confirm it was done and plan on maybe have to send the shock out sometime (assuming they were servicable that year).

Other than those age issues, the bike looks good. What city/state is it in? Are there any local trials riders you can get to tag along to go look at it with ya?

Leo.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I rode Justin's Montessa, I think it's a 315R, at Oregon. Don't worry about not liking it (trials) - you'll be hooked after 5 mins.

Yes, John - I'm seriously trying to figure out how to buy one of my own.

Brian

Aaron Stone

Dec 29, 2005
98 Montesa 315r Help!!!!

I have on of these things and cant find any info anywhere.. Where could i get the specs on what fluids to stick where?? I am needing to replace fork seals and a coupe of other things and really need to know HOW MUCH FORK OIL, what weight, etc.... Any help whould be gggrrrrreat!!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Well look what the cat drug in!

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Hey Super-P!! Yup still around. See my post in 4 strokes. Got a dead 250x :-( Only 400 miles too.

The monty has sat for a year. Gonna get it out this spring though for sure. Got busy moving (again), working on the new (if you call 1908 new) house, and being a good slumlord over the apartment bldg I bought.

The XR284 and the CRE 260 are up for sale if you know any takers. the 280 has some head work now and the Wiseco piston in it. Runs GREAT - about 300 miles since new bore/piston/valves.

Later, Leo.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'm really diggin my 284. Got a TM33 for it I need to fit up this weekend. Shoot me your cell some time, Cingular seemed to have saved me the trobuble of deleting old numbers when they killed my SIMM card on a phone swap.

Top Bottom