25Cameron25

Jul 15, 2008
I have $400 and want to buy some engine mods for my 2006 crf250r. Its mostly stock with no engine mods. I am taking suggestions on exhuast and any other engine mod. And also i can buy pieces of an exhaust over time, like slip-ons now, header later.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Make sure the engine internals are fresh. A high compression piston is a nice boost, especially in the low end torque. Make sure the valves are good and the springs aren't too old. Then if you have any money left, do the suspension. Suspension, or any other part of the bike is worthless if the engine won't run.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Dude, the possabilities are endless. Budget is usually the deal breaker. 400 bucks won't get you too far into the motor in your bike. Porting, an 08 cam, multi map ignition. For the suspension, call up the shop who want to do the work and tell them what you have and what you want. Most places will send you boxes specifically for your suspension.

25Cameron25

Jul 15, 2008
ha the thing is i dont really know much of anything about suspension or engine mods. I am only 15 and i just like to ride. sure i clean the air filter, change the oil and lube my chain but thats about it. i know how an engine works pretty good and mostly how my dirtbike works but not that much about mods. what does engine mapping do? and whats good about a new cam? and how much does porting cost? thanks alot for your help

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Here's thought...

Spend that $400 on any gear you might need that you don't have yet. And go ride the thing. You probably don't need any of the "mods" you think are cool.

Modifying for they sake of modifying is a waste of money.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Judging by your last post, you are probably overdue for a piston anyway. Just maintain the stock motor, you can upgrade parts as they wear out. Like Indy said just go ride it. Make sure you have good quality gear. Spend some money on a riding school, it will be the best money you could spend!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Do you have an estimate on how many hours are on your engine? How many sizes from stock are your valve shims? 15? How much do you weigh? If its under 150lbs, you may benefit from lighter springs. What does your sag measurements say?

25Cameron25

Jul 15, 2008
There are probably about 70-85 hours on my engine. And i dont really know what valve shims are to good but i know they are the stock ones. I way about 155 and my sag is perfect. Know im thinking maybe a top end rebuild with maybe a higher compression piston? And another thing...i paid $4000 for this bike so im not about to screw it up trying to replace the top end by myself so how much do you think a shop would do it for?

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
$400 70-85 hours on engine, stock valve shims. No money for mods right now.
If the engine truly has 70-85 hours on it I would use the money on maintenance issue's. Such as piston and rings and valve work because its due. If you do the work yourself $400 will cover part of the cost.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
25Cameron25 said:
There are probably about 70-85 hours on my engine. And i dont really know what valve shims are to good but i know they are the stock ones. I way about 155 and my sag is perfect. Know im thinking maybe a top end rebuild with maybe a higher compression piston? And another thing...i paid $4000 for this bike so im not about to screw it up trying to replace the top end by myself so how much do you think a shop would do it for?
You are definately overdue for the piston. I would be surprised if the valves are still in spec. Use the 400 bucks to have the piston changed, it SHOULD be enough. Call a reputable repair shop and get a price. Have the valves checked while you're in there. You're moving towards a head rebuild in the near future.

25Cameron25

Jul 15, 2008
ok. thanks for the help guys. now im looking at higher compression pistons. I was looking at tokyo mods which was like $260 and pro circuit which was $250. Also does a higher compression mean more power? cuz they have 13.0-14.5 tokyomods pistons.

May 10, 2007
dude i dont think your listening to anyone. you dont need mods, you need maintenance. you bike is probably has about 50 more hours then it should on that piston and rings. and if you have never adjusted you valves they are probably way out of spec. also a higher compression means more maintenance which you wont do and thus more wear and tear on the bike.

but heck dont listen to anyone and see what happens. i mean the worst that could happen is that you need to redo the whole engine bottom and top after it gernades. psh if that happens you might save money by buying a new engine.

25Cameron25

Jul 15, 2008
umm ya im listening. im replacing my piston and rings. and gonna get my valves checked. im just looking at a nicer piston. and also i made a mistake at first. i sat down and really thought about it and did some math and it probably has 50-60 hours on it.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Do you know what size shims are in it now? The high compression piston, may require race fuel, and will shorten the 15 or so hours that Honda recommends changing the rings. I really do not know what just the piston would do for performance, by itself. I know that wiseco sells good pistons. You will get what you pay for. Normal maintenance, you should have got 2 pistons and 1 valve job by now. When the valves go, it will start hard, and make no power off bottom. When the rings go, it will seize. Running long on a loose piston will ruin your bore, without seizing. Get a shop manual, and some tools.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
When the rings go, it will seize.

No it won't. It will lose cylinder pressure, lose power, and probably hurt the bore at some point, but it won't seize from the rings wearing out.

If it did, four strokes would be seizing left and right at every local track. People tend to leave the rings in well beyond their useful service life.

25Cameron25

Jul 15, 2008
ok. well i finally have a pretty good idea of what i think i am going to do. so tell me how this sounds. I am going to buy a Wiseco piston that comes with everything needed for a top end rebuild- piston, rings, wrist pin, circlips, and top end gasket. Then i plan on buying a honda service manual for my bike and doing the installation myself. Is this possible? or should I take it into a dealer. I really want to learn how to do it myself so maybe i could have some people on here help me or maybe there is already a post about it somewhere on the site. then i am going to take it into a big dealership in colorado springs, apex sports, and have them check my valves? anything else? because the top end is only $162 on motosport. so thats pretty good and i still have some money left over if i need it. Thanks for everybodys help.

25Cameron25

Jul 15, 2008
oh yes. and one last off topic thing. when i replace my top end should i spend the money and get amsoil full syn. or just keep using my cheap honda oil and changing more often?

25Cameron25

Jul 15, 2008
oh and of course. i have all the metric sockets, and wrenches and i was wondering what (if any) special tools i would need to rebuild the top end?

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
A torque wrench for sure, for checking your own valves in the future a thickness gauge. and if you can do the whole topend by yourself then there is no reason why you can't buy a shim kit and check your own valves.

Top Bottom