dombush

Oct 23, 2005
Re:-Mota Software

Hi

Have a look at Macdizzys site they have some tests of 5 different software packages.

If you have the time and patience there is quite an array of freeware out there, although you have to use bits and bobs of various packages to get where you need to be.

My experience is quite old now, but theTSR programs are a very proffessional package.

With cylinders, intakes, pipes, porting getting more complex to gain efficiency you need to keep up to date. If you look at Erics site you will notice what software he uses, and will accept outputs from. I take this as a hint!!

Hope this is helpful

Dominic

Flummo

Oct 9, 2001
I have looked at Macdizzy, and there is some interesting reading there. The problem is that the software-info is 6 years old, and as you know software ages alot in that time. I also looked at Erics site, but I couldn't find much info there. It's probably there, but I dont find it now. The Dynomation software mentioned at Macdizzy sounded interesting, but their webpage is a nightmare. A jungle of diffrent software, and all seems to be meant for fourstrokes. Again, there is probably the info I want there, but I really don't want to read the info about every single program. Is it that hard to make a webpage that is easily navigated?

As for the available freeware, I have used Bimotion, Blairs programs and a few others. They are great at what they do, but I miss one thing: The possibility to run simulations of the engine to see what one modification or another would be expected do to the engines performance. I have a couple of small relatively low performance engines in mind, I want to see what a few simple changes to the exhaust might do for example. I also want to gett better performance from engines that already have high performance, but I'll save that for later.

dombush

Oct 23, 2005
Flummo

well its sounds as if your right where i am. I found most of the low end packages give you approx time areas and durations but do not "simulate" the engine.

This was my point about getting an up to date package.

If you want any of the freeware i was talking about let me know.

Dominic

Flummo

Oct 9, 2001
Thanks for the offer about the freeware, but I think I have tried most of what's available and it feels like it is time to move up a step now. I have read all the info I could find about the simulation software, and from that Mota 6.10 seems like a good choice. So, unless anyone can give me a reason why I shouldn't choose Mota, that probably is what I'll buy when I have the money.

Flummo

Oct 9, 2001
Just doing a update for other interested persons: A friend bought mota recently and we have been sending pictures, numbers and ideas back and forth between us over msn messenger. I must say that I am impressed with the simulation capability, and the simple way to evaluate modifications is worth alot. If the engine actually behaves anywhere close to what Mota says it will this in just great.

JFN

Jan 3, 2001
simulation software

Flummo;
Check out the web site below. it will give you a good idea about Mota and another sim package by Neels van Niekerk. SAE is offering GP Blair's sim software for 2-strokes which goes along with his book. If I understand correctly Neels studied under Prof. Blair and incorperates some of Blair's theroies into his software. I have Blair's simulation software for 2-strokes with expansion chamber and it looks like Neels might be better since he is using discharge coefficients and Blair didn't. Plus you can do more with Neels sim and Neels is cheaper.
http://www.rddreams.com/rddreams/ht...wtopic&t=7560&highlight=neels+dat2t+simulator

2T4T

Mar 24, 2004
Hello ,
I would start by MOTA as it is cheap , fast and suffisant to learn about a lot of things : timing , pipe , ignition... MOTA cannot manage A/F ratio that need to be set to a value according to a dyno test first. Peak power match well (pipe setting and porting) with real. Effect of combustion chamber (squish) cannot be managed. Variable timing is ok also. MOTA tend to produce similar power curves shape but it is normal as nothing is asked about cylinder benchflow and combustion ! For a very high perf engine , real test are better but to modify a road engine to a higher BMEP level , MOTA will be of great help. A power curve with a nice "round" shape in MOTA produced by a appropriate setting between port timings and pipe will run very hard in real world.
With coming Duo Core proc and if Dat2T can use this advantage , I will be a very good second step for better accuracy with high perf engines.
R.

Sufnituner

Apr 28, 2007
Free engine simulator

I' think your problem will be solved by the following software: Lotus Engine Simulation. Please search by Google, I'can't linked it.
You can download the freeware version. It's limitated but I' think it's full version for us.
It's a very complex software, hard to use.

Top Bottom