mud riding techniques

penguin

N. Texas SP
I need to know what techniques some of you use when riding in mud. We don't have to do it that often here in Texas and I know some of you guys in the Northeast ride in it all the time, share your wisdom with a wallowing Texan.

------------------
You weren't born knowing this stuff.

Wear lots of pads :D

------------------
Dennis                                            Col Oh
99husqvarna wr250

The padding idea is a good one, the mud will put you on the groung before you can even say OH $%IT!

Jewell

Sponsoring Member
Here I go destroying my credibility again.

This may be totaly incorrect for most people but this is how I deal with mud and slimy stuff.

VERY LIGHT ON THE THROTTLE! My kx has a nasty hit in the power band and when I know it's about to hit I use the clutch to smooth out that hit. If not the back end will just wash out usually resulting (for me anyway) in a high side situation. It seems to me that when I'm in the slime it is best to pick the straightest line possible. I ride woods so if there is a muddy turn with a tree on the inside of said turn I will cut to the inside of said tree where there will usually be some brush to allow for more traction in the turn. There is also something to be said for center of gravity. I try to stay right on top of the bike, preferably stand on pegs in the attack position. Leaning to one side or the other will result (for me anyway) in the rear tire kicking and again another high side, or was that low side. Anyway neither is good so I keep my weight on the CL (center line).

Hope this post isn't too long but I love it when I can give some advice. (it's not very often I get a chance to do so) I do alot of mud puddle dodgeing, all the while skiming across the wash out from these puddles. I think the main idea is not to let your back tire spin resulting in a loss of traction.

Cool?

Oh yah! SOFT TERRAIN NOBBIE!
------------------
Shake it but don't break it. Already got's a crack in it.

[This message has been edited by Jewell (edited 11-01-2000).]

Momentum is the key. Keep your speed up and don't be afraid of the bike moving around under you. Ride loose on the bike and keep up momentum :D

- a d v e r t i s e m e n t -

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Keep your speed, stay loose and maintain constant throttle presence. Meaning keep the rear wheel lit up to keep it cleaned out.
NOw there is a few different types of mud, gumbo, tacky, and slippery. all take some what different approaches.
Main thing is to keep the tires cleaned out maintianing a good speed.

ALso don't always follow the beatin path if you think its a better spot try an area that has not been rode on it mite have better traction.
keep the clutch in hand also, bike will stall easier with the lack of traction.

most of all HAVE FUN mud can be a great time......but it also can be nasty be careful

wardy

penguin

N. Texas SP
Taraker, how much did it cost to rebuild your bike after that race? :)

LocoCD

Lifetime Sponsor
Throttle control and the ability to shift your weight around (balance) are imperative. Take it slow through the water holes - covering yourself with muddy water is miserable. I laugh after the end of a ride and I am relatively dry and my son is soaked, he has a hard time understandimg that going slow sometimes makes you faster.

And finally, when it gets really nasty you might need to use your feet as "outriggers" for stability.

------------------
2000 XR650R - The ultimate beginner's bike.

bud

Technique depends on what type of terrain you are on. I pretty much do what wardy suggest when it possible to go that fast. Keeping the knobs clear makes life a lot easier. Brand new soft terrain tires are also worth their weight in gold in some slippery spots.

Where it's not possible to go that fast, I often do as lococd suggests. Using the clutch for more precise control over rear wheel traction can help also.

One section on my local single track that gives me a lot of pleasure to get thru clean is a very slippery, muddy, rooty off camber on a slight hillclimb. The rut/line leads straight into trees in many spots, and the only thing that seem to work is standing up the whole way - if you have to dab, 99% of the time, you end up having to get off and push - being very conservative but constant with the throttle, and being able to balance well, as for several hundred feet both wheels are sliding down the off camber a foot or so for every foot forward. Ie, have to oversteer carefully.. Dunno if that would help anything in most places, I've never seen anything else quite like it.

Btw, Taraker, have some feelings for us lowly modem users will ya? :) That bloody thing took a minute to load for me :(

taraker

Freedom Ain't Free
Man, I did not realize how big that pic was, sorry.

Some of the posts have a good point on riding cleanly through the mud when possible and that is a very good point. The cleaning job on my bike and equipment plus car and trailer took a whole day.

Additionally, I thought about your post last night and I think the technique for riding in the mud in allot different on a 4 stroke than a two stroke. I have not ridden in mud like Pittsburg on a two stroke bit I think it is probably alittle easier on a thumper. Where are you located anyway, we will have to hook up and go riding sometime.

A lot of good tips here but nobody has said anything about RED CLAY. That stuff is nasty.If it's thick and soupy not to much of a problem but if just a little wet on top and hard pack underneath lool out it's like riding on ice.

------------------
Dennis                                            Col Oh
99husqvarna wr250

taraker

Freedom Ain't Free
Well this is not a slam on the Badlands in Texas, but one August day, no rain for 60 plus days, black dirt and hard as concrete and some high school kid decides to check out the new side sprayer on the water truck on a flat no grove corner and I hit it without thinking.

Flat tracking with knobbies sucks! - This stuff was like ice. I probably owe the kid an apology for all the colorful names I called him.

I then spent the next couple of laps using techniques very similar to MX221 goon riding skills

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
whatsa matter, TOM? wasn't there enough good info on pit-slop?? :p

you know i'm just hassling ya, man.

wp.
v2