Mohawkman 2

Aug 18, 2012
Hello, I recently broke my foot in five places 3 in the mid foot area and 2 near the heal. I was wearing regular shoes which wasn't a good choice. I have been doing some research on MX boots and how they protect you. Do the boots really protect your whole foot and ankle against impacts. Because when I start riding again I pretty much expect to fall down every rider does.

The bones that I broke in the mid foot would be the 3 metatarsals if anyone was wondering. So if anyone has any advice on which boot I should choose please comment. I really want a boot that has excellent foot and ankle protection.

pearman

May 21, 2012
mohawk
I know there are tons of boots out there. I would say if you want a great boot you will have to pay some bucks to get them. I work at a dealership and we sell several different brands. What I see alot of our racers going to is the FOX Instinct boot, do a search online to read more about it. I belive this is one of the best out there. I have ridden in fox boots for a long time and I really like their boots & gloves.
this is just my opinion
hope this helps

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
I've worn Fox Comp boots but currently own and prefer Gaerne SG 10's. The skies the limit when it comes to boot choices. Research, try on and pick what fits your budget and style.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Up against regular shoes, just about any moto boot will be a vast improvement in protection. In this sport, it's about head, neck, knees and feet. Unfortunately, most newbs to the sport only look at the cost of buying the bike. Doing this thing right is expensive. Do not skimp. Or, yeah skimp and pay the price eventually, hopefully not permanently.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I used to ride in regular work boots. I was lucky enough to smash my ankle without breaking anything one time before I got MX boots. They don't make your ankles unbreakable but they certainly offer 10x the protection. They also act a ankle braces and shin guards to keep your feet from twisting around and guard your legs for rocks, logs and whatever else. I've never had really good boots, just some older Fox Formas, Thor and now Astars tech 3s. They've all done thier job.....

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
I personally prefer alpinestars (tech 8 or tech 10), but I think that any of the top shelf boots are going to provide similar protection and comfort. The extra price is worth it because they will last a long time and can usually be repaired if it becomes necessary. Just make sure you get a pair that fit you well. Your shoe size may be a little different than your boot size depending on the manufacturer. I have a pair of boots that are half a size too big. If i have to dab my foot very hard at all my foot slides forward and slams my big toe, which can hurt for weeks. So, definitely try them on. I agree with okie, don't try to skimp on your personal protection equipment. skimp on performance parts,bike protection parts, maintenance(not recommended), but never on personal protection.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I think one of the most important aspects of buying a boot is the fit. Different brands fit differently. The problem with that is you often cannot find a store carrying enough brands to really try many different ones on. Buying through mail is a crapshoot unless you are familiar with the brand. MX Action magazine has done boot comparisons before that indicate how they feel each boot is sized compared to a normal shoe size. But the bottom line is don't ride without boots. I've never had a really "good" pair of boots, but even the cheaper ones I've owned have saved me from at least one of two broken ankles or feet. Lost a bike on a berm once and it landed with the foot peg pinning my left ankle to the ground. Hurt a bit for a few days, but I'm convinced it would have been a whole lot worse without a boot on.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom