Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by Flying Scot
... While your riding Sunday I'll be at home celebrating my 13th wedding anniversary. :scream:  :laugh: ...
You mean that pretty little lady has stuck with you for that long!!!?? Even though she know you like to take a drag on a fag now and then?? :p :scream:

You two have a good time and we'll fill you in with all of our fun :)

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
 :)

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
well itsa late wet start so I doubt if I am going to get much riding in today but I will be there overnite for first thing in the morning

mx600

Jul 22, 2002
I didn't know anything about a formal ride since I don't frequent DRN all that much anymore, but living just 20 minutes away I end up in montrose all the time for a day of MX.

I had the pleasure of meeting RV6junkie and his crew today. Great people that I hope to see again sometime. For those who couldn't make, or didn't because of the rain, you missed out! Yeah, there was some rain in the morning but in the afternoon, the track started drying out and developed some pretty nice lines.

There was also the added exibition of another local kid flying the famed double, and doing no footers/1 handers off it. Crazy kids!

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Our group had a great time! Make no mistake; it was MUDDY. It had just stopped a 4-day rain when we got there and unloaded. We met-up with RM-Guy and his son, as well as JMICS. We walked the track (well about ¼ of it…it’s a looooong track) and fired-up the machines.

The mud was just too deep for the two little guys on their 70’s so they spent the day on the pee-wee track. They weren’t too happy about that because our home track is much more challenging that that, but they were less happy about the mud on the main track so they made the best of it.

Everyone else had a great time. Despite the mud I really liked that track. It has about every type of jump you could ever want, the berms are awesome, and it had nice natural elevation changes.

During the day other riders showed up. As MX600 mentioned, the locals who know that track put on quite a show. It was worth the drive just to watch them ride. And thanks again MX600 for the clutch perch, you saved my day!

I only get to ride on a track like that but once, maybe twice a year. It’s always a good time to ride in circles. I like the challenge of a track environment and I always (even at 40 years old with 30 years experience) learn something new about my riding and my bike. It’s also fun to try to follow the fast guys, if only for a few hundred feet.

Dave, let us know when you’re going back. Everyone in my group would like to try MX573 in dryer conditions

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
had a blast, slippery slimy mud made for great ice skating.

As always I learn something new,
one should never try and prep their bike when other things are clouding their mind.

new tires with 35psi in them still have no traction, and carb vent lines are there for a reason :o

well after sliding around taking soil samples with a ratty running bike I let the air out of the tire to a decent level , drained the water out of my carb and put some vent hoses on things where much better for me. I even attempted a few of the small doubles and table tops.

one of these times I am actually going to show up with a decently prepped bike and suprise myself

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
After all the freaking rain we had I wasn’t sure what to expect at the track. I loaded the bikes in the rain and wondered if anyone would show up. Junike’s “rain or shine” comment kept me going. After a quick stop at BK for some nourishment, I headed for the track. My son had to work late the night before so he planned on meeting me there.

Once at the track I expected to see gullies from the rain but was pleasantly surprised. While there were a few washed out areas, the track was in pretty good condition. The turns and low spot were deep water/mud holes but I figure after a few laps it would be fine. And if it hadn’t rained a couple of more times it probably would have been. But I’m jumping ahead.

I pull in to see jimcs talking to Ed, the owner. It turns out he had been there since 7:00 in the morning! I guess he got bored around 2 and decide to head out. I guess my fears about nobody showing up were totally unfounded. If I wasn’t convinced before I am now, Jim’s a lunatic…and I mean that in a good way :) I also like the way he changes tires. He just put a new wheel on that has new rubber on it.

After Jim and I walked the track, during which I pointed out all of the bypasses around jumps, we got back to the pits as my son was arriving. Hmmm, still no Junkie. It was close to 10:00 and I was questioning his “rain or shine, see you at 9” malarkey when Jim pointed out that it wasn’t really raining and the sun wasn’t quite shining either. Damn, he may have found a loop hole. We gave him the benefit of the doubt and sure enough, here they come. Turns out they got slowed up after having to drive through torrential downpours on the way up. I give them credit for not turning back. :eek: Junkie has a friend that’s a “casual rider” and happens to have a van and trailer that transport Junkie’s bike. How convenient ;)

Once we got out on the track it was definitely muddy. After 1 lap I was so pumped up that I had to rest. Going slow in mud sure does tire you out fast. The next lap out I upped the speed and did much better. The new mud tires on the front and rear helped too. I really like those Dunlop 773’s in the rear. They hook up very nicely. The mini’s had some problems in the mud and crashed in it more than a few times but no one got hurt and no tears were shed. The little troopers got right back up and kept riding.

Once the sun came out the track started to get real tacky. Too bad my body was shot by that point. I went through a little over a tank of gas and met my limit. I wasn’t looking forward to loading a muddy (heavy) bike and cleaning it when I got home so I bit the bullet and paid the $3 to use the track’s pressure washer. I’m glad I did. By the time I got my bikes clean there was a line behind me. Great minds think a like :)

Thanks to those that showed up. I bet that if it didn’t rain we would have had a few more. MX600, I never got a chance to meet you but I’m glad you came. I live in Chenango Bridge if you want to hook up and ride sometime. Email me.

I’m glad everyone got home OK. I was a bit worried about Jim. He left about ½ hour before me and when I left I saw him stopped a half mile down along the side of the road cinching down his bike. I looked for a puddle to splash him with but found none so I stopped to make sure he was OK. He hadn’t tightened the bike down tight enough and was just tightening it. The road is pretty bumpy and you certainly need the bike tied down tight.

I look forward to the next time. Let’s hope the rain Gods treat us better.

mx600

Jul 22, 2002
RM_guy, I'd love to hook up sometime for some riding. I'd email you, but I don't know your address and can't access the info or PM functions for some reason. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I usually go to montrose on sundays. It's the only place I go because I know someone will always be there and I usually travel alone. I used to ride at Jackson's Farm but don't go there much anymore. If you know of somewhere else around here that's got good riding, definitely let me know. I could definitely use some more riding buddies as my riding party is just me!

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I want to get up there when the conditions are better. Historically, I do much better on short term dates. How about 2 weekends from now?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by mx600
RM_guy, I'd love to hook up sometime for some riding. I'd email you, but I don't know your address and can't access the info or PM functions for some reason. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
You have to be a subscriber to send it. I can send you and email but you have to change your settings to allow it.
I usually go to montrose on sundays. It's the only place I go because I know someone will always be there and I usually travel alone. I used to ride at Jackson's Farm but don't go there much anymore. If you know of somewhere else around here that's got good riding, definitely let me know. I could definitely use some more riding buddies as my riding party is just me!
There really aren't a lot of places to ride around here that aren't private. I used to ride at Jacksons but the one track is all killer jumps and the smaller track is just not challenging enough.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Jim’s a lunatic

:eek: :)

Actually that is one the nicest things anybody has said to me all week :think:

There was also the added exibition of another local kid flying the famed double, and doing no footers/1 handers off it. Crazy kids!

heh I was parked between the kid on the yz and RMguy. I heard the kid<18yrs old> saying something about he must be getting old, swigging an energy drink and complaining about being sore. I look over at Dave and was commenting how I have socks older than him . Daves responce " We oughta make him ride an old Bultaco around the track and see what he does"

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
What impressed me most about "crazy Kid" is that his grilfriend washed his bike.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
It's a 70' double that's about 25' high. It's a BIG jump.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Ha! I do doubles that have been filled in in the middle...some call them tabletops :)

pagimeno

Aug 15, 2008
Hi, I'm new here. I'm looking for a place to take my son (12) with his CR80R to ride a little. He's a begginer but loves it, it's hard to find legal places to go. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Top Bottom