My 11 year old son ( What Motorcycle For Him)

rukkus

Feb 4, 2007
My son is going to be 11 very soon and has been riding a Honda CRF 70 for a year and has been learning to use a clutch on his friends Honda CRF 80. I'm looking for a motorcycle for him and found a Suzuki DRZ-125. He can sit on it and half of his feet touch the ground. He can hold it up pretty good. Again he's hasn't got the clutch shifting down really good yet. Do you think this will be OK to get him started and should I get him any type of learning material on using a clutch. He only rides trails now but some day would like to try a track out. I just want him to be safe and enjoy it. There's not a lot of places to ride here in Iowa. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Jim :ride: :ride:

rukkus

Feb 4, 2007
If your talking about a Suzuki RM85 the seat height is 33.5" and the DRZ-125 is only 30.5 which on that bike he can touch the ground and feels good. Again he's just starting to learn the clutch and I would like him to feel safe. I don't know a lot about motorcycles but trying to learn. I know he really likes the Kawasaki 65 Motocross Bike but I'm afraid that it's to fast for him and just learning he could hurt himself.
Jim

Nov 25, 2006
he could always ease into the 65, but i would go with the 125. Check out the tt-r, I have ridden both and personally prefer the yamaha. I have a 11 year old neighbor that rode a jr50 and a quad for a few years and bought a kx65. He does fine, after 4 months of riding he is no longer scared of it, actually he rips.

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
Hey, Jim.

My 10 yr. old rides a CRF70 as well. I believe that we will be upgrading next year after his 11th bday too....we started on the 70 because of the seat hight and autoclutch... I had him sit on the 80. I was certain that the 80 was too tall for him...combined with the clutch...this would have been recipe for a bad first experience.

I bought a dvd titled: MSF [motorcycle safety foundation] Dirt bike school. My boy was pretty bored with watching this, but it was helpful for me to set up some basic steps of skill attainment before I let him loose in the desert.

There is an exercise shown in the dvd showing how to "feel" the clutch grabbing as you straddle the bike paddling the bike along with your feet on the ground...as soon as the clutch starts to engage, the students would pull the clutch in again and start the process over.... pretty basic stuff in order to get the feel.

I was thinking that we will probably get the 80 next... Judging by how his pants are hovering over his anckles ready for a flood now, he will be tall enough for the "big" bike by the end of the summer...I'm not overly concerned about him being bored with the power of the 80... as that fits under the clause of TS... His father did not have a bike when he was 10!

Good luck... let us know what you choose and how it works...

Ken

cr85rb_rider

Uhhh...
Nov 28, 2006
If he can crank the 80 i'd get him on it, 11 year olds grow very fast, very fast, my neighbor is 11, rides a ttr 90, hes 5 foot flat, and he has no problem riding my 85, and its a big wheel, only one foot can touch the ground at a time but he likes the bike and probely will be buying it, your son will love the powerband of a 80, at his size and what hes been riding so far it will be an adrenalin rush, but not quite powerful enough to knock him off.

Id try 80 or 85 2 stroke or if you have enogugh money the 150r

rukkus

Feb 4, 2007
He can kick his friends Honda CRF 80 with no problem and stand pretty much flat footed on it but he still has to learn the clutch up and down. I what to get him a cycle that he can use on a track or trails. Also what a cycle he can use for a couple of years and then see if he really wants to ride the motocross track and if so get him a fast bike then. As a parent safely is number 1 in my book and then having fun. Again I don't know a lot about cycles so if anyone comes up with ideas please quote the brand and model. We have a hold on a Suzuki DRZ-125 for a week but I can change that. He told me he wanted a KS65 which he stands flat footed on that but without him understanding the shift better he could get hurt. He would out grow it in a year also. Again, I'm just a Master Electrician trying to make my son happy.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
How big is he? Is he an aggressive rider? At age 11 I think I'd avoid a 65 MX bike. He'll outgrow it in a year or two.

Look at the TT125R if he's a mellow trail rider. That type of bike will last forever on very little maintenance.

Look at the 85 MX bikes if he is jumping around on his 70 like it's a 16" bicycle. In the woods the taller tires on the 85 are a huge advantage over the tiny ones on a 65. But know that you'll have to replace the piston rings once in a while. Just depends on how and how often he rides. If the bike is a little too tall, it's pretty easy and 100% free to lower the bike 2-3 inches.

Many kids take to the clutch in a day or two and much earlier than age 11. Your son will probably do OK.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
There's no way around it I don't think. Kids grow out of stuff so quick...bikes, boots etc. My son went from a pw50 to a kx60, ttr125, kx80...rm125. All within a 8-9 year period. Sounds to me like the ttr125 may be just right for him right now (friendly power, low maintainance) but once he gets aggressive, he'll want to move on...(1-2 years?)

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
we went honda xr70 (learn to ride, age 8-9), to ttr125le (to learn clutch, age 10-11), to present rm85 (much more power and suspension than ttr, age 12). he still rides the ttr on trails in tennessee as they are not too friendly to a mx bike. you can likely adjust a few inches out of the RM85 if you want but the ttr is great for learning clutch/shift combo. i even like riding the ttr

rukkus

Feb 4, 2007
OK guys I believe you are thinking what I'm thinking. So If you had to pick a 2007 Suzuki DRZ-125 which he can touch the ground with both feet or a Yamaha TTR 125 which I don't know a lot about yet. Can I go wrong on either?
Thanks for your help everyone. Let me know.

rukkus

Feb 4, 2007
So do you guys suggestion the Suzuki DRZ-125 or the Yamaha TTR-125. I have a dealer here in Iowa that I'm getting a great deal on the 2007 Suzuki but the Yamaha Dealer won't move away from the list price at all.
Thanks!
Jim

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
He is too old, and likely too big to ride a 65, add to that the very peaky torque curve. The 85 MX bike would be a little smoother to ride, and a much better choice for the average (or above average) 11 yo. Personally, I think the 125 is your best option considering that he is coming of of the 70, and will be learning the clutch. The low end torque of the trail bikes is much better suited to learning clutchwork than any MX bike. He will also be able to do small jumps, up to around 30 feet. When he starts to really push the 125, then it will be time for an 85.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
I don't know why every one stresses over a clutch so much, they aren't that hard. I would do what frudaddy said.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
rukkus said:
So do you guys suggestion the Suzuki DRZ-125 or the Yamaha TTR-125. I have a dealer here in Iowa that I'm getting a great deal on the 2007 Suzuki but the Yamaha Dealer won't move away from the list price at all.
Thanks!
Jim

you should be able to get a deal on either of these bikes. i leveraged a sales offer from out of town (looked on cycle trader web site) with the local dealer and got the local dealer to give me the same out the door price and that was the year the ttr125le was play bike of the year. (i have done this with all my bikes) if others say the suzukie and yamaha are the same - then pick by dealer/service/price. i have no experience with the drz125.

rukkus

Feb 4, 2007
Thanks everyone. We are going with the TT-R 125E. He sat on one and his feet are on the ground on both sides. He also had a gaint smile on his face. I knew this was the one he wanted.
Jim :ride: :rotfl:

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Good pick the clutch on that bike is smooth and easy to use. I like that clutch better than my own because mine jerks a bit, it probably needs some ajusting.

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
rukkus said:
Thanks everyone. We are going with the TT-R 125E. He sat on one and his feet are on the ground on both sides. He also had a gaint smile on his face. I knew this was the one he wanted.
Jim :ride: :rotfl:
Gets tough being a dad... this post is what it's all about (at least until they turn 16). Don't get to hung up on the feet on the ground thing, truth be known it's somewhat easier to ride a bike whereas only your toes can touch... it's a balance thing. You've mentioned safety a couple of times, I feel your concern, bruises/broken bones and blood are part of the sport thus my only suggestion is to invest in the best gear as he gets more aggressive... and don't let him tell you he doesn't want knee pads... first time he spills and his knee/shin catch a peg can be ugly. Your bike choice was great, downside is once he starts getting comfortable you might wind up on the 85 or 125 2 stroke. He and you will both know when the time is right.

Oskar

Nov 30, 2001
The great thing about a TTR is that you can make it taller and faster. The parts you can get on E*** pretty cheap and the labor is a piece of cake. My 12 yo rides a ttr125le and he loves it on the trails. I am 5'8 and sometimes I like to play on it too, due to it's light weight and easy handling.

Top Bottom