calamari racer

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2001
I finally get to go to DW and I never got out of Texas. On Saturday I was packed up and heading out pulling a 23ft toyhauler and driving a '04 Expedition. I planned to stop in Tyler, Tx to drop off the dog with a cousin and spend the night. I go through a little town called Jacksonville with only 25 miles to Tyler. This is where everything goes bad. At a speed of only 55-60mph, I notice the trailer start oscillating. It became worse so I slowed down, which made it worse. Suddenly, it started swaying back and forth violently and then jacknifed. When this happened, it pulled the Expedition around and I rolled completely over and back upright. If I had not been wearing a seat belt, I would have been thrown out. Even wearing a seatbelt, my arm went out the window and hit the pavement and my head too. The dog jumped out and ran away from the suv and hid under a car that had stopped on the side of the road. Fortunately, he only had a small nick on his leg. I crawled out through the window and was met by several good samaritans that stopped to help. I ended up in the emergency room and checked out with 5 staples in my head and 2 stitches in my arm. I only got 2 stitches because the rest of the wounds were too torn up to stitch, so they wrapped it. The trailer and the Expedition was totalled. I got my stitches and staples out today and I'm healing up pretty well. Hopefully, I can make it all the way to DW next year. I was really looking forward to meeting everybody. One thing is for sure. My trailer pulling days are over with.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Holy crap! Glad to hear that you are OK. Sounds like a scary ride for sure. What caused the trailer to start swapping? Did you have stabilizers on the hitch?

calamari racer

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2001
No stabilizers. Never had a problem before. I've taken it to California and Colorado and other places. They think a tire might have blown or deflated. The rollover happen so fast that it was over with before I knew what happened. The people that have seen the pictures say that I'm lucky to be alive. I'll take their word for it. I had nightmares for several days, but they've stopped. The ambulance guys were cool. They wanted to put me on a stretcher and take me to the emergency room, but I told them "I not leaving my dog". So, they said "no problem" and put the dog in the ambulance with me. When we got to the hospital, they tied him up to a railing outside the emergency room and the nurses checked on him until my cousin got there.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the insurance company. YZ165

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
WOW....sorry to hear about this. Glad you and the dog will be ok. Sounds like a scary deal for sure.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Sorry to hear about the troubles. Glad you and pooch are safe. Too bad about the trailer and vehicle. I hate to hear about things like this at anytime, especially someone coming to DW. Best of luck to you.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Wow, really sorry to hear it! I've lost a trailer before (without such dramitic results) it's not fun.
Heal-up quick and hopefully we'll see you next year.

B

biglou

:ohmy: Wow! Glad you're ok, and the pooch, too. I remember someone mentioning that you were supposed to be there while I was mooching food at Camp Tejas.

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Dang, not good news, hang in there, and we will see you @ DW05.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Woah...I'm sorry to hear about this. Heal up quick, you and the doggy, and see you next year!

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
sorry to here this! You missed a great week. but there is always next year. Glad everyone is ok, how about the bike?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Wow, and I thought I had a crappy ride! I hope you and the dog are doing better soon. If it makes you feel any better, we're all already planning for DW05!

Last edited:

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
wow... what a traumatic event.... good luck in your recovery.

is the trailer single axle? did you put too much weight toward the rear, in back of the axle perhaps?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Holy crap - sorry to hear about your crash. Scary stuff! Glad you and the dog are okay. You can replace trucks and trailers but you can't replace people. Look forward to meeting you at DW05! Heal up fast!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Man, that really sucks. We're glad to hear that you faired out well, sounds like the injuries could have been worse. Sorry you missed the week though, hope you make it next year for sure!

calamari racer

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2001
Thanks for the replies. The bikes came out fairly well. My 250f just had a scratched up rear fender and the DRZ had a torn seat, broken turn signal and a slightly bent radiator. The trailer insurance fell under my homeowners insurance and the contents are only covered if the trailer is hit by another vehicle. Nice little loophole for the insurance company. I was suprised at how many people stopped to help. I wish I could find them and thank them. There were at least 4 people trying to coax my dog out from under a Ford Exporer. I finally had to go get him myself because he was pretty terrified. One lady tried to get me to sit down in her Lexus, but I was bleeding real bad and already covered with blood. I told her thanks, but she would get blood all over her seat and carpet and wouldn't be able to get it out. She just said "I don't care, you're hurt pretty bad". I'm very thankful that my wife and our 6mo old baby weren't with me.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Wow, glad to hear you and the pooch are OK. Insurance companies and their loopholes suck.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
WOW! Glad to here life will return to normal!! I was coming back from N. Mexico with out 26' when a cross wind hit HARD, if not for the bars it would have rolled, very scary!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Well ... bad answer to the question of the week in my mind. I thought maybe you got hit by the hurricane. In a way I guess you did.

Glad you and your dog survived.

I ride down that way with some fellows from the Baytown area. I'll give you a shout the next time I am in the area.

We will hold your spot in CAmp Tejas open for DW '05!

Top Bottom