dirt.rider1

May 23, 2012
hello all,
I recently bought a 1987 suzuki rm80 for $100. The reason it was so cheap is because the guy I bought it from burnt a hole through the piston since there was a air leak throught the carb boot. I now installed a new wiseco piston kit and a new spark plug in it. The bike now has a fat blue spark, good compression, and the plug has a slight smell of gas, but it still wont start! :(

Any info on how to get this thing running again, will be greatly apperciated. :nod:

Thanks

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Just throwing out ideas....

Clogged exhaust system?

Bad reeds (cracked or warped reeds can make a bike near impossible to start)?

Sheared flyhweel key (if the flywheel has shifted your spark will come at the wrong time)

Piston installed backwards (if there was an arrow, it points forward).

Bad technique starting? Some bikes are just finicky cold starters. Here is a method that usually works: Turn the gas and choke on. Lay the bike on its side for like 10 seconds - you want lots of gas dripping out all the overflow tubes. Pick it up and GENTLY move the kicstarter through a few times to prime the cylinder. Using the kickstarter, find top dead center by feeling for the compression - it will get more and more and then ease up. You are then at TDC. Return kicker to top. Open throttle just a little (no more than 1/8). KICK AS HARD AS YOU CAN. If no go, find TDC and kick again.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom