My toy progress thread - Rich

Discussion in 'Fabrication, Welding, Machining' started by Rich Rohrich, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Rich Rohrich

Rich Rohrich BioHazard

Media:
    Featured Threads:
    I'm guessing my project will progress more slowly than the rest.

First steps include mocking up a crossover exhaust system with cardboard templates and flex tubing that terminates on the front passengers side of the engine compartment. I'll end up with a pair of 2.5" tubes that will merge into a T4 turbo flange.

Once I have a basic mock up I have to buy a bunch of 16 gauge stainless bends ($$$) and then fashion them into something that resembles my model.

Before all that I needed a way to properly cut 16g stainless so I bought a Milwaukee Porta-Bandsaw. Great tool but using it in the conventional way it's not the best way to make accurate 90 degree from the centerline axis cuts on a u-shaped hunk of tubing. So I made up a little stainless steel table setup for the porta-band and stood it on end and used it like a proper standup bandsaw. I tested it holding the whole thing in a vice, and proved the concept (worked great) so now I can finish up making the legs for the table-top so it can stand on it's own.

I also have to learn how to properly cut and and make perfect fit ups with the tubing, back purge the tubing and weld the stainless steel and in general learn a lot about welding tubing which so far is proving to be a lot tougher than it looks. No wonder union pipe fitters make so much.

I hope to be ordering the turbo, the wastegate and the blow off valve in the next couple of weeks.

Attached Files:

:
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  2. Rich Rohrich

Rich Rohrich BioHazard

Media:
    Featured Threads:
    A few more pics from the last week or so.

About $230 worth of stainless tubing and an early attempt at fusion welding a good solid pipe fit up.

Terry if you are playing along at home can you tell me if that weld looks like it has too much undercut for use in an exhaust system? I'd like to fusion weld the joints as much as possible but I'm unfamiliar with exactly how much undercut is permissible in the weld on a stainless tube. It's 304L .065" wall tubing.

Attached Files:

3. High Lord Gomer

High Lord Gomer Poked with Sticks

I'm not Terry, but I don't think your underbite will have much effect on your exhaust, unless you don't properly chew your nuts.
  4. Patman

Patman Pantless Wonder

So Rich why would you not want to have a raised bead? Or is that pic from the inside?
  5. Rich Rohrich

Rich Rohrich BioHazard

Media:
    Featured Threads:
    I'll make a note of that HLG. ;)
  6. Ol'89r

Ol'89r Super Power AssClown

And don't you ever forget it either Bubba. ;) :rotfl:

Rich.

Look at the inside of the pipe. Too much undercut will give you slag or 'dingleballs' on the inside. ( I said dingleballs, now Gomer is really excited.) :yikes:

The secret to welding SS tubing or any tubing is in the fit-up. Taking the time to make sure there are no gaps in the area to be welded is crucial to a clean weld. I use a belt sander to finish the cut-off surfaces to make sure both surfaces fit tight together without gaps. Making a jig to press the two surfaces 'tightly' together will also help.

Keep your temp low. It doesn't take much heat to fusion weld SS. Also, use small diameter rod anywhere you have to add rod. That helps to keep the heat low.

Your weld looks good from here.
  7. Rich Rohrich

Rich Rohrich BioHazard

Media:
    Featured Threads:
    Thanks Terry. I've been cutting up the same couple of tubes over and over and then welding them back together. The couple of times I tacked with pressure on the tubes to hold them tight seemed to help. I have a couple of ideas for clamping jigs, but I may just break down and buy a set of these clamps.

[​IMG]

http://www.vansantent.com/welding_accessories/ice_clamps.htm
  8. Tony Eeds

Tony Eeds Welcome Wagon N. Texas SP

Gomer could have some fun with those ...
  9. High Lord Gomer

High Lord Gomer Poked with Sticks

Do those come in my size?!?

Terry, I would have expected you to know that a properly oversized reamer will get rid of the dingleballs.
  10. Ol'89r

I just don't know anybody that has a properly oversized reamer. :whoa: :nener: :moon: <--------Oops. I shouldn't have shown him that. :laugh:
  11. Offroadr

Offroadr Ready to bang some trees!

Keep it up Rich, you may find yourself a new career like Mike Moran did! Then you can build something like this. :whoa: [​IMG]
  12. Rich Rohrich

Rich Rohrich BioHazard

Media:
    Featured Threads:
    ... some more parts showed up this week so it's moving along slowly but surely.

SS flex tube to help control vibration between the long drivers side to passenger side exhaust crossover and the merge collector going into the turbo and some super trick SS vband clamps and flanges to hold it all together. These are the good vbands with the interlocking grooves on the flange faces and proper US made (Illinois to be exact) clamps , not the shiddy ebay chinese POS knockoffs. :)

I think I also found the official smiley mascot for these "My Project" threads .

Attached Files:

13. Tony Eeds

[​IMG] is a good one.

I also like [​IMG]

Bob should add them

[​IMG]
  14. Ol'89r

That smiley is too cool Rich. :cool: Those clamps are pretty neat too.
  15. Rich Rohrich

Rich Rohrich BioHazard

Media:
    Featured Threads:
    I still have a whole lot to learn, but things are starting to get less ugly. If I keep progressing I may actually be competent before I die. :whoa: .

The tip about obsessing over the fit up made all the difference. Thanks Terry! :cool:

Attached Files:

16. Tony Eeds

Those look good Rich

I have always heard the bead should look like a row of dimes and those welds do!
  17. TwinSpar

TwinSpar AssClown WannaBe N. Texas SP

Stacking dimes. Nice work Rich! What welder are you using?
  18. Rich Rohrich

Rich Rohrich BioHazard

Media:
    Featured Threads:
    Twinny - It's a Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG machine running on 110v house current. It's pretty amazing, but I think it's Lou's graphics that really make it sing.

Attached Files:

19. TwinSpar

TwinSpar AssClown WannaBe N. Texas SP

A welder is on my list for must haves. Well... there's a lot of tools on the list but a welder always grabs my attention more than most. I need a real shop for all my list of tool wants.... and a job so I can start scratching things off the list and get moving on some fab work. I found a great thread on Fiber/Carbon Fiber fabbing... Now I want a vacuum so I can design a new tail that isn't so fat. LOL

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=145975

It's a ton of reading but damn... he shows some technique and creativity.
  20. Rich Rohrich

Rich Rohrich BioHazard

Media:
    Featured Threads:
    I played with carbon fiber a few years back and it's really cool. The EAA guys have been doing it and sharing info for years so there is a wealth of info out there. For me it just didn't have the soul of metal so I lost interest fairly quickly. I guess I'm just a caveman at heart who prefers banging on hunks of metal to make parts. :whoa:

There is something incredibly satisfying about making stuff for a project regardless of the material. :cool:

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=173504&page=1&pp=10