Corson

Aug 3, 2009
I just got a used cr85 about a month ago, It had $1000 put into right before i bought it, most of it engine work. I was recently riding and when I would gear down to go around a big puddle or something it would start to bog, and eventually bog out and wouldn't start back up, Ill also noticed some oil leaking out of both sides of my exhaust. When I try and jump start it will get going a little but its just like a low sound and then it dies. I try and ride the bike hard because i know its not meant to be a cruise around bike.

Anyway I think maybe I need a new spark plug, Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Corson

Aug 3, 2009
Yeah I took the plug out and cleaned it and everything, and put it back in and the bike fired up for a few seconds then died, when i took it back out it had oil all over it again. And like i said in my first post I have oil coming out of both sides of my exhaust, seems to me that all that oil is the problem I just dont know how to fix it.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
read up on rejetting and get a NEW plug

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You can't fix a jetting issue with a premix ratio change. Run that bike some place around 16:1 to 32:1 and jet it properly for the ratio you choose then you will be fine. Messing with the mix is only a band-aid "solution".

scottiedawg66

Sep 26, 2006
I have had too rich of an oil:gas ratio give me trouble fouling plugs, and based on his description of sludge i figured it was a good thing to ask. I agree once he is ready to jet it you want to decide on your ratio and stick with it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Spooge.

CR85's are known droolers at the cylinder spigot. Get it running correctly and then pull the expansion chamber (pipe) and clean it out, replace the OEM seal with a new one and perhaps a smear of copper Permatex.

Top Bottom