Need help replacing crank seals and clutch...

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Hey guys I am ordering new crank seals for my 01 RM 250 and a clutch kit since I'm going to have to remove the old clutch anyways. Is the whole side clutch cover going to have to come off or can I just take the smaller clutch cover off? I'm trying to figure out if I will need both gaskets or what not. I'm not sure what to expect as I haven't done this before and not sure exactly what l has to be removed to pull the seal out on the wet side and also install the new clutch kit. I'm also putting in a new wiseco top end while i'm at it, but that I can easily do. Any good writeups or advice to help me is greatly appreciated, thanks.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Oh I'd also like to include a list of everything im ordering incase I'm forgetting any seals etc...

-wiseco top end
-top end gaskets
-crankshaft seals
-Driven complete clutch kit
-clutch side crankcase gasket
-kick start seal

Trying to think if there are any more parts I need, don't want to forget anything to slow the repair but am also on a budget. Thanks, you guys have always been a great help!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
You're going to have to remove the side cover to get to the seal.. You won't be able to get to that from the clutch cover, as you have to pull the primary gear from the crank to get the seal off and back on.

Might consider the water pump seals while you are in there..

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Went ahead and ordered a new kick start seal, water pump seal, and gasket as well. I've heard just drill a hole in the center of the crank seal very carefully and use something to try and hook then pull the seal out without scratching the crankshaft.
I have a suzuki repair manual, but it doesn't cover any of this stuff and I don't want
to mess my crankshaft up trying to get the seal in or out. Do I grease the lip of the seal as well, someone said don't because it will fall out of place, but I heard to put some oil on the actual rubber part of the seal itself. Also on the wiseco piston it says to drill two oiling holes on the exhaust side, is this really needed?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
1998RM250 said:
Went ahead and ordered a new kick start seal, water pump seal, and gasket as well. I've heard just drill a hole in the center of the crank seal very carefully and use something to try and hook then pull the seal out without scratching the crankshaft.
I have a suzuki repair manual, but it doesn't cover any of this stuff and I don't want
to mess my crankshaft up trying to get the seal in or out. Do I grease the lip of the seal as well, someone said don't because it will fall out of place, but I heard to put some oil on the actual rubber part of the seal itself. Also on the wiseco piston it says to drill two oiling holes on the exhaust side, is this really needed?

Lube the seal.. I always lube my seals, all of them by the way, with Pro Circuit Seal Grease.. it's a light weight red grease.

The hole and screw method should work, just be careful and don't rush the job.

As for the piston, just before you put the ring on, place it on the rod with the wrist pin, but don't put on the clip just yet.

Then lower the cylinder onto the piston, make sure the piston is all the way at the top of the stroke and you can see it thru the exhaust port.

Then make a mark on each side of the exhaust bridge with a sharpy..

Then take the piston back out, and drill your holes.. The sharpy marks will show you where the bridge lines up on the piston.

Drill a couple 1/8th inch holes between those marks, one above the other about 1/2 an inch apart right about the level of the wrist pin.

This allows some of the lube from your premix to reach the bridge to keep it cool, and prevent it from wearing out the piston..

Should you do it, yes, absolutely. I didn't on the last top end on my 125 and now wish I had..

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
oh okay, I drilled the holes on my last wiseco piston years ago and it seized up on me for some reason on my old bike. Maybe the holes weren't perfectly aligned? I'm just afraid I'll mess this one up too by drilling the holes and they aren't exactly perfect. Not a whole lot of info I found on replacing crank seals so sorry for all the questions, but maybe in the future it will help someone out as well.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
If you mark the piston like I said, you'll hit the right spots..

Just make sure you put the holes in the middle between the lines..

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom