Need help with YZ80 shift problems

RAKxp

Dec 4, 2006
Hey guys,
I just got done installing a '96 YZ80 engine into my YSR50 but it has problems shifting. The bike will go into first but will not go into 2nd or above. I took the side cover and clutch assembly off to get to the shift shaft.

Everything looked fine but it seems there is not enough movement to physically turn the drum. I removed the shift shaft and I can spin the drum by hand with the rear tire spinning. It then gets into all 6 gears quite easily.

I'm thinking it has to be the shift shaft but it doesn't look bent. Here is the pic of the assembly. Maybe you guys can spot something I'm missing. Thanks for the help!

1z50qd2.jpg

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
yes right off the bat you can see someone welded the shift shaft. the normal weld does not look like that. apparently it broke the weld before. you can tell by the discoloration of both the shift shaft and shift drum.
It looks like it should work though. i'd verify the shifter was not hitting the footpeg. this will keep you from getting in to gear. I've seen a few bikes with loose shift levers that would not engage a gear due to hitting the peg. If that is all good I'd snag a new shift shaft and see how it works. At least eliminate that from the equation. If you can roll through the gears at least you know the problem is not inside the trans.

jschiller

Mar 5, 2007
Agree wuth Jasle, that shaft and the shift mechnism have to be 100% lined up otherwise the drum inside the gearbox will not go far enough in one direction and too far in the other - get a manual, or go to a dealer and compare parts

RAKxp

Dec 4, 2006
Thanks for the info. I got a new shaft coming my way. I made sure the shifter wasn't hitting or binding or anything.

Top Bottom