yz_387

Jun 6, 2001
so the carbon band thickness is a result of all of the jets? I thought you said that this was how you determine the condition of the main jet.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by yz_387
so the carbon band thickness is a result of all of the jets? I thought you said that this was how you determine the condition of the main jet.

It is how you read the mainjet, but if you are riding around at 1/3 throttle opening with a needle that is too rich and the engine never sees WOT then the reading you get will only be for the circuit it's running on. Carbon collects when the combustion is incomplete regardless of the circuit. The ring is used to read the mainjet because WOT is the only time you can be sure you are getting the same reading (i.e. throttle opening) on the plug. Given the tapers of needles there is no consistent way to read 1/4 1/2 or 3/4 throttle on the insulator base.

Last edited:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Now all I have to do is buy one of those plug viewers or get a new Hack saw balde.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Mike,
MSC Supply has a decent viewer. It is smaller than the premium models that Rich has, but works well.
www.mscdirect.com
10x Illuminated Coddington Magnifier (Bausch & Lomb)
#PN06546840 on sale now for $24.99

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Jaybird
Mike,
MSC Supply has a decent viewer. It is smaller than the premium models that Rich has, but works well.

I have one of those as well. They are useful for looking at the ground strap and the nose of the insulator but they won't allow you to get a good look down to the base of the insulator. Save yourself some money and buy the correct tool from the outset. :D

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
Ive learned a lot from this thread, so I decided to sacrifice a BR8ES for the sake of jetting and this is what it looked like. One question I have, how long does it take to get the ring built up? I cut this plug open after about 2 hours of hard riding.
26367plug1.jpg

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
You can usually see a fairly distinctive ring in a single hard pass down the drag strip (9-10 seconds of running). A couple of minutes of hard running will give you a pretty good idea of what's going on.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
If your jetting is spot on. Will the ring "grow" over time or stay the same size. Also if the bike is a little rich like yz387's plug, will the ring continue to grow until the tip is covered in black?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Once you have enough time to get a good reading if the conditions stay the same the ring will tend to stay the same. The problem is most people tend to ride at something other than WOT and weather has a way of changing over time so the conditions rarely stay the same for very long.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Then one can assume that those who practice "predictive jetting", (taking into account all known variables and jetting by chart as a result of measurables) are a step ahead of the game and can, in fact, keep that lil bugger close to the same size, yes?

:confused:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Then one can assume that those who practice "predictive jetting", (taking into account all known variables and jetting by chart as a result of measurables) are a step ahead of the game and can, in fact, keep that lil bugger close to the same size, yes?

I've never seen a "generic" chart that works for all situations or even particularly well in general, but over time good note taking and regular measurement of known variables will allow you to build a bike specific chart of your own. Once you have a baseline and have an understanding of how atmospheric changes impact those baseline settings you should be able to easily make changes without ever pulling a plug.

You'll almost never see Eric Gorr pull a plug on one of his rider's bikes. That's not an coincidence. :D

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by whyz
So would Dave's plug be too rich also?

That would depend a lot on what type of riding he is doing.

Kaw_Boy_5

Apr 18, 2001
If this is the correct way to read for the main jet what is the correct way for the other circuits? I was going on the assumtion that running at 1/4 throttle for a bit and the checking the plug was good for a pilot test but you seem to say it is not. Thanks

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Kaw_Boy_5
If this is the correct way to read for the main jet what is the correct way for the other circuits?

By feel or with a wideband oxygen sensor connected to a data acquisition system that also reads throttle position.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
As always, you are most enlightening, Mr.
Thank you.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Mr.

Mister™ is a registered trademark of billywho™. All rights reserved. Portions ©2002, billywho™. Unauthorized use is a no-no.

Careful Jaybird or BillyWho will send the black helicopters to pay you a visit :scream:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I think he's got his infringement lawyers looking at it now. I only used said term once before and it was immediately noticed.
I agree, a man needs to be careful! :eek:

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
So with Dave's plug..
Do you think that ridin trails and MX,that this plug would be too rich?,
And can you tell by the look of the plug what type of riding the plug was being introduced to?? (just an opinion please) :silly:

Thank You.

Top Bottom