Need some help finding the right bike for my son.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
I am startng to look for a starter bike for my son`s 7th b-day. The problem I have run into is that he is a little too tall for some of the entry level 50`s. What I am looking for is a bike that will fit him for at least two to three years. It also needs to be tame enough power wise for him to handle. I have until the end of May so I do have some time to look. Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Junkie

Jun 28, 2001
I did the PW80 for my son when he was 7. It's a great starter bike and has an automatic three speed tranny(no clutch) I gotta tell ya though, I dont think he'll stay on it for 2 to 3 years. Not that I think he'll out grow it size wize, but I think he may get board with it, mine did, in 6 months.
If he really likes the thought of having a bike and likes to go fast I would try to find one used unless you like to spend money, he'll out grow his first bike fast.
Do you have, or do you plan on getting one for yourself? That makes it all that much better.

My son went from a PW to a KX60 in 6 months and LOVES it.

Have fun!

OLD-N-SLOW

Nov 21, 2000
Buy him a kx60-65 or ktm 65. anything else and they will out grow it fast.
Kids learn quickly!! Mine started on a kx60 when he was seven and without any previous motorcycle experence caught on , no problem. Not that he's that bright, thats just comman with young kids.
They can putt around all day without getting on the pipe and the 60 wont care. Good luck
Steve

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
Some thoughts and more questions

I am also trying to pick a bike for my 7 year old. His only riding experience so far is a 4.5 hr lesson. The lesson was on an XR 70. He loved it and he did really well. He even changed gears a couple of times (the XR has an auto clutch). I'll bum a ride or two more on the XR before I get him his own bike.

The bikes I've looked at the XR 70, PW 80, TTR 90, KLX 110 and KX 60/65.

The Kawasaki's are leading b/c dad rides green. The KLX 110 is a pretty slick bike; if you opt to go for an auto clutch, you should definately consider it.

I would like to hear people's thoughts and experiences with putting a kid right on a bike with a clutch. I can definately see a kid getting bored quickly with an auto clutch. However, I can also see a kid having such a hard time trying to master a clutch that he gets frustrated (or--worse--hurt). Also, if I get my kid a KX 60 or 65, will the powerband give him problems (e.g., flipping over due to a hard mid-range hit). Finally, how do the KX 60 or KX 65 work as trail bikes?

I'm sorry to post more questions to the original message--hopefully any responses will help Splatt as well.

EBOD

I am wondering whether it's too much to throw him on a bike with a clutch is too much.

Junkie

Jun 28, 2001
As far as the clutch thing, my son rode another kids(friend from the track) at the track and loved it. I'm not to sure about starting him off on a clutch though. Starting off on the PW was the way to go for us, he just got board with it after he test rode a clutch bike.
I feel like the sooner you get them on a "real" bike the better, a KX60 or 65 is an awsome little bike. They catch on a lot better than we think, we dont give them enough credit.
They get used to the powerband too.
We ride the trails all the time and the KX60 does a killer job, it'll putt around when we wants it to and it'll flat out fly when he wants.

Can I make a suggestion though? If you, and your son dont ride together, you will never know the feeling, its something!

I hope he will take me ridding someday.

OLD-N-SLOW

Nov 21, 2000
Dont worry about the clutch!!! They will figure it out quick!!
After one day it will be old hat to them. With the kx, they will have the bike for years and you wont have to worry about upgrading for a while.
It will putt around all day!!! Plus scream when they are ready.
Besides you will have it easy, as they are beer bikes.
Maintanance:clean the air filter and drink beer.:)

KTMBell

May 14, 2001
My experience is the same for my son. He started on a PW 80 and loved it. We went camping and riding in Michigan, and he did better on the trails than some of those young bucks on 125's. It was great on the trails...just not much power. The clutch thing wasn't as big a deal (getting bored with) as much as the limitations of the bike itself. After a few months on it he was ready to motocross, which it is not built for. We next moved to a KX60 which he rode all this past summer...and he loved it. We just bought a used beater and it still runs great. We're currently looking at 80's/85's now, and my delima is whether to sell the 60 or keep it for my younger. As a word of caution...the 60 has very little on the low end, but when it hits in the middle...it hits hard. Once my son figured out how to control that power he loved it.
The only thing he won't outgrow quickly is a KX65 or KTM65.
The new Kawsaki 110 looks like a good bike, but you may spend more than you want. Unless you buy a KX65 or KTM

KTMdude911

Dec 20, 2001
All of the little Kawasaki and ktm bikes are great and he it will last him a while.I think you wouldn't have to worry about it having a clutch as long as you give him time to get used to it before some real riding.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Have to agree with Old-N-Slow - they figure the clutch out fast.

My son started on a 74MR50 at age 4 1/2. One day and he was good to go with the clutch. He moved to a KX60 at age 6 and rode some gnarly trails on it. His dad gave him an 01CR80E last year - at age 9 and after we put smaller rims & tires on it so he could almost touch with one foot, he was back on the trails.

The KX60 was fine for him on the trails. He rarely stalled or fouled plugs and was always showing the older kids on the XR100's how to tackle the tougher trails. But then, when mom drags you up the trails on an MR50 at age 5, you get used to them.

My daughter started at age 5 on an auto tranny LEM because she didn't have the physical strength he had at 4 1/2. She's moving to the KX60 or the MR50 this spring (depending upon how much she grows) so she can learn to use the clutch.

I prefer to have the kid start out with a clutch, they are going to need the skill on the trails eventually.

drtbikesrule

Nov 30, 2001
i would recommend the Honda XR 80 or 100
this bike is vbery tame and has a really smooth engine.. this bike will last him for awhile too depending on how much more power he wants:)

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Thanks for the input it was very useful . I think what I`ll do is borrow the XL75 my brother in law has to let him learn on for right now . As for your question Junkie about me riding ,I already ride myself and love it and would really like to be able share my enjoyment with my son and hopefully be able to share it with my daughter as well in few years. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I started my boy on a JR50 when he was five, and at 7 he is now getting too big for the bike, although he loves the bike and has a lot of fun on it. I am considering getting him the KTM50 which is taller, and also has auto clutch. Auto clutch is the way to go for beginners, for the first year or two, you can't beat just starting up and going, clutch and gears come later. My son has no problem with kicking the JR back into gear when he needs to, now to get him onto a bigger bike. I would like to get him a 3 speed with auto clutch, but may consider a bike with a clutch and gears.

What are the opinions on the JR80 (old DS80), I hear these are great trail bikes and are lots of fun. ?

Alan

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
My son had a DS80 for awhile and it was a pretty tame ride for him on the trails.

It is a mellow little bike with decent power. The suspension was somewhat lacking for jumps but seemed fine for trailriding. Makes a good trailbike unless the kid is into jumping and rapping the bike out. My son preferred the KX60 so we sold the DS to a guy for his 9 year old daughter and she seems to do very well on it.

Last edited:

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
Buy your kid a KTM65 or KX65. Although the XR/KLX series are more mellow and probably easier to ride I think that he will soon master a trail bike. I have two sons, 6 and 4, that each started out on a JR50 at the age of four. The 6yr old has been on a KX65 all of this year after two years on the JR. The 4yr old is already too big for the JR. At seven he should easily fit a KX. At first I lowered the fork tubes and set pre-sag on the rear as soft as possible. This wat he could pretty easily get one foot on the ground. Now he touch with both. Either way you go your kids wins. Good Luck.
  1. 2001 RM250
  2. 1998 HD FATBOY
  3. 2000 KX65
  4. 1999 JR50
  5. 1997 CR80RBT
    [/list=1]

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
Can you get spark arrestors for any the KX 60/65 and/or for the KTM 65SX?

Also, can you tame the hit on any of the bikes with a pipe and/or jetting changes?

At the end of the day, the bike will be used 90% for trail riding and only 10% on a motocross track (and then, not for racing).

EBOD

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
Do not know about spark arresters. But I would wager that after a few months your kid will want to spend more time on the MX track. Getting air is contagious. My 6yr old is dying to do some wheelies!! Next come the DOUBLES!! :p

dog

Oct 4, 2000
RE: Spark Arrestors

Yes, to both questions. I just put an FMF Turbine Core II spark arrestor/silencer and FMF Fatty pipe on my sons KX 65. It makes it forest legal and broadens and smooths the power band. It is expensive though. Close to $400 for the pipe/ silencer.

The bummer is that the FMF Spark arrestor doesn't fit the stock pipe, only the FMF pipe. I really only wanted the SA to be legal in the forest, but had to get the pipe. The pipe did help the power delivery as well. It is not slow, but smoother and broad power. These make it better for the trails.

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
My only comment is buy used. There are tons of small bikes for sale because kids grow so fast. Whatever you buy will be for sale in a couple of years.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
I appreciate all the help everyone has given. I ran into a little snag and won`t be able get him one this year I had to get a new rig so I could get to work everyday.

Top Bottom