1. Thanks for visiting The Forums at DirtRider.Net. Please join us and gain access to advanced search functions and other features that will make the most of your time here.[ Do it! ]

New Chain installation

Discussion in 'Dirt Bike Mods & Maintenance' started by MikeT, Feb 20, 2017.

1. MikeT

MikeT Subscriber

I have been out of it for a while now.... long story but am doing some maintenance on my bike before I take it out in the next few weeks. One of the things I am doing is putting on a new chain and sprockets. Since they ship the chains covered in the gooey grease..... I just forgot, do I clean this stuff off before my first ride or leave it on there? Contact cleaner, wipe it with gas??

Please get me back up to speed. Thanks!

2. truespode

truespode Wheelie King
    Staff Member

I guess the grease could attract a lot of dirt so if you feel better about it you can wipe it with a dry rag to get any excess off.

Ivan

3. MikeT

MikeT Subscriber

Thanks Ivan, that is kind of what I was thinking. Hope you've been good. I'm going to actually try to ride some this spring/summer. You still in SC?

4. truespode

truespode Wheelie King
    Staff Member

Still in SC but not riding much. Doing some pistol competitions with James and Gomer but sold the bike a few years ago.

Couldn't justify the time away to go riding now that I have a daughter. My wife was supportive but I didn't like driving 2-3 hours one way, ride for a few hours, drive back, clean and then basically have done nothing with the family.

Once she is a little older I want to get back into it... probably more DS stuff. I like the new WR250 DS bikes. Not great for highway but I don't plan on doing any of that.

Ivan

5. MikeT

MikeT Subscriber

Same here except I never sold my bike. Still have my 2000 YZ. I know the whole 3 hours prep, 2 hours ride 3 hours back clean up and then nothing with the family. I hate that riding areas are so far away.