New clutch burned out after 1 ride? HELP!

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
Guys,
In an attempt to fix a dragging clutch in my 94 KDX200, I filed the basket and replaced the friction plates & steels. I adjusted the cable all the way in by the lever, as well as all the way in on the adjuster by the odometer. Then, I set the lever free-play at 15mm per the manual. The clutch was slipping a little at first, but the instructions said it would likely do that until it seated itself. I trail-rode about 12 miles yesterday, and then loaded up the bike and came home. Upon unloading, I noticed that the bike (cold by now) would barely climb my driveway. I pulled it into my shop and drained the tranny oil (Mobil1 10-30). WOW! it was solid silver... it looks like liquid metal. I re-filled it, and attempted a test-ride. Bike will barely move, while RPM soars. What now?????

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Any chance the plates aren't in correct order? Sorry...not to impugn your mech abilities, but something doesn't sound right. If it worked 1/2 way before, all new 'stuff' will be considerably 'thicker' than worn out stuff...so springs aren't going to all of a sudden become complete junk.

.....he said hopefully. Springs at THIS point are just ONE of the things you need to replace...again....I'd think.

Any chance of assembly problems?

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
I did not replace the springs. Let me quantify the before-and-after scenario. Before, the clutch grabbed very well. Too well really, because it wouldn't fully disengage and release completely, causing the motor to stall when stopping. Filing the basked probably cured this, but since I was already in there, and already had a replacement clutch pack, I changed them too. Now it slips like crazy. As I said before, I didn't change the springs. Think they maybe just can't handle the new friction materials?

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Isn't it more likely that a bike would take LESS spring pressure with new friction plates? I'd think the more they wore, the 'slicker' they got, THAT'S when you'd need more spring.

Besides, where's the metal coming from? If plates are slipping, it's friction against metal plates, not metal-metal.

I'm stuck on something else being wrong. Maybe the springs ARE weak, but how does that equate to complete failure (them having worked prior) with oil that looks like 'liquid metal'??

That said, isn't the '94 known for its crummy clutch?

Do the 86-99 XR plates work on the '94?

How about it's the wrong clutch kit?

Sorry...I don't have anything but more questions.

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
Your point about the springs is a good one. Now I'm really perplexed. I would assume the large amount of metal in the oil is friction material and the metal plates, but I haven't torn into it yet to see. I have no idea about the XR plates, and all I have to go by on the corectness of the clutch kit is the fact that the dimensions were correct and it fit like it should. I'll tear the clutch down tonight and post my findings.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I got it!! Did you soak the plates? Like overnight?

Actually, my riding buddy thought of that. If it's right, it wasn't my idea.

....but then, if it's wrong...it wasn't my idea either!! :)

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
Soaked the plates for 2 hours, as per the instructions. I pulled it apart this evening, and the friction plates and steels are both fine. They look great. That being said, I have to ask myself... where did all the metal come from? :think:
Also, on the diagram at buykawasaki.com, which is the same as the one in the manual, it shows a washer (pn 92200) going between The basket and clutch-wheel. When I install this washer as shown, the clutch wheel and hub don't seem to fit the basket correctly anymore. They seem to fit significantly better without the washer. Is this diagram wrong, or what?

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Obvious question (this time) is, 'Was the washer where it says it should be when you took it apart?'

BTW..your link is good only for your 'log-in' at buykawisaki.com

Looking at 'buykawi' for your bike, the washers appear to be the same lashup as newer kdxs.

So, I don't think it's wrong.

I recall posts saying positioning this washer is a pain. I've only messed with it once, so can't say from dozens of clutch rebuilds what to do or not do. There wasn't a problem on the one I had anything to do with. Got lucky, maybe?

It works better if the bike is on its side when it comes to putting it all together.

Come to think of it, maybe it's the OTHER 92200 that was the issue. There are two, on either side of the spacer 92028. Both there? You would have to have them out if you were filing on the basket I assume.

There isn't any metal rub indication from the basket to the disk assy?

Where was the washer when you put it back together? Where it should be, or someplace else?

Pm BRush, maybe. He's had some recent clutch experience...with that washer, I think. At least search on his user-name. Probably for the last six months or so.

BRush knows, I'll bet'cha. If he says it, it is so!

****edit for emphasis

Last edited:

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
It was in the correct location. I assembled the whole clutch rig as-per the manual. I have an experienced dirtbike weenie coming over tonight to look at it, and i'll post the results. I'm a very accomplished automotive mechanic, but it appears as though that is of little help in this instance. Stay tuned for further developments.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
If it’s anything like the 95-02 clutch (and I think it is) you better make good and sure that you have both of the 92200 washers in position – one on either side of the basket, with the 92028 bushing in the middle. They are critical to proper positioning of the clutch assembly. You refer to the washer in the singular. There should be two, and they should be of identical thickness. Do you see two? If you don’t, check the very end of the clutch shaft up against the center case by feel. An oil film can obscure the washer and make it look just like the end of the shaft bearing housing. If one were not paying attention ( don’t ask me how I know this :o) one could inadvertently put both washers on the inboard side of the clutch and grinding noises might be heard when the clutch cover goes back on...

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Thanks BRush.
I thought you were (too) familiar with this washer issue;)

Think that's where the 'liquid metal' and slip is coming from?

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
Well, I re-installed the old clutch pack, and the problem is cured. It appears as though the mobil1 I soaked the new plates in has ruined them. Chalk it up to experience. Thanks for all of the great troubleshooting tips, though. As for all the metal in the oil, I don't have a clue....

Last edited:

greeneb

Jan 15, 2000
An "experienced dirtbike weenie" huh............ :)

I think the metal is just from having the clutch slipping all day, wouldn't worry about it....

EG

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom