New Gas Gas 300 owner, any tips?

rmxr

Sep 6, 2000
I am picking up an EC 300 Gas Gas on monday, any tips for a new Gas Gas owner. The dealer is setting it up, I think he is putting in a different carb needle (it's a 2001 model). He also mentioned modifying the slide cut away. Is this necessary for fast trail riding, i.e. not harescrambles or enduro riding? know it will need to be greased up at the usual areas, any thing else?
Thanks, Jim
Guess I can't be rmxr anymore

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
After every ride your first 4 or 5 times out check your spokes it will take a while for them to set and the WILL come loose.

TMKDXER

Sep 18, 2001
Hey rmxr, how's the power come on with the 300 compared to the 250? Does it have a huge hit or is it a real linear pull? I'm calling a guy today to try and get a test ride on one but we just got about 8 inches of WETTTTTT snow so I dont know if he'll want to get any bikes out.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
The power is much more linear than a 250 ( I have owned both and have a 300EC now) The powerband is lower in the RPM range than a 250 and won't rev as high. But the power is smooth and strong. Very little hit on a EC model. I really noticed the benefits of a 300 in a very muddy enduro. The 300 can be rode very low in the RPM range to reduce the wheelspin

I also noticed that you dont have to shift as much in tight woods. It has the torque to use more of the gear you are in.

It was a good move for me.

As far as being new, Daniel is right the spokes will come loose. If you are at sea level you don't need to change the slide.

Unlike many of the Jap bikes, the GasGas's do come well lubed from the factory (linkage etc) but you can go through it for peace of mind.

I put a 50 tooth rear on (which requires a longer chain as well)
due to the tight stuff I ride in.

Other things I have done is a Scotts dampner kit,Pro Tapers, SRC bark buster mounts, big tank, Eline pipe guard, MX Tech suspension, .44 fork springs, and a BRP rear rotor guard.

I had problems with stalling at low RPM but fixed that with a non resistor plug and a little higher idle speed.

You will suprised how well they are set up and ready to ride!

rmxr

Sep 6, 2000
Gas Gas test ride

Scewboy,
I won't pick mine up until monday but I test rode the dealers personal bike.
Very linear power, light years ahead of my RMX (which I still think is a great trail bike). Suspension is phenomenal, low end snap will produce instant wheelies, at least on the test ride.After I put on the WER stabilizer and shark fin from my RMX I don't think it will need anything.Oh yea, swapping out bark busters from RMX too.

rmxr

Sep 6, 2000
Gas Gas aftermarket tanks

Offroadr,
What larger gas tank do you use, what brands are available? The two gallon stocker will definitly be a hindrance for me.
Thanks, Jim

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
Are you sure about the 2 gal tank? I thought starting with the 01' model they all had a 2.8 gal.
My 99' has a 2.5 gal and will go about 60 mi.

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
KDXFile is right about the tanks getting larger in '01

I ran the stock tank on my '99 250 and could go 45mi no problem. BUT the 300 is way thirstier! I have an IMS tank.

Plus it all depends how hard you turn the throttle. I ran my 300 out about 1:45 into a 2 hr tight hare scramble with the stock tank. Never did that on the 250. Thank goodness for reserve :)

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
who makes bigger tanks for the 250's? I could certainly use the extra distance on mine, 45 miles isn't far enough for the riding I do, almost came up short on the last ride, I could hear it sucking the last bits from the bottom :eek:

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I came off of a RMX onto a EC250. You'll be very happy with the bike. I would watch the nickle coating on the frame were the boots rub. I put clear number plate covers over mine. I also put on the damper, flatland Radiator gaurds, skidplate,ltr jetting kit, hebo disk gaurd, protaapers and mxtech suspension.

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
justql, in what ways is the RMX different from the EC250 ? I am thinking of buying a EC250, but have yet to take a test ride.

Regards
TR

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
The EC is a lot lighter feeling, it turns quicker and the motor is smoother. My RMX had a flywheel weight but it still had alot more wheel spin than the EC.
I don't know of any areas that an RMX is better than the EC. Don't get me wrong, I loved the RMX, but I would not go back to an RMX after getting used to the easy handling EC.

rmxr

Sep 6, 2000
Gas Gas

You guys are correct, my owners manual says 2.5 gallons for the tank.
Just curious, the radiator guard says ec and the swingarm says XC.
What is that all about? Can you run non-resistor plugs with any damage?
Jim A.

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
Fuel Tanks and Capacity
I think the fuel capacity was accidentally listed as 2.8 gallons somewhere in the past. My 2001 manual lists the capacity as 2.5 gallons and it took 2.5 gallons (tank was completely empty) and it could have taken a little more.

IMS makes two tanks for the GasGas - I think one is for pre-2000 and one for model 2000-2002 bikes. I have heard the older tanks don't fit perfectly the new ones fit well - I saw one at my local dealer and it looked *very* nice - and I have a general bias towards clarke tanks over IMS. Capacity on the IMS tanks is 3.2 gallons (increased capacity and range of 28%).

Jetting
Most go with the LTR jetting kit and the stock slide - check out www.lt-racing.com - also check out the bulletin board on smackovermotorsprots.com for more detailed discussion on gasgas's.

Why the tank says EC and the swingarm sticker says XC
The American distributor customizes the bikes for the american market and dubs them "XC" and in other parts of the world they are "EC"s.

jeff
'01 gasgas ec300
My Sponsors
www.smackovermotorsports.com The GasGas Parts Warehouse
www.lt-racing.com GasGas Performance Accessories and Services

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
The pre 2000 tanks fit in the bike ok, its the shrouds that don't fit real well
you have to do a little trimming. No big deal

As far as the resistor plugs, it was recommended by SMS and GGNA to help low end stalling. Seems to be fine

EK

Dec 3, 2000
I spent a lot of time messing with the jetting on my '01 GasGas 300XC. I thought it worked pretty well. Then I put in the LTR jetting kit. WOW!! It was WAAYYY better - more responsive, cleaner, and more linear. It was the best mod I made to the machine.

Later I added the LTR power valve cover - a solid improvement, but not quite as dramatic as the jetting.

I use the non-resistor B8ES at 0.024" gap - it seems to work best.

I run a Michelin X-11 trials tire on the back as I do primarily trail riding - it is simply the best tire I have ever tried. I consider it the second best mod to the GasGas, just after the LTR jetting. Check out my write-up at: http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?threadid=32600

With these mods you will be amazed with the machine every time you ride.

Eric K
'01 GasGas 300XC
LTR jetting
Michelin X-11 trials tire

rmxr

Sep 6, 2000
Gas Gas 300

Thanks for all the info, I didn't realize how many of you went from an RMX to a Gas Gas. Got mine today, it is a terrific bike, I will probably get the jet kit several of you mentioned, got to break it in first and get the adapter for the WER I had on the RMX.My dealer took my bike to his house over the weekend to set it up for me, he and his son both ride one, then let me pick it up today at the shop even though they are closed on Mondays. He really went the extra mile for me on this sale.
Formerly RMXR

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
wer adapter

rmxr,
I moved my WER unit from a 00' Husky to my 99' GasGas. I had to drill a couple of extra holes in the mount but saved the money over a new mounting kit. Take your front fender off and use as a template to see if the holes are close and/or if you can add some to make it work. The side bracket on the frame is easy to adapt.
Just an idea, (fwiw).

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
Good Luck, they are fantastic woods bikes. If the slide was modified, this will most likely affect the LTR jetting if you go with the kit (too lean). I don't think the slide is the problem, especially in GA (I assume <1000'). Les solved the low-mid issues with the needle. If your now stuck with a cut slide, discuss this with Les first, or better yet, get a new #7 slide. The kit is absolutely perfect with the #7, you won't believe the difference it makes in low to mid response.

One thing to do immediatly is check to be sure the upper pipe mount is not rubbing the tank. It is a very close fit.

rmxr

Sep 6, 2000
Gas Gas 300 carb slide

Thanks Glenn,
The slide has not been modfied, this is something dealer said I may want to do later. He mentioned changing the needle but not sure if he did or which one, I had to many questions at the time to keep up with every thing.
I think I will go with the LTR carb kit. Interesting side note, when I mentioned the kit to the dealer he was only vaguely familiar with it, he said he heard that the needles had been getting bent when wide open throttle causing uncontrolled full throttle. Sounds like BS to me, I'm gonna try the kit, I told him if I was going to play with expensive carg slides I could always get a KTM, seems those KTM owners love to play with slides and needles, personally I have better things to do, no offense KTM owners.

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
rmxr,

That needle story is BS, I heard that too. Its impossible to do that, the needle is a standard Keihin part for the PWK 38 carb.

Check out www.smackovermotorsports.com for detailed GasGas tech discussion. Sam and Jim at SMS and Les at LTR would be happy to help you out with first rate accessories, parts, and advice. Good luck, its a great bike.

Top Bottom