New guy, just picked up an 89 kdx200.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Lost the camera somehow. Here's some crappy cellphone shots of the new pipe and the old girl as she sits right now....

Waitin on the crankshaft to come back from the machine shop and we'll see how she runs. Pro-x piston and rings, hot rods connecting rod, hot rods main bearings and seals, 12/49 sprockets, new chain, boyesen 607 reeds, and the DG pipe with stock silencer. Sounds like fun to me, at least for now. Sometime in the next few months I'll do a proper top end. Right now the bottom end had priority...

IMG00109.jpg

IMG00110.jpg

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Well, she is re-born! I had the KDX out at brushy for 6 hours yesterday, the difference is incredible. I think the KIPS sounds louder than it did, but maybe that's just because the crank knock is gone now, lol. The reeds and pipe made an incredible difference all through the range, and the powerband stays on longer. I normally lug in 3rd all day, but found myself keeping it pinned in 2nd a lot more just because it was so much fun. I need to do some work on the front forks. Really soft coming off the jumps...

Swapped with my buddies yz250 for a while which we also just finished rebuilding. Pretty impressive work on that bike too, it runs excellent, but it tends to ride me more than me riding it. I wanted my KDX back, and he called me a cheater for the rest of the day, lol. The KDX really is just point and shoot. It tracks well, while the yz hops all over the place with all the tire spin. Definitely more work on the YZ. Especially for me, since we have it set up for his 230lbs and I'm 150 in gear.

Anyway, it was a great day down there. Warm, bit cloudy, lots and lots of mud. Our buddy with the yzf450 was out as well, and couldn't believe the way my KDX handled the muddy hill climbs. He's a better rider than me, but I was able to stay right on his tail up all the climbs, and even whipped it past him on a couple.

I'm sore today. Gonna hang out on the garage and try to get that 91 we picked up put back together. We determined it was the rare white KDX that they put out in 91. I tried to talk him into finding white plastics and doing it back up original, but he wants to go green/black with it. Oh well... We have all the bits and pieces here to put her back together so hopefully we'll get it started this evening.

Top Bottom