Ramski

Feb 6, 2001
Just wanted to pass along info I got from Destry Abbott's web site. IMS is comming out with a new slimmer tank for the 500 that will also use KX250 shrouds. Thank god since the 500 shrouds are expensive. Makes me kinda want to keep my 500 now.

DGMAX99

Dec 6, 2001
Do you know what size tank it will be? I assume it will be styled more like the 250 tank to accommodate the 250 shrouds, true? I’ve got a ’00 500 and although I have not had to replace the shrouds YET, (knock on wood, if you know what I mean, ha ha) I do like the styling of the 250 a little better. May be an interesting setup if they don’t cut the capacity much.

Have you seen any pictures of it?

Thanks for the info.
:)

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Tank should be released to the public in Jan. or Feb.
No pics of the tank on Destry's site (that I could find), just a lil paragraph about the new tank

selmgren

Sep 3, 2001
I called IMS yesterday to inquire about the new 500 tank. They are still refining the tank at this time, but think it will hold aprox. 3.5 gallons. Like stated earlier it will require kx 250 shrouds and a new pipe, that right a new pipe. The new tank sits lower over the motor so a new pipe design is needed, Pro Circuit and FMF have a proto-type tank and are designing a new pipe. The new tank will also be alot narrower and IMS said a new narrow seat may be needed.They are trying to finish the new design before the National Hare and Hound season starts. Sounds like a great design, but will be an expensive up-grade.

DGMAX99

Dec 6, 2001
That's quite an increase in capacity from the stock tank. It will be interesting to see the end shape. Sounds like the right side will be just as deep as the left requiring a redesigned (lower) pipe sweep.

selmgren

Sep 3, 2001
This a not a redesign of the stock tank, IMS already made a 3.6 gallon desert tank. The tank was nice but tended to be wide and bulky, this new tank will hopefully make the 500 sleek and narrow. If you don't race the desert or trail ride for long distances why invest in this new tank. It will be spendy!!!

DGMAX99

Dec 6, 2001
I’m all for the “sleek and narrow”. The extra capacity is always nice reassurance on the long trails as you stated since there’s no “reserve” to rely on. Sounds like a good excuse for a performance pipe, too! I guess we’ll just have to wait for the end price to see if its all worth it for whatever the riding style. :)

Top Bottom