New KLX450, wierd idleing wth?

kdx175

Sep 7, 2004
Just recently bought a 2008 KLX450 brand new left over, picked it up for 4000 which didnt think was bad at all... I took it out for a ride at the butter cup dunes, and with it completly warmed up it seemed to just want to stay on high idle all the time. When the bikes cool it will run on low idle but as it gets warmer the more it wants to just stay on high idle. First four stroke ive owned any help would be apriciated thanks

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
take off the carb and clean it. clean the jets, all the circuits, verify the fuel screw setting and make sure you lube the hotstart plunger and adjust the hotstart cable so there is slack in it.

kdx175

Sep 7, 2004
I will give all those a checkin over but you think there would be troubles like that even where got less than 50 miles on it??

kdx175

Sep 7, 2004
That would make sence becouse when I first rode it it had bad spark knock until I drained and put new fuel in it... I messed around with it last night and the head pipe got red hot after about 4 minutes, just idleing and reving some... Lean? but when i pulled the hot start lever it would kick back down to low idle. I'll have to tear into the carb when i get a chance... four-stroke carb is going to be a learning experience :bang:

kdx175

Sep 7, 2004
Thank you green hornet I never thought of adjusting the idle screw :cool: Thanks for the input though.... anyways took the carb off couldn't be any cleaner, no junk. Disconected the tps didnt work pluged back in. Messed with the idle screw with no avail. If I hold in on the hot start lever or put the bike in gear and slip the clutch a little it will kick back down but after one rev it sticks on high idle... Has anybody else had this hanging idle problem?! KLX450R is NOT impressing me

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Could be an air leak. However, it could be more simple. If you remove the carb from the bike, work the throttle and visual inspect the slide. Take a "sharpie" and mark the slide when it is all the way closed. Work the throttle slowly and quickly an see that the slide returns to the exact same spot every time. If it does not return to the same spot, disconnect the throttle cable and operate the slide manually. If the slide rests at the same spot everytime, its a cable issue. If it still does not return to the same spot you likely have a burr on the slide or the housing.
Since the bike is new, check with the dealer and see what they can do for you.

kdx175

Sep 7, 2004
Thanks BSWIFT some good tech info there. I ended up taking it to the dealer after I took the carb off and inspected it, I left the jets in and just sprayed them out the carb looked spottless. The dealer completly tore down the carb and cleaned now it runs mint.

Top Bottom