will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
ok...i hope this doesn't break any rules...

as many of you have seen by my signature, i am a product development engineer. that means that at the job i attend in order to pay for racing, i have to identify needs and work to create solutions. well, the first time i used an aftermarket header pipe on one of my yz400s, i quickly identified the need for a head shield! for various reasons, it's taken me this long to develop what i think is finally a real solution that i could make available to other riders of these fine but warm machines. so, without further ado, let me direct you to
http://www.patmanracing.com

where you will find the website of my very good friend patrick hall. go to the "new product testing" section, which pat has graciously started with a review of the bar-p engineering yz heat shield.

let me know what ya think!

------------------
will pattison
engineer, racer
ignition
www.ignitioninc.com

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Looks pretty trick Will. Nice job.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
That heat shield looks pretty good. I can't tell from the photo's how you're mounting it. How's it go on?

------------------
Mark
'01 YZ250F,'01 Yzinger 80,'99 WR400F,'99 XR100
'98 Royal Star TC,'96 XR200

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
thanks rich!

the shield mounts in just a few minutes using stainless steel hose clamps- aircraft grade, i might add.

so, are youse guys ready to order some?
smile.gif

wp.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Don't need one. My stock pipe comes with a heat shield standard
smile.gif

J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
Sorry Will I don't need one either, as I also run the stock pipe, but it does look very cool. I would think there is a good market for your product though.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Will:

I need a heat shield real bad, because I have those over-the-boot type riding pants (because I wanted pockets - no flames about old guys wearing young punk gear). I had some heat protection sewn on, but somehow managed to goof that up.

The only problem I can see is that the sheild isn't quite long enough. If stick my leg straight out going into a corner, the back of the pant leg would still touch on the front part of the header (real hot there).

If you could make one that would extend and curve around the front part of the pipe for a short distance, I want one.
smile.gif

------------------
Holeshot's Page
(I think I stole somebody's girl)

[This message has been edited by holeshot (edited 03-02-2001).]

Stephen

Feb 20, 2001
The heatshield looks great. Will it work on the stock pipe? Mines bent already. And what about shipping to Canada?
Thanks,
Steve

toddw1016

Feb 5, 2001
I have the e-series header pipe and had a problem with burnt pants as well. What I finally found that worked is to use the stock heat shield, 2 hose clamps, 2 short (3/8"?) bolts, 2 lockwashers, 2 nuts. Drill a hole in each hose clamp, assemble, and mount on header pipe with hose clamps. Problem solved, and looks stock.

THUMPER426

Feb 11, 2001
Hay will i have a 426 and have a p/c head. I have holes in my $140 pair of lbz's. I have friends that work at a muffler shop and got an old muf. and cut a peice out. Then hooked it up with "inverted" hose clamps. I think yours is prettyer than mine.

tongue.gif
THUMPER POWER :P

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
hey guys, thanks for the feedback. let me see if i can answer all the questions at once:

shipping to canada or anywhere else is no problem as long as you are willing to pay for it.

this gaurd isn't going to easily work on the stock pipe because it doesn't have a long straight section like some of the aftermarket units. it's bent just so that it covers the top oil filter bolt.
tongue.gif

as far as making it wrap around the curve- that's basically a cost issue. i think it can certainly be done, but the more operations have to be done to the sheet metal, the more it costs. today, my product development budget is VERY low! now, i'm sure that baggies would be worse, but i know i am the king of rubbing my pants off on the pipe (my buddies call me "oil slick"), and i rarely get any that far forward.

hope this all helps.

wp.

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
Looks cool... I wonder if it might be lighter and dispate heat more efficiently if made of Al.

Also, it looks like the leading edge of that guard might snag something. It seems like it should have a hose clamp at the front over the guard, with the shield contoured to the pipe.

I'm running the tapered DMC head pipe, and haven't burnt my pants at all (unlike the stock headpipe which nearly fried my leg).

Tony

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
hi tony-

aluminum is something i certainly considered, because as you point out, it would certainly be lighter than stainless. it is also true that aluminum has a much higher coefficient of thermal conductivity- which is one of the main reasons i chose NOT to use it. my feeling is that the shield should effectively be an insulator from the pipe, and stainless has a relatively low c.o.t.c. how fast the shield dissipates heat to the atmosphere is a function of exposed edge area- hence the large number of holes in the gaurd- and airflow. i notice that i often burn my leg while sitting or standing in awkard positions on the trail- when i'm not riding. you know, stopping for a bottleneck or some such drama in the bottom of a gully where there is NO airflow.

the other big reason for not using aluminum is really a manufacturing consideration. in order for an aluminum version to be as bulletproof as the stainless, it would literally have to be 3x as thick, and heat treated to a t-6 condition. the problem there is that as the thickness and hardness of aluminum increases, the minimum allowable inside bend radius also increases. because of space constraints, i needed the tightest possible bends for this design.

sorry this got so long, but since you asked, i thought i would give you guys an example of the kinds of trade-offs that have to be made during the product devlopment process.

wp.

Top Bottom