John In NC

Sep 19, 2005
I grew tired of my friend telling me how much fun the track is. He has a WR400 and says that my DRZ 400s should do fine. I however know better, so I recently added a '99 YZ 250 to my collection. I felt something light and quick was in order. Now is there anythig I should consider in the care and feeding of a 2 stroke? Is there an easy way to tell the wife about such things?

WillyM

May 18, 2004
Well first off 2-stroke oil is not 2-stroke oil, buy a good synthetic oil, and stick with it.I like Amsoil synthetic.
The second thing is buy a spare air filter, I like UNI 3 stage filters.

And last,but not least go, and get a compression gage, and test your compression every 10 hours,this will keep you on top of any top end issues.
As far as the wife I don't know what to tell you.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Dont tell her, wait untill she notices it her self and ether tell her its for the nearest birthday/anniversary and so on and that is for her so you can spend more time with her, but she found out early, or buy her some thing nice and give it to her as soon as you tell her. lol.

And use a good premix and tranny oil, keep the airfilter oiled up, and do a compression test every once and a while.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
The wife one is easy. Tell her, "Honey, it was either buy a bike or have an affair." :laugh:

I'd suggest you do this AFTER you've "gotten some" because it will probably be a while before you get it again. :) :bang:

funfactor1

Mar 13, 2005
Synthetic 2-stroke oil as well as bottom end oil .Bottom end should be changed every 2-3 rides and don't forget to grease the swing arm the linkage and the steering head.Again quality oil and grease it is worth the money.Cheap will cost you in the long run my 2-cents

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
Your just going to have to get used to jetting the bike and figuring the oil/gas ratio it and you like. Synthetic schmenthetic. Ive used tons of oils. I just use redline 2 stroke oil and regular ole chevron 10/30 motor oil in the case. My clutch works perfect and everytime Ive opened my bikes they look emaculate inside. Just change it often. Follow the manual and tune it correctly, and read up so you know what causes what symptoms. Piece of cake.
And the wife, well if you allready have it you allready know that its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
WillyM said:
Well first off 2-stroke oil is not 2-stroke oil, buy a good synthetic oil, and stick with it.

What does this mean? I use a non-synthetic Suzuki 2-stroke oil, should I switch to synthetics??

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
all advice on oil and maintenance is good , however, about the wife. you are now a salesman, this new bike is SAFER.......it obviously has the power to get you out of situations, it handles so well you cant imagine the terrain it would take to get it to lose control and dont get me started on the SURGICAL INSTRUMENT LIKE BRAKES :nod: this bike is WAY SAFER than the 400. if shes not gonna like the cost issue ive got more :yikes:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
John, Stick to one mix ratio and re-jet your bike to run on that ratio. The most common ratio and one that works well is 32:1. I have used MAXIMA SUPER M 2-stroke oil for years now and it works well. Runs clean and it is semi-synthetic (I think). Either semi or fully synthetic.... Either way my pistons look nearly new when I pull them out.

WillyM

May 18, 2004
rodH said:
What does this mean? I use a non-synthetic Suzuki 2-stroke oil, should I switch to synthetics??
Synthetics are good because they dont foul plugs, and they cause less friction between metal parts.
I will use nothing less than synthetic 2-stroke oil because, I can do rebuilds less often.

rob129

Jun 27, 2004
Its easier to ask to be forgiven that it is to ask for permission. I use Maxima 927 at 44:1 in my CR500's....its hard to beat the protection and the smell of the bean oil.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
unless you are running it pretty lean (fuel to air I mean), that will eventually plug everything up with a resin-like material. Been there, done that. Yes, it smells heavenly. Check out Klotz R-50. Got the smell, and less deposits.

rob129

Jun 27, 2004
motometal said:
unless you are running it pretty lean (fuel to air I mean), that will eventually plug everything up with a resin-like material. Been there, done that. Yes, it smells heavenly. Check out Klotz R-50. Got the smell, and less deposits.
Never had any deposits other than on the piston crown. Bike ran fine and with a choco colored plug.

Last edited:
Top Bottom