No ankle movement. Are MX Boots evolving ?

May 23, 2012
I am currently using Alpine Star Tech 7 Boots for MX .
This has an extremely comfortable toe box with no insert for my wide 4E foot. Its been about a year using this style boot and it still offers very little ankle movement. The ankle side of these boots has one solid plastic piece that seems to not break in for me. I have read reviews that rate these very high. They are STIFF !!!! I fondly remember the days of Daytona MX boots and Scott Plastic boots that offered ALOT of ankle movement. I am having problems shifting because of these boots.
Are there any newer style boots offering more ankle movement ?

HELP ! Your suggestions would be appreciated.

fatalxsunrider43

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Trials boots still provide good mobility and protection. I wear the Alpinestars No Stops and they are comfortable and provide tons of protection without feeling like I am wearing a cast.

http://www.alpinestars.com/shop/categories/moto/footwear/mxoff-road/no-stop-trials-boot/

20040_black_z.jpg

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I have not been in the boot market for a long time, but I have to say the Gaerne SG-10 is an excellent mix of protection and comfort. For an MX boot, they are easy to shift with and walk around in on the trail. Did not take very long to break in, if my memory serves. Not sure if they come in wide and extra wide sizes.

Boots are definintely a personal preference, but I know several guys with the SG-10 and they are all very satisfied.

May 23, 2012
Wow ! Great responses, I'll have a look at both of your suggestions. I wonder if the Trials boot is considerably lighter weight ? They look like they might be. I sure wish DAYTONA MX boots were still made. That German company originally made Speedway
boots that were incredibly light a allowed extraordinary amount of movement. The MX boots were just as good. Wish I could find a pair of those !

fatalxsunrider43

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The No Stops feel lighter than my old High Point boots (still my fave).
hipoint01.jpg

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Check out the Sidi Crossfires too. They're squeeky, but last forever... just make sure to blue Loctite all the screws.

Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
That is so funny Rich Also my favorite boot if you were racing with Hi-point boots you just cant let go of them I still have a pair of blue and white ones from 1984 I like Tek 3 for racing but ride mostly with my trials boots.My kids call them slippers Not so good for hi speed rock smashing

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I also had the old metal shin guard Hi-Points, made by Alpine Star. Mine were all black, bought in '84.

My brother gave me his red and white pair when he stopped riding.

Wore both of those pairs of boots for like 20 years. I know I gave one pair away with a bike I sold. Gotta check and see if the other set is still in the garage.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Okiewan said:
I only lusted after the hi points, ran a pair of lineman boots that were a lot cheaper at the time. They took Forever to lace up!
Me too. Boy we're old. :nod:

I was golden when getting my first pair of Full Bores. :ride:

May 23, 2012
Yes, I too remember the old lineman boots, oh 1971 or so. I recall hitting my foot on

a tall rock in Fontana CA and splitting my big toe wide open. I think the linemans

boots were even steel toed. Needless to say that a pair of Hi Point's followed soon

after that little injury. I am trying to recall all the boots I have worn over the years,

lets see.....

Lineman Boots
Hi Point Metal Fronts
Daytona/Maico Boots
Scott Boots
O'Neal
MSR
Tech 7

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri