Swirk

May 17, 2000
I did a search, but it didn't turn up anything, so.....

I started my bike for the first time this weekend. Ran great, the only problem is the clutch was noisy. It seemed real loud. I pulled in the clutch lever and the noise went away. My question is, anyone else have this noise? I think it is normal, but I am a little unsure. My bike is a 1996 KTM 300EXC.

------------------
'96 KTM 300 EX/C

Smail's98KTM

Apr 10, 2001
not typical unless you dont take care of your bike. What you might have is warped clutch disks or a worn basket or broken spring somewhere. i would start by checking the disks. If they are not warped its probably the basket...i own a 98 ktm 125 and have replaced all of the above and my clutch is silent.....

------------------
Katooms rule

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
My clutch has made the enganged noise since it was new, out of the box. That's not to say that there isn't anything wrong. Do what Smail's98KTM says to do first before accepting it.

------------------
Lloyd TMTC #540 - Y2K KTM 250 E/XC
Please sign my Guestbook at My Homepage
"You're fast 'cause the fast guys stayed home!!"

georgieboy

Jan 2, 2001
The play between the basket and fiber-plates are beyond specs. You may reduce the noise, but with some bikes it won't go away. When you say a 96' bike, the basket is probably grooved, making more free-play(more noise).
Live with it, if clutch works well, or deal with it(money). Anyway as suggested check it.

------------------

Swirk

May 17, 2000
Thanks guys.

The bike is well taken care of. I checked the plates and the basket. Both are within spec. I didn't see any grooves in the basket. I guess that is just a KTM thing...everyone else wouldn't understand. I will live with it for now and put it on my list for next winters project.

------------------
'96 KTM 300 EX/C

KTMster

Mar 27, 2001
My clutch has been noisy from the day I bought it new. I pull in the clutch lever and the noise goes away. It was really starting to bother me today and so I am glad I read this post because the clutch works fine and so I am not going to worry about it.

------------------
'01 KTM M/XC400 (My bike)
'00 Yamaha TTR225 (My old lead sled, but new night rider/camp hopper & pit vehicle)
'00 Honda CR250 (Hubby's bike)
AMA D37

Top Bottom