Now THIS is STUPID.. MORE PC

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Story on the radio about a High School (in MA) Football coach getting suspended for the score of a recent game... 56-0. Apparently, there is a rule that you aren't allowed to win by more than 50 points.

If they guy intentionally ran the score up, he's a bad sport, but.... the word is, the entire team played, the other team just sucked. How do you tell your 3rd string to play, but "don't try hard, don't score" ?

"You may not win by more than 50 points".
It's a rule.

Have we lost our minds?

letsride24-7

Aug 10, 2006
Yea i have seen that before. Both when i played in High school and also when i was playing peewee.. In peewee the coaches would get fined like 20 bucks per touch down. Our coarch used just tell us to play and never give up.. But really, what esle is the coach
going to do? tell them to fumble the ball and not go after it or them so then can score??

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
In order to prevent the other team from feeling bad, the team winning by more the 50 should forfeit the game.

It's just not right for kids to work hard and win by that much, The other team might no have had as good of childhood, and couldn't afford the proper foot wear. Just like Bill Gates should not have so much money ;)

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
< ADMIN EDIT: No Religion posts ..... >

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
Im getting tired of this PC stuff. They are no longer called "janitors" instead "custodial technicians". That was probably my favorite memory from amsterdam. When we watched the street performers, they would make fun of everyone. Nobody took offense at this and enjoyed what they were doing for what it was. They had no boundries and it was the most enjoyable performance i have ever seen because they were able to make you laugh without have the FCC and others watching over their act. If that happened here, they would be arrested and then sued by his audience.

The babying here is getting ridiculous. Let the kids face real world problems and let them learn to deal with them.
Same thing goes along with the football game. Losing by some huge amount of points might just get them to try harder and/or the coach to try harder. The other coach shouldnt be penalized just because him and his team is the superior.

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
That's happened to a couple of my times in sports, particularly hockey. They stopped showing it on the score board after we were up by 7 or so goals. That's when we started counting with pucks. When we ended up with about 15 pucks sitting on our bench we knew we had it in the bag.

As far as that goes, if it's highschool or anything above, and they get beat by that..why don't they drop down a skill level. Like from AA to A. Or something. There's no reason why teams should be getting beat like that, if they can play at their level.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
In Idaho, the rule is if one team is ahead by 45 in the 3rd quarter, the game is over. Called the "Mercy Rule". I think Washington might be the same way.

56-0 ain't as bad as some NCAA scores I've seen in the recent past.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
XRpredator said:
In Idaho, the rule is if one team is ahead by 45 in the 3rd quarter, the game is over. Called the "Mercy Rule". I think Washington might be the same way.

56-0 ain't as bad as some NCAA scores I've seen in the recent past.
The "Mercy Rule" should be the norm. My 7th grade team got slammed 56-0 by a bigger faster team. That was just the way it was. 2 years later, after our team grew physically, we beat the same guys 36-12. S*&T happens.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Lousy rule for High School football.. Pee wee yes, but not in HS.. When the kid played peewee, his team won by an average of about 35 points.. If they were up by 30, they could not throw the ball or blitz.. I never did like that rule, being it took out the receivers.. But, the rule is a rule and the coach must of agreed to it when he became coach..

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
That link shows it was a nationally televised championship game!!! No way that rule should ever be enacted. Both those teams worked their way there and it is not like the losing team was just a bunch of kids that were thrown together just so they could play. They had defeated many teams to get there and then ran into a powerhouse. I feel bad for them loosiing the championship but really think they have some serious work to do before their next season or maybe their coach should be suspended for a few games by his players

Top Bottom