Oil Still Squirting Out of Exhaust

Jun 28, 2006
mg89 said:
how do you adjust the float anyways? It explains it in the clymer manual but I don't understand it. Sometimes when I turn the gas on, a lot of gas leaks from the carb likes it's flooded and I didn't even kickstart it yet, I just turn on the gas and it leaks. Is that also a problem of the float being off.

Dude, If you don't address this issues first you will never get your issues resolved.

Jun 28, 2006
ggurney said:
:coocoo:

read back, start at page one and catch up. not once did I reccomend he rejet his carb. not without knowing the questions I asked.

:coocoo: Dude, Never said you told him to change his jetting, I was just making a statement that the float level needs to checked before making any jetting changes.

Everybody seems to over look the issues that he posted about his carb leaking. He turns the gas on and it over flows out the vent lines, The fuel level is to high and the carb is flooding.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
mg89 said:
I took that carb out today and measured the float height. It was where it was supposed to be at 6.5mm/.26in...
He checked the float height.

mg89,
It sounds like you're getting a grasp on what's going on inside the carb and the fuel mixture. At least you are trying to learn...keep it up and you'll be answering the questions for someone else in the future :)

Take a methodical approach and you’ll get it running just fine.
:cool:

Jun 28, 2006
He still has not said if he has resolved the issues with fuel running out of the vent lines. Needle and seat could have some wear and are not sealing, that's if he is correct with the float level. Fuel should not run out the vent lines when you just turn the gas on. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Last edited:

mg89

Mar 11, 2006
I didn't have to adjust the float but I did check the main jet, I ran the bike at full throttle, turned the bike off, and coasted to a stop. I checked the spark plug and had some dark brownish oil on it. So I guess I should get a smaller main jet, since it's running rich. Or should I just keep turning the pilot air screw out more?

mg89

Mar 11, 2006
Big Bore Stroker said:
He still has not said if he has resolved the issues with fuel running out of the vent lines. Needle and seat could have some wear and are not sealing, that's if he is correct with the float level. Fuel should not run out the vent lines when you just turn the gas on. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Ever since I took it apart and measured the float height, then put it back in, it stopped leaking. Maybe the float just got stuck, and when I took it apart it got unstuck (if that makes any sense)

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
mg89 said:
Actually, if I put 50:1 I would run richer than I would than what I am running right now which is 32:1. When a bike is running richer it's the amount of GASOLINE being delivered to the engine NOT the OIL. that means if I run 50:1 More gasoline would be going through the engine.

I now don't think the problem is the oil/gas ratio it is something else, so I am going to check the main jet and the slow jet.

You are correct. For the purpose of your problem, I oversimplified it.

I am pretty sure if your float is adjusted properly, the engine is in good shape, the correct plug, good fuel and silencer packed. I think rejetting will solve your problem.

Steve

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
Whoa Nellie...

mg89 said:
Actually, if I put 50:1 I would run richer than I would than what I am running right now which is 32:1. When a bike is running richer it's the amount of GASOLINE being delivered to the engine NOT the OIL. that means if I run 50:1 More gasoline would be going through the engine.

I now don't think the problem is the oil/gas ratio it is something else, so I am going to check the main jet and the slow jet.

Folks referring to oil/fuel mixtures usually equate it with more parts oil to fuel equals a richer oil to fuel mixture.

Rich or lean conditions are referring to the fuel to air mixture in the carb. A 50:1 mixture does deliver more fuel than oil to the engine because the fuel to oil ratio is greater. (resulting in less combustion smoke) Which also reduces the chance of your drooling problem. (which is why you started this post in the first place right?)

Running synthetic oils you can always run a higher fuel to oil mixture because they lube better. No engine damage will result from running a 50:1 fuel/oil ratio with a good synthetic. And your not going to get any more power out of that ratio either. You will get a cleaner burn and superior lubrication though.

My suggestion to run a 50:1 ratio was a simple, first approach to the problem you wanted to cure. This thread is over 50 posts and the problem is not fixed. You need to start from the beginning of the thread and use all the info you have gotten.

QUOTED from the spectro sites faq's:

"1. I have an old, 2-cycle engine. Can I use your oil at 20:1 ratio as my manual recommends?

Our Golden Spectro 2-cycle pre-mix product is designed to be used at higher ratios than conventional 2-cycle lubricants. Because of its synthetic components, additive content and viscosity, it works best at ratios from 40:1 to 64:1. We recommend starting at 40:1 in older machines and checking your exhaust pipe for excessive drool. If you have a large volume of drool, go to a higher mix ratio until the drool is minimal. You will have all the protection you need and yet have very crisp throttle response and never foul a plug following these recommendations."

You can lead a horse to water...but ya can't make him drink.
I think this onre has been beaten to death!

mg89

Mar 11, 2006
dezryder said:
Folks referring to oil/fuel mixtures usually equate it with more parts oil to fuel equals a richer oil to fuel mixture.

Rich or lean conditions are referring to the fuel to air mixture in the carb. A 50:1 mixture does deliver more fuel than oil to the engine because the fuel to oil ratio is greater. (resulting in less combustion smoke) Which also reduces the chance of your drooling problem. (which is why you started this post in the first place right?)

Running synthetic oils you can always run a higher fuel to oil mixture because they lube better. No engine damage will result from running a 50:1 fuel/oil ratio with a good synthetic. And your not going to get any more power out of that ratio either. You will get a cleaner burn and superior lubrication though.

My suggestion to run a 50:1 ratio was a simple, first approach to the problem you wanted to cure. This thread is over 50 posts and the problem is not fixed. You need to start from the beginning of the thread and use all the info you have gotten.

"1. I have an old, 2-cycle engine. Can I use your oil at 20:1 ratio as my manual recommends?

Our Golden Spectro 2-cycle pre-mix product is designed to be used at higher ratios than conventional 2-cycle lubricants. Because of its synthetic components, additive content and viscosity, it works best at ratios from 40:1 to 64:1. We recommend starting at 40:1 in older machines and checking your exhaust pipe for excessive drool. If you have a large volume of drool, go to a higher mix ratio until the drool is minimal. You will have all the protection you need and yet have very crisp throttle response and never foul a plug following these recommendations."

Well it is fixed now. I re-jetted the carb acourding to what the billspipe.com recommends. I took it riding today and just a little amount of oil came out of the silencer, which I assume is the left over oil that stayed in the expansion chamber. It squirted a little amount of oil in the first hour and then stopped squirting oil out completely. So I don't think the problem was my oil/gas mixture.

Thanks everybody for helping me fix my oil leaking problem. :) :cool:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
mg89 said:
Well it is fixed now. I re-jetted the carb acourding to what the billspipe.com recommends. I took it riding today and just a little amount of oil came out of the silencer, which I assume is the left over oil that stayed in the expansion chamber. It squirted a little amount of oil in the first hour and then stopped squirting oil out completely. So I don't think the problem was my oil/gas mixture.

Thanks everybody for helping me fix my oil leaking problem. :) :cool:
Cool! :cool: I really enjoy when someone like you ends up learning enough about how your bike works to fix it yourself. I hope that with what you've learned you can continue to fine tune your bike for optimum performance. Congratulations! :)

mg89

Mar 11, 2006
RM_guy said:
Cool! :cool: I really enjoy when someone like you ends up learning enough about how your bike works to fix it yourself. I hope that with what you've learned you can continue to fine tune your bike for optimum performance. Congratulations! :)

Everyone thanks again, I've learned a lot. Oh, and here's a video of my bike before I fixed the problem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-PnOBBExLs

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
dezryder said:
...My suggestion to run a 50:1 ratio was a simple, first approach to the problem you wanted to cure. This thread is over 50 posts and the problem is not fixed. You need to start from the beginning of the thread and use all the info you have gotten...
With all due respect, this was just bad advice. More gas in the mixture will make it richer and worsen the problem. If you do some searching you'll see lots of info on this fact. You'll also learn that even at a 16:1 ratio you can get a clean burn with no oil drool and actual boost the power.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
I'm from Missouri...

RM_guy said:
With all due respect, this was just bad advice. More gas in the mixture will make it richer and worsen the problem. If you do some searching you'll see lots of info on this fact. You'll also learn that even at a 16:1 ratio you can get a clean burn with no oil drool and actual boost the power.

The show me state. :nod:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
dezryder said:

Ding, ding, ding! We have a Winner! After the float level is set, jet the bike according to your plug readings and throttle response. Pay close attention to the quote, fuel/oil ratio and fuel/air mixture are NOT the same. If you run 32:1 fuel/oil ratio, your fuel/air mixture is leaner than if your run a 50:1 fuel/oil mixture. READ the jetting thread! You will solve your problem AND understand your bike better when your done.

Top Bottom