Dec 17, 2005
I took the 82 yz125 out yesterday for a great day of riding. My friends son has a 2001 suzuki rm125 so I thought it appropiate for a drag race to see how mine would compare to a modern bike. Much to my suprise I was able to outrun it by about one bike length and I out-weigh him by a good 30 pounds. Old school rules! :yeehaw:

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2005
He has been riding since he was a boy and he is about 20 now. I can't keep up with him on the mx track, but my bikes suspension (or my skills) is nowhere near as good as his.

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
sounds like fun! I have several old bikes and ive always wanted to do that!
I have a '76 KX400 that I think could wax just about anything in a straight line. My YZ465 is a beast as well. As dirt bikes evolved, most of it was in the suspension department and in making the power easier to use across a wide range...something I think the modern 4 stroke has perfected. I have some seat time on a YZ450f--- I was afraid of getting on it after hearing my buddy talk about it, but it was a VERY well mannered bike! Power was there ALL the time, whenever you need it. To tell the truth my 465 scares me far more, it is NOT as refined, but that is part of its charm. In a drag, I dunno, the 450 has a few more ponies than my 465 but who knows maybe one day Ill give it a shot.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Reminds me of when i had my '79 yz400.
Was just out goofing around on it, and ended up riding with some guy on a 01 rm250.
Of course the "drag race" happened. And the 400 blew it away pretty easily.
Was funny though, guy rides up and says "good race, that's a nice old Suzuki ya got there!"
(yamahas were yellow back then.......) :) :rotfl:

Top Bottom