One Lap at Wide Open MX in Raeford, NC - GoPro HD

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Great video! The angle was perfect, very clear, amd great bike sound without wind noise.

You've picked up some jumping ability, too!

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
High Lord Gomer said:
You've picked up some jumping ability, too!

Thanks. . . Actually back when I was 13-14 or so, I was doing no handers and no footed can cans on a CR80.

15 years off riding and being 38 does tend to make one rethink such antics. . .

That big step up on the track was WOT in 4th gear (although in the vid I shifted to 5th). I think I'd take off a couple teeh on the rear if I was riding there all the time.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Chili said:
Looks good, looks like a nice track too!

It was a really well designed track - the jumps were all very safe - most were like doubles with a tabletop tacked on the end. I was not fast enough to clear most of them completely.

Thus, beginners (Like my friend in the video at 1:40) could easily learn to jump the doubles and really fast guys could treat each of them as a triple.

Last edited:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I got a lot of friends who ride there and they LOVE the place. Everyone from the A rider to the spode seems to enjoy the track and says the owners are great to deal with.

Ivan

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
oldguy said:
Looked real good and as Gomer said it is so much easier on the veiwer when the camera is mounted correctly.

I put the cam right on top of my visor - as near to the back of the visor as I could find a flat spot. Then I turn it up about 20 degrees above the angle of the visor.

I eventually plan to mount it upside down on the bottom of the visor - but I'm waiting on the upside down software to be made available for the HD.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
truespode said:
I got a lot of friends who ride there and they LOVE the place. Everyone from the A rider to the spode seems to enjoy the track and says the owners are great to deal with.

Ivan

The owner is a very interesting character. About 50 and always shirtless with a cowboy hat. Very helpful guy.

The track was GREAT the first two days we rode there - very little traffic. I could ride two laps without passing or being passed. There were times where only 3 or 4 riders were on the track. There would be 2 or 3 pronounced ruts in every corner and generally soft everywhere else - with a few braking bumps here and there.

However. . . on Sunday afternoon, I thought I was at the High Point National. There were so many deep ruts and huge (for me anyway) braking bumps that it was REALLY difficult to get around with any speed to speak of. The "braking bumps" started WAAYYY before the corners.

Ruts - especially right hand corner ruts - are very difficult for me. Here in SE Ohio, the tracks are usually either total hard pack with no traction or thick mud.

Loved the traction at Wide Open, but it would take me awhile to get any good at the ruts the way they were on Sunday.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
We also went to Outback ATV Park - 700 acres of pretty good trails and woods. Would be nice if there was some elevation changes, but it's a pretty flat area. I'll try to post some video of that, as well.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Damn .............. can I move to North Carolina? :ride:

Top Bottom