Only one thing standing in my way...(my wife)

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I NEED to go to the Fest this year but have one little(big) problem. What do I tell her??. She doesnt ride and thinks I spend way too much time maintaining and riding my bike. We have a newbie on the way due in July which makes it that much harder. How do all you guys do it?? In a few years I can bring the little bubba and justify it as father/son time but for this year I am stumped. I have been reading this book on hypnotism but i'm afraid I wont have it mastered in time!!

Any advise??

Just in case I pull this off is there anyone in Southern NH that would be interested in starting a convoy?, the trip is long and it would be much better in a group.

frown.gif
Mac
frown.gif

00-KDX-200

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Bring her (and the little one) with!!!
biggrin.gif
OK - probably not the most practical solution...

Maybe remind her of all the times she goes on shopping trips with the girls and that having your own hobbies keeps a happy and healthy marriage?!?

Or bribe her - reward her by taking her somewhere nice or doing something special together... but in return she has to let you escape for MWSF for a few days.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
'01 YZ 125 - #32
2000 D17 Women's Motocross Champion
Sponsors: DGY, MX-Tech, Bell, Smith, Works Connection, Boyesen, Twin Air, SoCal/DeCal Works, Morris Trailer Sales, and Skyway Trucking

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Bring her! This is a family event!

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Your right Oldguy, if all goes well we will have the youngest attendee!

(ours is due in July as well)

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I agree with all of the previous posts. Bring your wife if you can. BUT, not all women think that hanging out at a muddy/dusty dirtbike race or ride is a fun thinkg to do. My wife happens to be one of them. She's been to about 6 of my races in the 10 years that we've known each other (6 of those we've been married).

Anyway, I made it to the Spodefest last year, a mere 6 months after my daughter was born. My wife spent the week at her parents house. You know Grandparents will take any opportunity to get their hands on the grandkids.

Here's what works for me:
You gotta give the time back. Usually, If I'm gone for a sunday race, the saturday before, I hang out and take care of my daughter all day so my wife and her friends can go shopping and go to the movies and so on. This gives her some free time and lets her get away from the baby since she's with her all week long.

My wife is a stay at home mom, so she needs time away, just like I need to ride/race in order to maintain my sanity.

It's a win win for everyone. I really enjoy the days that I spend with just my daughter, and usually since they are on days before races or rides, I take my daughter with me to the motorcycle shop. We buy parts and oil. Then, I work on my bike for 2-3 hours while she's taking a nap, then I finish getting all of my stuff ready later that night when she's gone to bed.

It's important to establish the need to "Guy's Only" type vacations. My wife is used to the fact that I go to Bike Week in Daytona and will be gone for a week. I didn't go to Bike week this year, So I'm taking the whole week off for the Spodefest and will go riding at different locations on the way up to Casey.

Good luck. You can close this deal, and we'll see you at the Spodefest. Tell your wife to get her friends and plan at trip to the beach or something. That always seems to work OK.
smile.gif

------------------
Tim Roberts
99 KDX 200
http://sera.dirtrider.net

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
Originally posted by nikki:
Bring her (and the little one) with

Or bribe her - reward her by taking her somewhere nice or doing something special together... but in return she has to let you escape for MWSF for a few days.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

lol, yea bribing her might work, too bad I spent all my money on an FMF pipe. I would love to bring her with me but I think she would be miserable, I could never get her onto a bike. I think your right Timr, what I need is to plan something for her that same weekend. She will have the baby so it wont be easy, at least I have a few months to plan. Thanks for the ideas.

Congrats Offroadr, glad to see you making new DRN members too!
smile.gif

Mac
00-KDX-200

[This message has been edited by Mac (edited 04-08-2001).]

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
hey patty and I will be there with a new poop machine! no biggie! he went to his first race at 16 days old! not by choice mine ya but when our job is doing that sometimes ya have to.

main thing the spode fest will have a whole new team there.............team pampers.

in fact we need LTM to have changing tables and diaper service?

------------------
wardy
"don't wake me.......I am working."
http://www.megacross.com

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Mac,
I can feel for ya. I have the same problem. My wife supports me to a point but gets “dirt bike overload” when ever I mention going riding or that I have to work on the bikes. She doesn’t ride and thinks it is childish to ride. At least she understands that I need the release.

I too wanted to go to the Spode fest and was going crazy trying to come up with the best way to confront her with it. What clinched it for me was taking her to a doll show 3.5 hours away and sitting for 6 hours (reading motorcycle mags of course) while she spent over $800 on dolls and doll stuff. To top it off it was her birthday too. I had been dropping subtle hints for awhile so she knew I wanted to go. On the trip home I mentioned that it was too bad I couldn’t make it to the Spodefest since it conflicted with another of her doll shows that I had promised to take her to (before I even knew about DRN much less the Spodefest). She says, why don’t you go the Spodefest. Yipee
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Now I have to convince my buddy to go. He has a bigger truck and a pop up camper. BTW, we are planning on a NY caravan fi you want to join up. You could take I88 and hook up with us in Binghamton. http://dirtrider.net/ubb2/Forum18/HTML/000215.html

Good luck

------------------
Did I do the double?
Ah,um...Sure did. I was right behind you!
My Pictures

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
Hey Wardy, what will Patty do all day when you are riding. And at night will she stay in a hotel or camp out. I doubt there will be enough for my wife to do to keep her content and I dont want her bugging me to leave because she is bored. As far as (Team Pampers) I think I have been on a few rides where I would qualify!!
smile.gif

RM_Guy, I agree I need to wait for her to ask me for something then make a deal, I hope she needs something soon. The caravan sounds great but dont count me in yet. I calculate the trip would take me 18.5 hours, this is too long for me to drive myself(but I will if I have too). If I get the OK I will e-mail you.

Mac
00-KDX-200

[This message has been edited by Mac (edited 04-09-2001).]

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
now don't go letting your wife read this \....but honestly I haven't a clue what patty did all week! I do know that she liked being there and was invovled in some of the activities.

but don't ask me what ! I just remember riding, eating, then riding, then talking, then teaching, then riding.
I remember meeting alot of people, then riding.

so i guess the best bet is to bring her along, find some things about dolls on the internet to stop on the way and way back.
many of the women there will be just relaxing and having a good time.........

we had an old motor home down there but we sold it so not sure what we are doing this year.

i will ask the wife what she thought on last years spode........

------------------
wardy
"don't wake me.......I am working."
http://www.megacross.com

Top Bottom