tsnobaddays

Feb 11, 2008
Opinion on first dirtbike *UPDATED*

I have updated my post I didnt see this in the forum until after I have posted. Thanks for any help, hope to see you at the track soon.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
I'm 6'4'' 185lbs.

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
I work out regularly / I tried to push myself hard.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
I plan on riding mostly MX.

4) Do you have any riding experience?
I have been riding a Raptor 660 for 8yrs and a old honda big red before that. I have ridden a KX250 2-stroke on a mx track, it had alot of power but I was able to handle it.

5) Do you think you will race ?
It is possible but it will only be for sport not competitive.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
yes

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
No preferance to brand or 2 or 4 cycle. It does seem the 4 strokers are taking over, this makes me lean towards a 4 stoke but I do like the sound and powerband of a 2stroke, just dont think it would be good for a beginner like me.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
There are all dealers close by.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
I would like to buy new, but probably won't be able to afford it so what ever it takes to get a reliable bike in good condition.

10) Do you live in California?
No, south Texas

11) Your age?
27 yrs young

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I want a bike that is big enough for me but something that will not be underpowered once I get the hang of things. Reliability is a plus as well, I maintain my quad very well.
:ride:

Last edited:

tsnobaddays

Feb 11, 2008
KX250 is what I believe it's called it was a 2 stroke. Rode on a MX track the power was not to bad. It did have a half worn rear tire so the rearend wouldn't hook up.

Dirtjunkie85

Mar 2, 2010
If you're not that experienced if I was you I would probably go with a 250F preferably a Honda or Kawasaki. If you get a Honda make sure its a 2006 or newer any year before that they had valve problems. A 250F will be a good bike to learn on and still has plenty of power, then if you feel like you need more power you can always sale and get a 450.

tsnobaddays

Feb 11, 2008
After reading lots of post i've noticed that 2 strokes are cheaper to rebuild and I just loved the sound they make and the way the power comes on. Would a 125 2 stroke be enough power i've heard they dont have alot of bottom end and thats what i'm use to. Just not sure if a 250 2stroke would be too much even though i've ridden one, not sure if it was at its prime.

MXcruiser

Aug 19, 2009
At 6'4" and 185 I would go with a 250 2-stroke. The 250 will give you some better lugging if you go trail riding any. I have both 2 and 4 strokes and i am looking to sell my 06 YZ450 the bike is too heavy and i don't MX at all. The 2 strokes are MUCH cheaper to maintain

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
I would suggest starting with a CR250r (or the like) 2-stroke as well. You can pick up a well maintained used one for a good price and not break the bank on upkeep.

take a look at this and other websites for-sale forums as well as cycletrader.com

If you are truly riding MX only then i would suggest getting to know people at the track and after your skills develop trade off bikes with people to determine if you want to go the 4 or 2 stroke route.

Top Bottom